“June 1-6th ...............Cabana Bay is Swell!!”

Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #60 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
“June 1-6th ...............Cabana Bay is Swell!!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

If you like all things Retro this is the place for you!!! We loved the atmosphere--Mad Men era. After we registered I could not stop smiling...this place is GREAT!! The music, the sights, the cocktails at the Swizzle Lounge were delicious, Great Bartender. We didn't eat to many meals at the resort, but what we had was ok. Love the décor in the rooms. I wanted to stay and rent a suite for a month....alas work calls. The bus to & from Universal worked out fantastic! What a way to enjoy your vacation. Starbucks in the am on the way to the parks by bus and you sit back, relax and enjoy the ride(5 minutes to and from). I had an accident with the ketchup machine blasting me with ketchup(pressure was turned up to high--oops) they immediately offered to have my shirt dry cleaned and since it was the day we had to leave they offered us lunch by the pool and some Cabana Bay travel cups. We will be going back! This is the place for us!! All in all, this place is Swell! :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RonBon U

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,910)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed 6/6/14-6/10/14. The standard rooms were not yet completed, so the booking deal was to get the family suite (sleeps 6) at the cost of the standard room. The room was very nice; it included a sitting room with TV, kitchenette with mini fridge, microwave, 2 single cup coffee maker, and came stocked with plenty of regular and decaf coffee, coffee condiments, and disposable plates, bowls, and plastic-ware. The beds were SUPER comfy, as were the pillows. There is an in room safe, vanity area with sink and drawers, toilet in a separate room, and shower in yet another separate room with its own sink as well. Staying at the resort gave us 1 hour early entry to Wizzarding World of Harry Potter, which was very helpful (our 4 night stay price included park to park passes for 3 days at Universal and Islands of Adventure). This resort does NOT give you "express pass" to the other rides, but honestly, with good planning, it was not needed. We rode EVERY ride at BOTH parks, and went back to our favorites multiple times, and never waited longer than 20 minutes. Planning is key - we were able to come back to our room in the heat of the day, and head back to the parks around 4pm as a lot of people were already leaving, making much shorter lines for the attractions. The hotel staff was superb, and the décor is very cute - every single thing was consistent with the retro theme. We didn't swim, but the pool looked awesome. A movie was shown outdoor every night, weather permitting, and there is a bowling area and arcade on property. Shuttles were provided to and from Citywalk, and we never had to wait for one. It seemed when one left, another arrived within minutes. Everything was VERY clean, and staff was very accommodating. I would DEFINITLY choose Cabana Bay again. When I priced all the resorts at Universal, I could stay 4 nights at Cabana Bay AND get my 3 day park to park pass for LESS than I could do 3 nights/2 day park to park pass at the other Universal resorts. Like I said, the only thing we missed out on was the "express pass" that the other resorts get, but if you plan well and can sometimes wait 20 minutes, you don't need it.

Room Tip: We had a view of the pool, it was really awesome! Other people say pool view rooms are loud and you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Rebecca Z
New Orleans, Louisiana

Visited June 1, 2014-June5,2014

We absolutely loved our stay and hated to leave. We arrived at the lobby around 3 p.m. I only had to wait about five minutes to check in. Parking was easy and we found a spot rite away. We stayed in room 1209 on the backside of the Castaway facing the parking lot. This was perfect, because noise was not a factor. The maid was just finishing our room when we arrived and the room was immaculate. It was the prefect size for a family of three. Any more family members and I may have felt a bit cramped. My room keepers must have been angels. Every day the room was made to perfection after we left it in a pig sty. I felt really guilty for this. I started picking up my stuff before leaving. My only two complaints for the room was no trash bags in the garbage cans other than the one under the sink. But they were emptied daily so it wasn't much of a problem. The other complaint is the walls are pretty thin and you can hear everything.

The pool area was amazing. The water was very cold. I didn't enjoy that too much. So I let my daughter enjoy the pool and I sat to the side and watched. Pool area was always clean. Lifeguards are great. Towels were always available and picked up. There were also complimentary life jackets. Atomic Tonic located at the pool had yummy drinks and the staff was great. Music played at the pool had something for everyone. Would have liked to experience a live band. There is also a fire pit, that is very romantic and a nice place to read and hang out. One night a guy brought out his guitar. The night movies are fun and are at the back of the pool on the soft grass.

Bus stop is off to the side and I felt they needed to add pedestrian walkways. People were crossing the roads to get to the busses. The walkway they have now is very out the way coming from anywhere but the lobby. Busses are only five minutes apart and most the time we never even had to wait. Drivers are friendly and are always happy to greet their passengers.

We tried all the areas of the lobby. First the food court. Very disappointed that the only food you can get to go is pizza. I had left overs from our drive that my daughter and I ate in the room. My husband went to the food court and didn't return for quit some time. When he returned, he told me that they did not allow him to leave the food court. They plated his pasta, he asked for a to go box and they told him no. When he tried to leave with his pasta. They were watching him and stopped him. We tried the food court as a family on our last day. The food price is the same as the theme parks, but tasted much better. The atmosphere was nice and we enjoyed talking about all the old commercials. The arcade was lots of fun and once again the staff was great. The bowling ally was a great time and it was a fun way to make new friends. Nice music and atmosphere. You pay by the hour. We hit the day special so the price really was not bad and in an hour we were able to bowl two and a half games. Only problem was the lane sometimes had a big delay in setting up pins. But our time was added back by the machine before our game expired. Staff was also great and was always checking if we needed something to drink or eat. The gift shop was nice. Was upset that there was not more Cabana Bay merchandise. It was just the same items as the parks. Last but not least is the Starbucks. Visited once. Did not go back. I was the only person that had placed an order. I sat right in front of them and they still forgot my order. I only ordered one drink. After more than ten minutes of waiting, the manager finally brought me my drink with only a sorry.

