“Hotel was ok, has issues for me”

Aloft Orlando Downtown
Ranked #90 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Austin, Texas
“Hotel was ok, has issues for me”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I liked the Aloft brand, I enjoy the clean minimal design...however. I felt this hotel was all of that and then some. Aloft is know for it's clean fresh hip minimalist design. I loved the lobby and gathering area. The bar was great the bartenders fun and knowledgeable, the drinks...oh yes! I especially loved the Asian pear martini. The bedding and beds were very nice, comfortable and high quality.
Now what really didn't work me. I was attending a wedding so this was the venue and a ton of my family was in the hotel. This hotel was is not for women (or kids for that matter). I travel with my two girls both teens. We are experienced travelers, we love it. So this comes from a place of experience.
The shower had only dispensers for shampoo in the bathroom. It was shampoo/conditioner in one kind of shampoo. Uhmmm no, that doesnt work with longer hair at all. The dispenser was set so high on the wall my 13 yr old could barely reach it. Seriously?
I paid for a Savvy Suite, it was NOT worth it in anyway. Just a large empty space with another tv but no couch to watch. There was two desk chairs - one of which I was using as a night stand by the bed, and one rocking chair. Blah, not worth the extra cost since the room was unusable. There was only valet so the price is what is listed plus the cost of valet - $20, I think.
There was a breakfast area by the reception desk, pay as you go. Also, since the NBA training camp was at the hotel there was a buffet available for purchase. I took a look then took a pass.
All in all, I won't stay here again. I won't mark Aloft off my list in all locations but I am going to be more careful of the brand in the future.

Room Tip: Don't spring for the Savvy Suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
East Tennessee
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Loved this hotel. I was travelling on business and normally stay at the Grand Bohemian, which I love. The Aloft is only a block away, was $30 less/night and internet was included. Great customer service - when my flight was cancelled at the last minute I called the hotel and they gladly changed my reservation from 2 nights to 1 with no problem and no penalty. Then when I checked in they upgraded me to a suite which was very spacious and comfortable. The decor of the hotel is very contemporary, but still attractive and comfortable. I will definitely stay here again!

1 Thank lgbtn
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Nice fresh hotel in a great spot in Orlando downtown, close to all within walking distance.
Mostly for business people and one-nighters.

Breakfast is not anything to write about - not impressive!

Expensive Valet

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear HenningHawk,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us - we loved having you. We hope that you will stop by again soon. Happy travels!
Orlando
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel opened in late 2013 and they did a nice job. I recently had to stay in downtown Orlando, which has few nice options. A few inns and the Grand Bohemian nearby. Most of the other hotels (Doubletree, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza and Embassy Suites) are sub-par, so this is a nice addition. I have stayed in several Aloft properties and the staff here is consistent and the property is better appointed than most. The customer service great and the staff was courteous and professional. I believe once the art's center opens across the street, this hotel will be a happening place. This hotel is walking distance to many restaurants in downtown and the Orlando's Arena, entertainment district called Church Street and not far from the Cities "Central Park" Lake Eola. The hotel is adjacent to Lake Lucerne, which offers great walking path and there are nearby areas of Lake Davis and Cherokee for scenic walking as well. All rooms are large and have kitchenette's and such. Don't bother with an upgraded room, they are larger, but there size is odd and not utilized very well. The bar is busy, apparently a lot of non guest use it, there is a odd pool area and outside patio. Parking is plentiful around the hotel for free if you you don't want to pay for parking. Lastly, the hotel is apparently desperate for money still and renting the basement "ballroom" out to parties. While I was there for three days, these groups were intrusive and added to the already crowded setting. On Saturday (I realize no fault to the hotel) a very large fight broke out in the lobby and valet area. To the point that my wife was fearful someone would draw a weapon. It was a near riot, no really. Police was called but they took there time and I was actually fearful for the safety of the guest and staff. If management reads this, please be hesitant to renting space to individuals who do not plan to stay at the property as most of the attendees were clearly not staying at the hotel.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My first experience of the Aloft concept - i picked it because i needed somewhere in downtown Orlando and it was in the right place at the right price.
Nice very big room felt spacious and comfortable. They have the Sheraton option of not having the room serviced in exchange for points or vouchers, which is quite nice if you're away from home for work because it makes it feel a bit more like having your own place knowing that staff won't be coming in - so no need to make any effort to tidy up!
The Aloft concept is kind of a funky style which makes a nice change from the typical hotel decor.
Good beds, good shower, minimalist ementies, but all the essentials.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Ian D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time at our property. We loved having you! We hope that you will visit us again soon. Take care.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Fantastic spacious room, close to everything. The beds are amazing - so comfortable! I won't stay anywhere else in Orlando. Everything I'd expect from a W brand, or as they say "vision of W Hotels".

My only issue is the nightly parking rate of $20 in a wee high, but you really have no choice in this neighborhood if you drive (I think there is free street parking around...somewhere?)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel lobby & bar are definitely modern meets minimalist. The colors are bold and reflect the overly friendly staff. During the entire four hours we never met an employee who not only greeted us, but went out of their way to ensure we had the best possible experience.
The pool is located literally out front (you would need to be very confident in a swimsuit), but ensured a great view. It was a real urban oasis amongst the downtown office buildings.
The drink prices and snacks were in line with hotel prices. This was even more appreciated as I watched both bartenders free pour solid four counts
I was so impressed with the service, staff and drinks that I booked an overnight stay for a concert later this month.
Favorites : Extremely friendly employees. Location is in the middle of "Church Street" action and only 5 minutes from the Amway Center.
Notes : As previously reported, there is only valet parking at a high end $20. The pool view and WXyz Bar are outstanding.

• Stayed June 2014