“I am being kind with this review!”

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #82 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Oxford, Connecticut
“I am being kind with this review!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

So I was fortunate enough to be gifted a timeshare week to this hotel, however upon check-in I noticed that there is dust all over everything. The light bulbs are covered with dust. The light bulbs are all of a different wattage which does not allow for consistent lighting throughout the entire one-bedroom suite. I found that there were dead bugs on top of the refrigerator, there was a few dead moths in the cabinets, and the sheets were stained, clean, however stained.

I have stayed in MANY hotels throughout the world and never saw this upon checking into a hotel. This hotel is not cheap either. They usually rent out a studio for about $359/night. Who would pay to sleep on stained sheets and next to dead bugs? I already complained to the Manager on duty about the dust, bugs, and light bulbs that keep flickering like strobe lights. I called the front dest and asked for engineering to fix the issue, and the issue is still not fixed. My wife also had an issue with the little kids pool area at the Paddock area. She was with our 2 year old and near the slide there is mesh that is supposed to be tied down to large metal anchors. The mesh was not tied down and my wife stepped on the large metal anchor. Now she is bruised on her foot and we cannot go to the parks today. I am hoping that she feels better tomorrow so we can continue out vacation.

I addressed this with the Manager (whose name I will not post since he was so nice at the time) and not only informed him of the lack of cleanliness, however the issue with the pool. What got me so upset is that the lifeguard at the pool did NOTHING to correct the issue and did NOTHING to make sure that my wife who was LIMPING was okay. The manager on duty told me that what the lifeguard did is not what should have happened and he took some information down. He said he would check with me today to see how everything is, and its not so good. I called to follow up and see if they would prove any compensation, however I have yet to receive a call back. I checked into the room on June 20 and will check out on June 27. Yes, I am in the room right now writing this!

Over all this place is quite enjoyable, however this experience is not topping the list. The place is rather older with a microwave turn table that doesn't work. It has a full kitchen with full kitchen sized appliances. The draw back is that you will not have any maid services unless you pay $45 for a full one bedroom cleaning, $25 for a towel and garbage cleaning, etc... It gets pretty pricey. I recommend this place for those who are traveling with kids, however just be careful and do not be afraid to ask them to clean up the room! Would I return to this place, probably YES, however now with my eyes wide open to this experience we will certainly understand how to navigate our way through a little better!

The boat ride to Downtown Disney is a huge PLUS. They also have busses that will take you to the parks, and a little gift shop next to the eatery. Hope this helps some people! Good luck and have a "magical experience".

Room Tip: When checking in, ask if it is close to a pool...try to stay at a pool with a slide for the kids. T...
7 Thank Howard K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed just one night this time -- it was hard to leave after just one night. We had a nice studio room on the first floor, near one of the smaller pools. Room was a nice size and bed was very comfortable. Check-in was very easy (even though we forgot to do the online check-in) and the staff at the check-in area were very attentive. Magic Bands were also a nice convenience. One of the best hotel gyms I've been to, as well.

Visited the spa on-site for the first time for a pedicure. The whole experience was great. The relaxation room was so nice and had the best muffins and tea.

Room Tip: If you are not big into walking to get to the main hall, ask to have a room in "The Springs&quo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jknox09
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We made our trip reservations back in August 2013 for this June 2014 stay. Apparently, our original property choice had mechanical problems, and when we arrived to WDW we were moved to Saratoga. While I appreciate Disney giving us a substantial upgrade, it was not a terribly smooth transition. Ended up taking 12 hours to get our luggage. After a rain soaked day at the Magic Kingdom, it was not a pleasant surprise to have no clothes to change into for dinner. Concierge cast members at this location ranged from pleasant to a bit on the snobby side. Could it have something to do with us being upgraded???? Aside from these struggles, I will keep the following review to just the merits / drawbacks of Saratoga

I waffled between 3 stars and 4 stars for this property. Wish I could have made it a 3.5 instead. It is nice; I just can't get my head around how expensive it is when I expect not too many people really utilize the full kitchen when they are vacationing.

For being one of the oldest DVC properties, I felt it was in very good shape overall. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was very clean and well stocked. KIng bed, dresser, flat panel tv, armchair, nightstands and ceiling fan in the bedroom.

Living area included a queen sleeper sofa, flat panel tv and armchair. Kitchen has full size range, fridge, dishwasher and microwave, coffee pot and toaster. Fairly well stocked on the dishes and pans, though not overly great. As we didn't have a car, there was no opportunity to buy groceries anyway. Found out later that we could have ordered through a service, but that was not pointed out to us upon check-in. I'm sure Disney prefers that you pay for the room and for dining out as much as possible. There is a breakfast bar with a couple of chairs, as well as a banquette with table. Another ceiling fan as well. Great for extra distribution of cool air throughout the space.

The bathroom area is large, but laid out peculiarly with multiple doors. One area has a vanity, sink and soaking tub. Another area has a sink and the shower, with the toilet behind yet another door. Very annoying that the exhaust fan goes on when you turn on the lights; makes it hard to be quiet if anyone is sleeping. All granite-like counter surfaces.

Closet space is the most lacking aspect of this unit. One very small rack off the bathroom in an area with the electrical breaker box.

Nice balcony, though after a day at the parks, not many people seen sitting out in more heat.

