“Well worth it!! ”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Providence, Rhode Island
“Well worth it!! ”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This was my 1st time going to Universal and wanted to stay at one of their resorts. We were a little skeptical with it being brand new, as most of our questions could not be answered when we booked. We stayed at the resort the last week of April into May and were extremely pleased with the resort. The staff were awesome!! Very friendly and helpful. They did try to charge us the $100/day on card, but we told them we did not need room charging privileges and so no need for that!
The decor is beautiful as is the pool area. Probably one of the nicest pool areas I have seen at a resort. There are sand areas, a fire pit, and nightly outdoor family movies.

The bayliner dinner was great! The staff there are AWESOME!! We had nightly conversations with most of them, lol. They were super friendly and the food was good and decent priced. I don't understand why everyone says its expensive, but we ate at least one meal there 5 days out of the 7 that we stayed. We never bought drinks unless we got something from Starbucks.

The shuttle service was outstanding!!
Never waited longer than maybe 2min. Leaving the resort and leaving the parks. I know it will be longer waits in the summer and once the resort fully opens, so we got very lucky with this.

The only negative experience we had was the tv would randomly shut off. We initially thought it was sensored b/c everytime my friend would get off her bed for a period of time, that is when it would happen. However I see other people had this problem as well. We also had a problem with our refrigerator not being cold but luckily we noticed in time before our stuff spoiled. They had some one come right out and replace it.

Overall we had a great time at this resort!! Thanks for making our 1st Universal experience a great one!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tb2626
Universal's C, Manager at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your great feedback! We’re delighted to hear that you chose us as your first Universal Orlando Resort! So glad to hear that you enjoyed many of our amenities, especially our Bayliner Diner. Thank you for acknowledging our Team Members. They will be thrilled you made mention of their efforts. We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the TVs. We are actively working on a permanent solution for that, so we are confident it won’t be an issue moving forward. We’re also happy to know that our Engineering staff was able to quickly assist you with the refrigerator issue.

We certainly hope you visit us again, especially once we open our Lazy River and Hideaway Bar and Grill. We’re sure you’re going to love it as much as the rest of the resort.

Have a swell day!

Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,910)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here from Monday through Friday. We actually originally wanted to Saturday but they were booked! Pleasant stay, the receptionist was confused with looking at our reservation but the other receptionist quickly helped us. It was very quick and easy. Got our room and it was amazing. Big for me and my boyfriend. The separation for the bathrooms was nice. One exception was the giant door for the toilet you had to move your body next to the toilet to close the door. The microwave made noises bc the rotation plate was not the right fit. Besides that we loved it. Shuttle was always around never had to wait. Everyone is very nice and pleasant. We got our room cleaned everyday so no skimping on that part. Easy access to everything which we loved. The cafeteria food was only ok. Overpriced for the quality but we only ate there once for breakfast. I love bright rooms which we had. No problems staying here and we took advantage of the early admission to Harry Potter world and the shuttles to CityWalk. Will definitely come back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 469paulinet
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2014

At first it looks as if you are arriving at a hospital or office buildings. However, the lobby is really very nice and I went the night before to just ask a question about checking in early the next day. A really pleasant guy answered all my questions and explained how I could make the most of my day with the early start at Universal Studios. So we arrived the next day at 7am as they said we could and yay, our room was ready. 7 am check-in! Awesome. Really clean room (hey it is new). Peculiar layout but what the heck. Daughter had her own TV with the pull out sofa so all were happy. The staff was friendly some more than others but that's life. Some of the housekeepers speak no English. Very good experience with checking in and checking out. The lady who printed our park tickets was really helpful and very friendly asking us the next day how we enjoyed our first day. The food in the late night grab and go food court leaves much to be desired. Worst Swedish Meatballs. Staff just want to go home if you come after 9. And the pasta portions are just lost in the large box they pack it in. Universal will pinch you for every penny. Double the cost here to use the laundry than other hotels. No free parking even though you are a guest. AND they charged for a local phone call! Citywalk might be free for guests but if you need a babysitter it will cost you more than a night out. We started to think we might as well have continued to stay at the Hilton Garden hotel a few blocks away because there was really not much advantage to staying here. Yes they have their shuttle buses but unlike Disneyland in California where staying on site allows you to walk back and forth from the parks, after a long day you will not want to walk more than a mile back to your hotel and staff discourages you saying you have to cross a busy road. Overall, I love new and clean but I kept wondering what it will be like if its full to capacity. I don't think I'd like to find out. I would never pay the full price to stay here. BTW we came back one day to find the tv remote on the bed and the pillow looking like it was propped up for tv watching.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Molly6147
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Family stayed here for universal trip. Room was less then expected, looked bigger then it was small toilet room. Staff was excellent and attentive stayed to have the extra room but should have stayed at another hotel for room for price for size. Other then that great place.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Starfixer
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. We apologize if your expectations were not met. We are happy to hear that you found our Team Members to be very attentive. This is absolutely one of our top goals so that our guests feel welcome. We certainly hope you visit us once again and we hope to exceed your expectations in the future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Originally, my boyfriend and I had booked a vacation package through the universal website. We soon learned this was a horrible idea. We were supposed to stay at the La Quinta on International Drive, but the hotel was not up to par with what the Universal representative had told us. The shuttle only ran once in the morning and once at night, so we would have ended up having to pay the $17 a day to park at Universal. This is not a good option for families who would want to take a break during the day. The hotel was also extremely dirty.

