“Definitely 4 stars. Definitely not 5.”

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #78 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Boston, MA
“Definitely 4 stars. Definitely not 5.”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This hotel came highly recommended to us - which might be why we were a little disappointed. It was totally fine...but not over the top. However, that said, it totally worked for our family.
We had read the reviews about how large the resort is and about how 'tired' the rooms were and got a little nervous. Now that we've stayed there I can understand the comments. My take on this was that the resort is really large - but you're really only staying in your room and going back-forth to the main building. It didn't seem that any of the "sections" were all that far from the main building. The rooms are dated in that they have an out-of-style feel to them but they were clean and not torn to shreds or anything. We found some videos on You Tube of people who posted videos of their rooms here and I think they were valuable to see.
So - all that said - we are a family of 5. Two adults and 3 kids under 5. Just going to Disney was an adventure for our family. We opted for the 2-room villa which was perfect. The two older kids had their own sleeping section and the baby slept in a pack and play in the master bath. The rooms come with a pack and play and a high chair. We brought our own pack/play mattress pad and sheets and were glad we did. (Every time the baby rolled over it was kind of 'loud' and woke her up until we put the mattress pad on.) The kitchenette was a good size. We ordered groceries from Garden Grocer to be delivered the night we arrived which was HUGE. We had breakfast, lunch and most dinners in our room and were very thankful to - our kids are so young we knew it would be tough to do restaurants all of the time. And it was soooo much cheaper. (We spent $250 on groceries, including snacks and juice boxes for the park and $300 on the 3 restaurant meals we had.) The main room was a decent size. We actually rolled the coffee table out of the room into the bedroom to give us some extra play room.
The kids were REALLY into the pool. We initially spent all of our time at the main pool. (Our room was in The Grandstand.) We didn't like the pool at the Grandstand because the sprinkler things were broken and the pool didn't have a shallow area so it was tough to manage with three kids. The pool at the main house was nice because it had both a zero-entry area, life jacket rental, a small toddler water slide and a bigger kid water slide and a little sprinkler area. Somehow we managed this area with three kids and two adults. We soon discovered the pool at the Paddock section, however, which was way better suited to little kids - plus the big pool there had a big water slide that my 4 year old loved. This is where the 'huge resort' and 'tons of walking' thing comes into play. It was a haul for us with the little kids. We brought one umbrella stroller and rented a double at the parks. We should have used the stroller rental service where they deliver the double stroller to your room. Our kids were just too little to do all the walking to the pool we did like and back and really, too small to do all the walking between all the buses and park entrances, etc....it was A LOT for the little kids. You can't go wrong having a stroller at all times with a bunch of little kids.
One of the reasons we stayed at the Grandstand section was that our friends had told us this was the first bus stop. This was nice in that it was the first pick up stop so we were always guaranteed a seat. It was also the first stop on the way back so when our kids were tired we just had to get back to the hotel and we were the first ones off. This was uber helpful for us.
One weird thing about the room I feel i have to mention is that the bathrooms all have fans that automatically go on when it senses you are in them. The main bathroom was actually divided into three sections (toilet, sink and shower, sink and tub) and if you walked through it the fans would all go on. I think I was sensitive to this because we were trying to help the kids nap and just when it was quiet all the fans would go off.)
I am not sure we'd stay here again. I think we'd try to find a place closer to the parks and maybe one a little newer. We also had issues with the buses while we were there. From what I hear this was an anomaly but we had days where it took us an hour from when we left our room to get inside the park. That is just miserable with three little kids.
I did really like the size of the kitchen area. There was ample tools in the kitchen to cook meals like mac and cheese, tacos, spaghetti, etc. It was a tad annoying that the TV didn't have on-demand and we realized late in the trip there was a DVD player and apparently you could rent videos in the main building. The main building also had a little store where you could buy a lot of groceries - everything from salt and pepper to bacon, sour cream, cheese, etc.
We found the people at the hotel to be kind of helpful. By this I mean they fall all over themselves to address you and give your kids stickers but a) there are a lot of socially awkward people who are just uncomfortable to talk to and b) I can't count the number of times I asked directions to something and walked away totally confused. We also had some confusing issues when it came to adding days to our passes.
Couple of hints about your trip - our baby ended up with an ear infection on the plane on the way down. We actually had a pediatrician, who traveled with medicine, in our hotel room only about an hour after we checked in. This is huge to know. You have to ask for it - otherwise the hotel just tells you to take a bus or taxi to a medical center. Another is that if you want to go to SeaWorld the people at Disney could not be less helpful. However I did find a cab company that was willing to pick us up, with 3 car seats, and take us to SeaWorld for a total of $18 each way. Another is that with little kids they will be really overwhelmed by EVERYTHING so build in plenty of down time. The kids will be just as excited to play in the pool as they will be to go to the parks (if not more so) and even though everyone told us this we totally underestimated it.