All in all, the stay here was fantastic! I usually stay at the Disney All Star resorts, but this has won me over. The staff were just amazing and very friendly. We can not wait to stay again. Thank you for a great time.

1 Thank ancfire
Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 June 2014

When we pulled up to the resort around 11am, a super friendly employee was right there to greet and guide us. He allowed me to park in front of the building while my husband checked-in (if you are by yourself, there is a parking lot just for checking in). I guess since this is new hotel, a lot of the rooms were readily available which was nice for us! They gave him a resort map and individual key cards with our names printed on it that I will definitely keep. :) You can also use the cards to pay for charges throughout the resort. Parking ($10/day) is very convenient, you get to park right outside your assigned building. We were also given a map but there were signs everywhere pointing to wherever you needed to go so you can never got lost. They didn't offer late check out (I guess cos it was a Saturday) but was told we can stay and enjoy the resort as long as we wanted. Check out is 11am so we packed up and headed to the pool (you need your key card to enter) before we headed back home. Beach towels were free and located in several white tents throughout the pool area. No showers in the pool bathrooms but there are outside showers where you can rinse off.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chloe T
LaGrange, Georgia
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

My family and I enjoyed our stay. The room was smaller than what we are use to but they are awesome. The hotel amenities are great especially the big pool. The location is great. We loved it and plan to stay here again. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank cabbage77
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is one affordable place inside the Resort. It is extremely comfortable and very convenient too. Nice. clean, spacious, nice smiling staff. Complementary bus to and from the attraction from 7 am to 2 am. Ticketing desk in the lobby is there for all necessary ticketing and information. Starbucks inside. A food court is also there, though closes at 10pm. What I loved most was their bed and pillows. It was extremely comfortable. It is only for the pillows and the bed I am awarding them 5 star. Otherwise, a 4 star would have done ;)
Nice retro music playing all the time.
The universal store inside has interesting things and other basic things like paracetamols too.
Loved the place actually :)
Though some people complain about the noise i didnt have any problem on that regard. May be I was too drained after the park visits and the pillow was too comfy to drain everything out !!

4 Thank TasiraS
Universal's C, Manager at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
We’re thrilled to hear that you had a great experience at our resort. Thank you for reviewing your stay and providing us with your great feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that you loved our pillows.

Thank you for your kind compliments regarding our staff, too!

We’re looking forward to your next visit to Cabana Bay.

Have a swell day,

Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort Management
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Love the atmosphere and theme of the hotel but VERY DISAPPOINTED!. The food court is not as good as Disney's. I was disappointed with the food and cost plus they closed too early. when you came back from the parks you better has eaten because we weren't getting anything from there.. We went to Disney for mardi gras in February and had the dining plan which was excellent. Universal still has a long way to go. The galaxy bowling was awesome that was a plus. The swimming pool is beautiful but then again the pool closes too early. If you want to enjoy the pool and all the amenities you have to stay at the hotel and not go to the parks. The Hot tub was awesome also until you have a dozen of young kids who decided to make it into a swimming pool. Then you can not enjoy that either. they jump in it and swim under water with there goggles on. They really need to monitor this also, well the parents anyway.

Then Lets get to the rooms....small for a suite. we usually stay at Homewood Suites not even 5 minutes from Universal. I guess we are just spoiled to that place. The one bedroom suite are roomy with a great sofa sleeper, full kitchen with stove, microwave and full refrigerator. FREE Breakfast with Free dinner with Free beer/wine.This room we had at Cabana Bay Beach Resort was suppose to fit 6 people comfortably when it barely fit 4. We had 5 people and had nowhere to store our luggage. The sofa sleeper was so hard if felt like you were sleeping on the pavement outside. The bathroom where the toilet is was very hard to shut the door unless you straddled the toilet. We did like the vanity separate from the toilet/tub that way 2 or 3 people could get ready at one time.

The air condition, you better not shut the door between the room and living room, or the living room area would get hot, the air couldn't circulate. Then if someone decided to stay up and watch TV in the living room/ room, the light would shine through the glass that separates the rooms. The TV also shuts down while watching it for no reason. then when you turn it back on the volume control is at 20 and you have to find your channel all over again.

Parking...If you book at room at a hotel you would think that parking is in included...WRONG!!!!! $10.00 per night. So you thing you getting a great deal by getting these rooms at a low price, but you are not since parking is not included. We found out after the fact. Once we got there. Normally Parking is included.

Bill: watch out for double charges. we went eat at hard rock café and I used my credit card, but somehow it was charged to my room, making me have a double charge.

Over than that the staff was very friendly, The resort very clean, really, really enjoyed not having to bring a beach towel to the pool, they supply the towels for you. Just not sure if I/we would stay here again.

Sincerely Your,
Very Disappointed!! :[

6 Thank Robynn H
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at our property. We would like the opportunity to discuss the details of your experience further.

Please contact us at customerservice@cabanabayorlando.com with the best method to contact you and please include your TripAdvisor Username. We look forward to touching base with you soon.

Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort Management