We immediately left and spoke with customer service at Universal who switched us to Cabana Bay. The hotel is adorable! The theme is great, the pool nice and once the lazy river opens, it will be a huge plus to staying in this hotel. The rooms were spacious and great for a family traveling with four children or a group of friends looking to stay cheap. The gym was beautiful and the bowling alley provides a great place to relax or go to on a rainy day. The food was a little expensive and keep in mind that the Universal dining plan does NOT work at the hotel. It was never a long wait for the shuttle either. Definitely take advantage of the early hour you get in Harry Potter world, we were able to get through Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey twice within a half hour and go to Ollivander's before the hour was up. Would recommend to anyone with children or a couple.

Room Tip: Recommend staying on a higher floor because it's less noisy
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank knm824
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Just returned from a 7-night stay at Cabana Bay and we had a wonderful time. I had read the reviews before we left and have to admit I was a bit nervous, but that being said, we truly didn't have any serious issues.

We arrived late afternoon and while the check-in process is a bit cumbersome and slow, the woman was thorough and friendly. I have to admit that I'm still a bit irked that we had to have a $100/ per night/per key deposit held on our credit card in order to be able to charge to the room, however, I was aware in advance so I was prepared for it. I did find it very convenient to be able to charge, not only at the hotel, but in the parks as well. I think it's a bit steep, but could live with it. We were offered assistance with our bags to the room, but declined.

The room was great. We had a 4th floor room overlooking the parking lot in Castaway and other than rude children running along the walkway, we never had noise problems. Our family has many food allergy issues, so we had groceries delivered to our room. I knew in advance the size of fridge, but I was a little surprised by the size of the tiny microwave. I also ordered a hot pot and sandwich press from Amazon and had them delivered so we were able to eat many of our meals in our room. I agree with many other reviewers that the food court was spendy, but we're talking Florida Resort. I would have been surprised if it was less expensive. It would be great if they had a few more take and eat options, such as crackers, basic bread, condiments, etc.

I only had two complaints about our room: 1) we had the opposite experience with maid service. Our first day there we put the "Privacy Please" sign out. The maids continued to knock over and over. At one point the head of housekeeping came by and let herself into the room to make sure we didn't need anything. Apparently they're trying to be responsive. 2) the sheets on the bed are not anywhere near large enough. They use the typical hotel flat sheet system for a bottom sheet, but the moment someone gets into bed, it untucks all the way round and then proceeds to wind itself around you while you're trying to sleep. If they're going to use this system, they need to have larger sheets.

We enjoyed the pool and loved the fact that there were plenty of chairs and umbrellas. We spent every afternoon at the pool and never had to search for a spot. I can't say how it will be during high season and once the full hotel is open.

We bowled and used the arcade. Yes, the bowling is spendy, but we played three games and I was more than ready to quit.

Everyone we encountered at the resort was very friendly and helpful. We never waited for the shuttle to the parks and the ride is only about five minutes.

We really enjoyed our stay and, while it had a few bumps, would definitely go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Linus K
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We checked in Monday the 12th with my family. Great start from the check-in process. Young lady "kelcie" maybe? (short, blonde hair) very nice and helpful! Then we ate at the Bayside Diner. The prices are a little high-but worth it for a resort. My son has a Gluten allergy and I asked "Alex from Ohio" what my options were, he gave me several options, very nice, and informative. Then the housekeeping service was great!! I had Evelyn? She was sweet and gave me extra towels with a smile! :)
The Cabana Bay is a really cool 1960s themed hotel and has a bowling alley!
Although we were a little misinformed about the amenities we thought the lazy river was opened already :( but maybe we can come again next year! Thanks Cabana!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank debmason64
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We are very happy to hear that your stay was memorable and that our Team Members went above and beyond to ensure you were taken care of. Please know that we have shared your comments with our Team Members and they’re thrilled to have been acknowledged for their efforts. We apologize if the timing of our Lazy River was miscommunicated to you, but we certainly hope to see you again when we open the rest of the resort (this summer).

Have a swell day!