“Family friendly”

Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #59 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We live in central florida so we only stayed one night. This is a great resort for kids. Lots to do nice pools, arcade, recreation room, places to play outside. Room was clean and appropriate. I have to say I was not impressed with the large groups of adolescent foreign travelers. Loud vulgar language and inappropriate hand gestures were just a few things I did not need my children ages 7-9 seeing from this group. Other than that and housekeeping knocking on our door at 8:30am asking when we were checking out. Last I saw check out was 11:00. All and all we had a great time my kids can't wait to come back. My advice for couples looking for a relaxing resort you may want to look elsewhere this is definitely a kid friendly resort.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Madsmom456

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We always stay at Disney resorts and only strayed away from that once and stayed at Nickelodeon (and it was awful) so we were a little nervous. This resort was amazing, we were happy from the minute we got there! The pool was great, the little extras like the pool table, horseshoes etc. were so fun! The rooms were great we just had a wonderful stay and would certainly recommend it.

7  Thank Theroders3
Reviewed 13 July 2014

What a fabulous time we had at this "value resort" gem!! Its old style theme is very unique and the amenities are wonderful! Throughout the resort there are great iconic flashback items, I loved the music, I felt like I was in the old classic movie “Where the Boy’s Are” (without the drama, of course)! The kids had an awesome time at the pool, slide and lazy river. They offer so many things for the kids to do. There are 2 great bars for the adults and restaurant. An old style fitness center, a huge arcade and get this.. a 10 lane bowling alley. We didn’t want to leave. The accommodations were clean and so comfortable. I loved that they had VO5 and zest! The Staff was helpful and so friendly!! I had a tiny issue with 1 (who may not have been properly trained) but it was handled fast and easy by an amazing Manager, I think his name was Maurice Cioos, who went over and beyond to accommodate and apologize..again it was minor.. but I’m very impressed!! I look forward to returning soon! My kids had a blast and I got much need relaxation! Well done Universal!!

16  Thank EJewelS73
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here the week of the Diagonal Alley opening. The hotel is beautifully decorated, but loses a lot of its appeal because the staff is not friendly. We stayed in a family suite which was clean and comfortable. The pools were both nice. We really enjoyed the lazy river, but were disappointed to find out you had to buy the floats. I don't recall seeing that on the hotel website. They also charge for parking which was a surprise as well. The bus system was nice. The buses ran frequently and most of the drivers were friendly and very informative. If you have questions I suggest asking them instead of the hotel staff. We spoke with multiple hotel staff during our stay, most of which were snappy and rude. We are annual pass holders, so we will definitely go back to the area, but this won't be our first choice for a hotel. They really need to do some customer service training if they want to compete with Disney.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mom0306
Universal's C, Manager at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. We sincerely apologize for the lack of communication about our parking charges and the Lazy River floats when you booked your reservation. While we do offer tubes/floats for sale that may be used in our Lazy River, it certainly isn’t required to have a pleasant time while relaxing in the river. Also, if guests wish to bring their own tubes, we are happy to fill them free of charge.

We are very sorry to hear that your experience with our Team Members was less than stellar. One of our goals is for every guest to feel at home and for their interaction with our Team Members to be both enjoyable and pleasant. We apologize if this was not the case. Please know that through your valuable feedback, we are able to further train our staff on the great customer service we strive to provide to our guests.

We certainly hope your next stay with us is fun and memorable.

Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort Management

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed with 3 other families all with elementary age kids. Food in the hotel is mediocre and a bit expensive but we got breakfast food and sandwich meats at supermarket and kept it in the room fridge. Pools and lazy river are nice. Hotel was new so no complaints there. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

We would stay again!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Barry S
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We found this was a superb hotel for all. The room was 100% fantastic! clean and comfortable. The pools, lazy river were great. The children's play area was fantastic and safe, so you could relax and had no worries. The food hall was vey good and had some good choices of food, the only downside was the menu was the same everyday but with the amount of restaurants available in the area this was ok. The prices of food and drink were good ($60 for family of 5). All staff were very helpful and polite and were always wanting to help. The hotel and all the grounds it's situated in are very secure a plenty of parking.

I would recommended this to anyone for a superb family holiday.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are good, but we had a room on the 4th floor which was great for the views across Orl...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank DrewCrees
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently visited Universal Orlando and stayed at the new Cabana Bay resort. While it is a very nice and clean hotel, I had a few issues.

One of the things touted on their web site is the Lazy River in their pool courtyard. I am a big fan of lazy rivers, and have enjoyed them at numerous resorts and water parks. The way every lazy river I have been to works is that there are tubes floating in the lazy river and you simply grab one and float. At the Cabana Bay they make you purchase a tube first ($12) each. Very cheesy! Since most visitors fly to Orlando this is a waste of money and of tubes, since very few people have room in their luggage to take tubes home.

The second issue I had was that the resort had several teen groups in attendance (large groups of more than 50 teens). These groups were largely unsupervised, and numerous times we were awakened by groups of un supervised teens running up and down the hallways screaming at the top of their lungs, and groups singing very loudly in the common areas. Calls to the front desk resulted in no relief at all.

7  Thank mikemI3725NO

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay. Your feedback is very valuable to us, as it puts us in touch with our guests and their experiences at our resort. We sincerely apologize if you were disappointed with the services we offer. While we do offer tubes for sale that may be used in our Lazy River, it certainly isn’t required to have a pleasant time while relaxing in the river. Also, if guests wish to bring their own tubes, we are happy to fill them free of charge.

We are very sorry if other guests disrupted your vacation. Thanks to your feedback, we will do our best to better monitor our public areas and hallways for similar situations in the future. We strive to provide happy, memorable experiences for our guests and we regret that this was not your experience.

We hope that your next visit to Cabana Bay will be fun-filled and enjoyable.

Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort Management