“Great location”

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #79 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Just got back from a 12 night stay at Saratoga. This was the first time we have stayed at this resort and found the overall experience good. We had a few issues with door cards having to swap them for new ones a few times as we were unable to get into the room. The management don't appear to be too concerned with the issue which we found frustrating and had it not been for the excellent service received by our bell man upon check out the service would have been rated as poor. Mouse keeping never appears to follow the schedule it should (for dvc) either. Apart from those few issues the resort is in a great location and would recommend a room in congress park. We had a good service on the busses during a busy holiday period which was a plus as I had heard busses were few and far between. I would recommend this resort and will be going back again.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank jazzykazLondon

Reviewed 9 June 2011

Beautiful property convenient walk or boat ride to downtown Disney. Bus or private car to the parks. Quiet, yet family friendly. A great choice.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank DCDoctor
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The Villas at Saratoga Springs are beautiful, large and new. They are as close to a mid-luxury apartment complex as it is possible to be. This is both the benefit and the flaw. They are truly a great place to stay, but like Old Key West, they lack the theme and magic that one expects from Disney. There is no feeling of walking into a different world, but the hotel is still very nice.

If Animal Kingdom, Wilderness, Bay Lake and the Boardwalk area villas are full, this isn't a bad alternative, but it's not a first choice. There's really nothing wrong with Saratoga, except that it isn't the others.

Room Tip: All rooms are relatively equal at this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank FPodesta
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I try to get to Disney as much as I can. On the average every 2-3 yrs. In addition to staying out of the park, I've stayed at a variety of resorts in the park. Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans, Contemporary, and Boardwalk. Saratoga Springs proved itself to be just as wonderful as all the others. Both pools were fabulous and they are building another one in the Paddock section which should be done next year (i think) That looks like it wil be awesome! Dinner at the Turf Club was the best dinner we had all week. It was perfect. The boat ride over to Down Town Disney is delightful. Staff, grounds, room, etc were all spotless. I read a couple of negative things about this resort being SO gigantic that it causes a problem.....it was bigger than any other I've stayed at. I mean there is a bit of an issue if you wanted to just go refill your mug and grab a snack..... we were in the paddock, and it was a bit far to just run over for a quick soda, but it did not hinder our trip. I also did read that the bus service was a bit slow. I felt like that was true, however, the distance to the park was not bad at all so that made up for the wait time. One tip I've learned - making your way to Fort Wilderness for the Hoop Dee Doo from any Disney Resort can take forever (unless you are at the Contemporary!) Skip the multiple bus/boat trips and just take a cab to save time on your arrival. It only costs like $9 - then take your time and boat/bus it on the way back!! Love you Disney.... Can't wait to get back!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank danniwit
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Just like all Disney properties, this hotel is kept up beautifully. It is in a great location, and you can easily walk to downtown Disney instead of having to wait for a bus or use other transportation. We fully utilized the pool area for grilling and had a great time!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brandi2409
Reviewed 3 June 2011

My husband and I picked this resort to spend on our honeymoon! It was everything we hoped it would be. Relaxing, peaceful, beautifully landscaped. It was a dream come true. We had a one bedroom villa and it was bright and spacious. There was a large balcony that had a beautiful view of the fairways. We also found it very convenient to have a spa on grounds. The staff is the kindest we had ever encountered. They truely make your stay as pleasant as possbile. We had a great time! We are staying here again on our next trip for the week of 4th July! Can't wait!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cfeiock
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I had an enjoyable holiday staying in the Congress park section of Saratoga Springs for 2 weeks from the 14th – 28th May, I was worried after reading reviews on here that the resort would be huge but I found that no apartment was more than 5 minutes walk from reception and Turf club/Artists Palette. Then again given the size of some of the guests and unwillingness to walk even a few meters I can see how this may be a problem for them.

Pools - The resort pools were all very good, if you have kids I would suggest staying in the Grandstand section as the pool here is more child orientated with numerous water guns for the kids to spray at each other in the kids area of the pool. The Congress park pool is very nice and while having a playground nearby is more suited to adults (my kids still had a great time in this pool). The main pool was also very good with 2 slides and a hot tub, there was also a video arcade next to the pool that the children enjoyed visiting.

Restaurants - In my opinion the food served at this hotel was very poor, the Turf Club was something out of Kitchen Nightmares, when I read the menu I was surprised at some of the offerings and wondered if the given dish would work – they didn’t… If you do eat here go for a burger (not the chicken burger) which was actually quite good. Everything else that I tried here was poor, terrible Calamari, horrible chicken burger, shredded buffalo wings with blue cheese – did not work.

The Artists Palette was below average, my son enjoyed the flatbread pizza from here but the other offerings that I sampled were not very good. You can also purchase a refillable resort mug but this only allows you fizzy drinks, my family received one each as we were on the dining plan but only used the mugs on 2 occasions – this was due to not wanting to give my kids fizzy drinks all the time and also due to the locations of the soda fountains being far away from the rooms. On a plus the Pizza delivery to the room was good and the Pizza very tasty (Pizza delivery is by a different company).

Rooms -The Studio that we stayed in was of a good size, we could have done with more storage but overall I cannot complain and the room was also clean with everything in working order with a flatscreen TV (some reviews mention that they had the old style TV’s), one thing that is needed is WiFi, strange that it is not available and would be a big plus if they introduced.

Location of the resort – A great positive of this resort is being in walking distance of Downtown Disney, from Congress Park it is only a 5-7 minute walk, I had considered staying at the animal kingdom lodge but after eating at Boma there one evening and seeing the number of people from this hotel getting the bus to downtown Disney of an evening I decided that I had made the right choice. I overheard a number of the Animal Kingdom lodge guests debating if it would have been better to stay at Saratoga due to its location next to Downtown Disney and was left with the impression that the Animal Kingdom lodge may have very little to do of an evening.

Buses – Overall I found the buses to be regular for Saratoga to all parks except Magic Kingdom?? I am not sure why there always seemed to be a delay in getting a bus to or from Magic Kingdom given that this is the main park? But for all other parks the connections were good and I never had more than a 10 minute wait.

Would I recommend Saratoga – Yes, if you can get a good deal or are a vacation club member I would recommend the resort, it is good value, has OK connections and has a good location next to Downtown Disney.

Would I stay at Saratoga again – Probably not, I was on the dining plan and was therefore able to visit a number of the Disney hotels, from these visits I decided that I would stay at the Polynesian (I like the theming, pool, location and that it is on the monorail), or the Beach/Yacht club – great pool, location. Both of these hotels are more expensive than Saratoga and so it is unfair to compare but as I next plan to visit Disney in 4-5 years I would rather spend the few days that I am there staying in a better location.

On a positive I would class Saratoga as far better than the Contempory hotel which really should be demolished - the California grill was a very good restaurant and Chef Mickey’s was great for lunch but it does not take away how ugly the building is, you feel like you are staying in a 1970’s public housing block. I would also rather stay at Saratoga than Wilderness lodge which I was not impressed with when visiting Mickey’s Backyard BBQ.

If you choose Saratoga I am sure you will have a great holiday, just be aware of the pros and cons.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family