Housekeeping was efficient. Did our dishes as well. A bit annoying that they only made up the sleeper sofa like it was another bed and left it open. I would have preferred they close it up when they clean so we would have more space to walk around when we were in the room.

Property has multiple pools all with slides, hot tubs, bars and refillable mug stations. Very clean and not too crowded, though it is a bit noisy during the 3pm games time.

Not a whole lot of food options at this location. They do have a food court, but not nearly the options that Art of Animation has. Also a sit down restaurant, but we did not dine there. Decor is nice in the area though - it's called the Artist's Pallette, so nice colors and very airy.

Activity options on property are plentiful. Pro shop right there for the golf course, bike rentals, ping pong, billiards, bags and a nice indoor community center with video games, movies playing, arts and crafts.

Saratoga is very close to downtown Disney, with both bus and boat launch. Someone said you can walk as well, but I am not sure.

For the amount of people staying here, it was very quiet. Didn't hear any noise between the units.

My only real issue with this property is the amount of walking required. There are several buildings, and they are very spread out. We stayed in the 7200 series rooms near the Carousel stop. Definitely a ten minute walk back to the food court and main pool. There are multiple bus stops, so not a lot of walking there, but it takes forever to get to a park when each bus makes four stops.

I know that the theme here is supposed to be upstate New York horse racing. Just didn't really have that Disney feel to it. I didn't really see a consistent theme throughout. Horse pillows in the room, but the dining area is Artists?

Did we have a good time? yes. Would I stay here again for over $500 a night? no.

Room Tip: Stay close to the main building or you will be walking quite a bit
5 Thank BolingbrookKaren
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was our 3rd stay, at Saratoga Springs, and it has definitely gone downhill. We used magical express for our luggage, and it took 5 1/2 hours to make it to our room (they say to allow 3 hours) Our room was beat up and dirty. The dishwasher rusted, fridge had several dents in it, the shower had a lot of mold in it. Housekeeping was good the first day, and that was it. They did not come on the 2nd day, despite a call at 2 pm to make sure they were still coming, and the next few days they did a crappy job. My kids were in the game room twice in one day (hours apart) and the same wet towels, candy wrappers, and trash were there both times.

Room Tip: We like staying in the Grand Stand section, for an easy walk to the main building, pool area, and do...
3 Thank Joni P
New Jersey
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed at Animal Kingdom in February and were very disappointed so weren't quite sure how this stay would go. We were very pleasantly surprised. First of all, our 2-bedroom suite was ready for early check-in shortly before noon. Every employee we encountered was very pleasant, helpful and friendly. Unfortunately they had an "incident" which closed the one pool closest to our room but it wasn't a long walk to another pool. The restaurant near the Paddock pool is better than the one near the Springs pool though. Fun stay with plenty to do with excellent transportation options to the parks and Downtown Disney.

4 Thank Janneykins
philadelphia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here from June 12th thru 16th, 2014. No problems at check in, usual Disney warm welcome. Had a rental car, so we drove to our room located near the Paddock, plenty of parking right at our building. Upon getting to our room, which was a studio, was surprised with the amount of room. Nice sliding glass door out to our patio, unfortunately for some reason there is a huge bush(tree) directly in front of the patio which blocked the view of the lake, bummer.

The bedding in the room is a queen bed and a sleeper sofa. The sleeper sofa needs more padding, it was ok for the short period of time, but I think a week on this would not be okay. Liked having the microwave and sink....and extra room outside the bathroom to get ready.

Air conditioning was awesome, my family asked me to turn the temp up because it was too cold..never had that happen before.

The grounds here are beautiful. The lake in front of our room was frequented by a duck and 6 of her babies everyday. There was also a river otter that we saw each day, which was a neat site.

The pool was nice at the Paddock and had a water slide. I think they need to filter the pool water better as the water became warm in the Florida sun and a little murky looking. When I go in a pool, I like to cool down not feel the same.

The property is right next door to Downtown Disney which is great and the bus system is one of the best I have had in Disney in my 20 plus trips.

Very good experience.

Room Tip: If you have children, try and get a room near the Paddock or the main building. You want the two poo...
7 Thank crusher21
Dublin, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We just returned from a 10 day stay in the Congress Park section. An easy 7-8 minute walk to Downtown Disney and the pool was right outside our studio patio on the first floor. Very quiet and a one minute walk to the bus. We only had trouble catching a bus once - before the Animal Kingdom opened and we ended up taking a taxi for breakfast at Boma at AKL. Other bus trips went just fine! A great view of the new construction at DTD and the lights at night with the shuttle boats traveling by. A little hassle with the construction and boats and busses at DTD right now so walking is a lot faster! They ARE building a new pedestrian bridge from SS to DTD which will cut even more walking time. The cast members were fun and helpful, the pool was beautifully clean, and the food was delicious. I saw a lifeguard jump in the pool after a little girl who went down the slide by herself and was struggling without a parent to be found - very professional and attentive staff! A bit conservative for me (taste-wise), as I love a tropical atmosphere, but beautiful nonetheless. A far walk for a drink with the refillable mugs though. Better to pack your own! My daughter (13) wants to go again and have an entire day just to enjoy all the amenities for kids! Saw a bit of the movie outside by the pool and the slide is a lot of fun by the main building! Wish the rain wouldn't have been so continuous - we would have really enjoyed walking around more!

Room Tip: Studio room facing DTD/the water was wonderful - with a quick walk to DTD from Congress Park!
7 Thank ElizabethM670