“Long Wait, slow service.”
Review of Bongos Cuban Cafe

Bongos Cuban Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Bongos Cuban Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #309 of 3,923 Restaurants in Orlando
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lake Buena Vista
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Bongos has a great vibe with outdoor an bar, live outdoor music, an indoor bar and live indoor music. The decor is island-like with chairs and tables. There appeared to be an outdoor patio area on the water.

My reservation was for 8:40 pm and they didn't seat me until 9:25pm... That's a sign of bad time management on the restaurants' part.

Friday and Saturday nights, there is live music. The music inside is excellent, although VERY loud. It is so loud that you will be unable to communicate with anyone at your table, so you need to talk quickly, in-between musical sets.

I ordered a pitcher of Sangria Royal ($45), which was different because they use an entire bottle of champagne as a mixer. I enjoyed a few of the Cuban beers.

I ordered Parrillada Mariscos ($40) and was pleasantly surprised by the flavorful mussels, clams, shrimp and lobster tail. The flavor was excellent.

The service was spotty at best. The bartender went out of her way to make sure my drinks were filled. However, my waiter was so inundated by large groups of tables that I barely saw him. He needed help...badly. When he realized I spoke spanish, I noticed he became much more attentive.

The true fun came when the salsa dancing started near the stage. ¡Mí gusta bailar! It was a fun time with plenty of beautiful ladies as dance partners.

I'd recommend checking out Bongos, just expect to be there awhile.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,734)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

First time trying Cuban food. Went to downtown Disney to try this place out at dinner time between 5:30-6:00. It took a while to get seated. Hostesses were unfriendly. The table wasn't ready when the hostess lead us to it so our family of 5 were just standing in the walkways with the hostess until it got clean.

I ordered the Cuban trio that the waiter suggested with the shredded chicken, pork and beef. No flavor except for salt. The 3 dipping sauce weren't any good. All oily with vinegar or spice. Definitely, not worth $30. My husband and children did not enjoy their meals either. I hope it was just bad dishes that we got or I might not give Cuban food another try.

1  Thank Lisa X
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Finally tried Bongo's Cuban Cafe years after moving to Orlando,FL. My husband and I went with another couple to celebrate our 26th year wedding anniversary. What a big mistake & HUGE disappointment this place was for us. We changed tables because the waiter was downright unfriendly & talked down to us. Secondly, our food took longer to arrive than expected. Thirdly, my friend's steak was almost raw, which she ordered medium well. My food was so bland I hardly ate it. The music was too loud & we were sweating because the air conditioning didn't seem to work. All in all, the worst restaurant we've ever been to in Orlando. No ambiance, too noisy, poor service & lousy food. We spent $100 for this??? Never again.

1  Thank Marifran88
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

First off, it took way too long to be seated. Then, the hostess walked very fast and my family was barely able to keep up with him. This got me very annoyed. Then, after waiting almost fifteen minutes, the waiter finally arrived. He was EXTREMELY rude, had a bad attitude, and talked down to me. He demonstrated a high level of immaturity. When I asked him for a martini, he very rudely responded, "you got id?" I did not have id, and was unable to get the drink I wanted. Overall, the guy was extremely rude and should not be a waiter. Instead, he should work in a place that does not require "people skills." If you do decide to eat at this restaurant, make sure you do not get served by this particular waiter; he is average height, bald, with a heavy Spanish accent. I am not writing this review only on the premise of this guy's immaturity and bad attitude; the food was terrible. I ordered the shrimp with garlic sauce, and quite frankly, it was bad. I only received 6 shrimp in total and the rice was very dry and poorly cooked. For a meal that costs twenty-five dollars it should be of much higher quality. Overall, I am very unsatisfied with my entire experience at Bongos, and I will never return. Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I hope I have convinced you to avoid eating at this very low-class establishment. You work hard for your money, don't spend it on garbage like this place

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were on vacation in Orlando and decided to go to Downtown Disney. First of all, there is a lot of construction on 2 new parking garages they are building there so parking is tough. Valet parking is available but it's $20. We had a small 30 minute wait for a table. The music from the live Cuban band inside was exciting and fantastic! We got our table and it was a cozy nook on the first floor. We had a fun waiter and the food was fabulous! We had to take some back to our room. The whole time the band was playing and a lot of people dancing. This was a fun and fantastic place to go! Yes, it's a little pricey but that's what you expect at Disney on vacation. They had a children's menu also. We would go back again!!!