5 Thank JMComerford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,008)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 6 June 2012

A group of four friends stayed comfortably in a treehouse villa. These isolated, individual, uniquely shaped octagonal homes offer Disney cleanliness and standards in a woodsy environment. You are surrounded by nature and it is a delightful escape. The only negative is transportation. The buses service the community, but not well. You should have a car if you wish to stay here.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DCDoctor
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This was our third week at Disney World in our third property for this vacation. We found that the rooms were extra clean and we got the location we requested. The pool crew played to both young children and tweens keeping them all active. The buses were pretty regular to the parks and the staff always had a smile. If you take a bus from the parks at closing time be prepared to wait in line for three to four bus exchanges. My impression is that it is a Disney issue not a Saratoga issue. We stayed here two years ago and found that the upkeep on the resort was still top notch. Our favorite is still Boardwalk Villas just because of location, however, we would have no problem returning to the Springs in the future.

Room Tip: If you drink non alcoholic beverages besides bottled water buy the resort cup and you can refill sod...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 3cholmes
univ. of fl
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Check in:..fast due to late hour..we were the only ones in line..but when we asked about upgrading the cast member told us that they were full..hard to believe with an empty parking lot..We(two guys) requested two beds and got 1 full size and a sleeper sofa studio

The room: spartan like usual..We were shocked to hear bird noises coming from the room next door and sporadic bratty kids crying..but it's disney..

Housekeeping/Maintenance:..Persistent knocking at 8:45 am and due to maintenance work going on outside our window on a Sat. morning we came home a day early-

Food Service: We were advised no cook to order eggs at the Artist's Palatte..Short lines though

Checkout: Quick,.. Called the front desk & was advised that the statement would be emailed..8 hours later..still waiting-no empathy...I see a return to the Hilton hotel across the street for our next visit

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank gatormike
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed at Saratoga Springs in early May of 2012. It is a beautiful resort. Clean, well maintained. The bus service was another story. We only took bus for two of our trips. The first trip, we did not have any issues. The second trip, we waited for the bus for an hour and 15 minutes to pick us up from Epcot at around 3 PM. I finally called them and they were not aware of any issues. They put me on hold and after a long hold told me that there were some technical issues and the bus should be there in 3 minutes. Bus came in about 17 mins after that. I understand a technical issue with one bus but there is more than one bus circulating and Disney should have not had its guests stranded like that. The line was huge and I am not sure if everyone could get on the bus once it arrived. We were lucky to be in the middle of the line. I would definitely go again but I won't take bus service again. We just rely on our rental car.

Another thing was lack of cookwear at the resort. The cookwear is nonexistent because the underlying assumption is that everyone will buy Disney dining plan. There were NO cooking pans and NO pots. Com'on! That's just the basics. The staff that arrived to bring the cooking pans had a big attitude. Did not smile or said hello. Just looked at me from top to bottom and handed me the pans.

The couch in a living room was impossible to sleep on. My poor Mom. It was so hard (I heard Saratoga has the hardest couches). I thought the layout was very odd, overall. My husband and my Mom thought the same. Our bathroom had 5 or 6 doors. But all Disney has the same layout, so I guess it is something I just need to get used to.

So, the bottom line: rent a car and be ready to call customer service on arrival to get cookwear if you are not doing Disney dining plan.

2 Thank AnnaWest24
Wheeling, West Virginia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My family and I stayed at Saratoga Springs this May. We had the best experience ever!!! The staff at Seratoga Springs was very nice and knowledgeable about the needed information. We stayed at one bedroom villa with the view of the lake. Everything was very clean and comfortable in our villa. The rooms were spacious and welcoming. I thought the resort was high class as I expected. The pools were very clean and the water in the pool always warm. One of the best resorts I ever stayed!!! I would recommend this resort to anyone visiting Disney!

2 Thank Silvia T
Austintown, Ohio
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We were skeptical about Saratoga Springs since its not known for that Disney vibe you get staying on-site, but we were so pleasantly surprised. The photos you see online do not do it justice, it is a beautiful resort and so peaceful. It is huge with many sections very spread out. We chose "The Springs" right next to the Rock Pool, Carriage House, shop, and restaurants. It was very convenient to walk to the pool and shop, etc with our toddler.
It is very close to Downtown Disney, you can see the Downtown Disney balloon from the resort. You can take the ferry, bus, drive, or walk (though we did not try the walk). We did take the ferry and bus one night, which was obviously much slower than driving, but was a fun break from driving.
We had a studio room which was plenty for 2 adults and a toddler. We had a mini kitchen with fridge, microwave, toaster, and paper plates, towels, etc. The rooms were clean and very well set up for a family. I loved that there were lots of places to hang wet towels and swimsuits. The balcony was spacious with a very nice view. The staff is very friendly and welcomes you "home" upon your return everyday.
The Artist's Palette is quick service and the food was good and affordable. The Turf Club was good food, but a little pricey for what you got. It was sufficient for one convenient "nice" dinner, but it wouldn't be on my must return to list. The gift shop had a nice variety of souvenirs.
The rock pool was beautiful with an adult slide, a child slide, zero entry, and also a Donald Duck water play area for little ones. We had no problems getting a chair or table, it was also very clean and well maintained and there are family activities at the pool all day and evening as well as a bar next to the pool.
We would definitely stay here again, we loved it!

Room Tip: "The Springs" is the section closest to the main areas.
1 Thank mbrain101