“Great Brunch Deals” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Orlando
“Great Brunch Deals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I attended the Grand Opening of Lotus a while back and the food was fantastic. Went back a few weeks ago for Sunday brunch and the set up had changed completely. They now offer a continental/buffet style breakfast. All you can eat for $20, and for an extra $10 you get unlimited drinks. The all you can drink drinks alone was worth the deal. Make sure to try the bloody mary's, they are extra strong and spicy.

• Visited September 2013

Tampa, FL
“Great Concept - Almost There...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

The restaurant's ambiance was nice but the temperature was about 5 degrees colder than was comfortable. There is probably a good reason for this - they were expecting more people. There were about two dozen people there when we arrived - but around 75% of the restaurant was empty on this second Tuesday night of September.

We ordered the special, which was $49 for a bottle of inexpensive bubbly, and 2 appetizer, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts. That's a great deal! The calamari was not fried and I initially thought it was some sort of processed cheese swirled in a spicy red tomato sauce. I quickly realized that I'm not the biggest fan of boiled calamari... The corn chowder soup with black beans was reasonable but nothing special. For the entrees I had the Salmon Burger which had avocado and sun-dried tomato. Personally, I think the salmon burgers I cook at home from Costco are better... My wife's mushroom pasta dish was good. It had an earthy mushroom flavor which was nice. The champagne was inexpensive but reasonable. We ordered the desserts to go. They are small portions but they look, smell, and taste really good.

Our waitress was a local student who was more accustomed to a lower class restaurant than Lotus. She didn't pour our mineral water, instead, she left it in the bottle and only asked if we wanted a glass when we looked at her as if she wasn't done. I still has to pour it myself. Later, when I inquired about the ingredients of my dinner, she seemed unsure. Her personality was nice and she kept checking on us without being annoying.

Their music selection was about as eclectic as the menu. For example, here's a 10 minute time slice of what they played:

Right Here Right Now, by Jesus Jones.
Quit Playing Games with My Heart by The Backstreet Boys.
Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke.
Round Here by Counting Crows.
Take On Me by Aha.

I don't even know how you link those songs in that order but they did it.

Either way, what I found was a nice restaurant that is only 3-4 weeks old that is still finding their way, but they have almost what it takes to be unique and successful.

• Visited September 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Thank God Prickly Pear is Dead”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We went to this place on a whim, as it has been open only for about 3 weeks. It is a farm to table place, with local and regional produce and meats, as well as organic wines etc. When we walked in, there was a private party at the bar, and it looked like everyone was under 27. There was only 2 tables full, and we were nervous, especially after our horrible experiences at the predecessor place, Prickly Pear. Boy am I glad we stayed. My wife and I split a salad that had brie, strawberries, and date bread. It was good. My wife had the corn chowder with a spicy bread ball in the middle, and it was good. I had the fried oysters, and they were pounded flat and New Orleans style. Very good. For the main course, I had a pasta dish which had goat cheese in it, and it was good. My wife had the chicken dish and she really enjoyed it. The wines were pedestrian, but were reasonably priced. Service was very good. We did not order dessert, as the menu did nothing for us. By the time we left at 9, the place was packed, with 25 to 35 year olds, all the beautiful people. If you are over 50 or with a family, go early. I would not rush back, but highly recommend it and will go again. There are other things I would like to try on the menu.

• Visited August 2013