“My return to the Saratoga Springs”

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #78 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 10 February 2009

This was my third year staying at the Saratoga Springs. We are not part of the DVC, but continue to stay here - because why mess with a good thing!

This year we stayed in a 1BR unit and my inlaws stayed in the studio. Well, they were adjoining rooms so with the door open it was the EXACT same room as a 2BR unit. So booking a 2BR unit would have been much cheaper in the end (and it also defeated our purpose of having separate rooms, but I digress....).

This is the first year that I found the carpets to be a little worn, but everything else was great. The room was spotless, linens were fresh and clean and all the dishes/flatware were clean. Housekeeping ran the dishwasher for us each day and always brought new toiletries and detergent, even if we had not used them up. The grounds, like all of Disney, are very well maintained and spotless.

I really wish they had a central room to get on a computer and check email. I would think that would be a no braine for a vacation club resort. You can have internet in your room if you bring your laptop and pay the daily fee for the cord (no wireless), but no common computer area.

No words can describe the convenience of having a washer/dryer in the room, especially now that the airlines are starting to charge for luggage checks. I packed for myself and two childern in one suitcase and simply threw in a load of laundry every night.

The week we were there were the coldest days in the history of Orlando. Just my luck! So we never got to use the pool. But I assume it was heated because some crazy families were still in the water. Our room in the Springs building was conveniently located to the pool, main building and restaurants. The Grandstand building also has its own, less crowded pool which is lovely in warmer weather. Springs is the building to request if you dont want to walk much around this VERY large property. Grandstand is good too because there is a path that cuts across to the main area. The other buildings are a longer walk, but also quieter.

The Disney bus system is often scrutinized in reviews, no matter what hotel it is. It's not a personal limo service, people! The bottom line is that they come APPROX ever 20 mins. It could be a little more at certain times. If you just missed one by minutes, then you will obviously wait a longer time. There were times we waited 3 minutes and times we waited 20 mins. It is what it is. The buses are clean, direct and they save you money on car rental/parking and time. Even if you have a car, I recommend using the bus for the Magic Kingdom because it takes you directly to the main gate (as opposed to parking, taking the parking lot tram, going through gate 1, taking the monorail and then finally getting to the main gate) which is SO much easier. There are 5 bus stops within the SS so those stops adds a few minutes to the ride. The buses stop at them in the same order, so if you have 2 stops going toward the park, you'll always have 3 coming back in.

The water taxi and walking path to downtown Disney are great. the water taxi lets you off on the marketplace end of downtown disney and the path take you to the west side of downtown disney. So if you are going to a specific restaurant, keep that in mind.

General Disney tip - try to make as many of your meal reservations in advance if you can. 407-WDW-DINE does the restaurants in the parks as well as others on Disney property, including the Turf Cub at Saratoga Springs and the Downtown Disney locations. Going "standby" at restaurants will make things much longer and frustrating.

The Artist's Palette is okay. Service was slow during busy times but the food and the variety are both pretty good. They sell some essential groceries at the expected Disney markup prices. If you have a car, there is a Winn Dixie about 5 mins away. Turf Club was very good and I recommend taking advantage of it, especially after a busy day at a park when you don't want to be out walking and dealing with lines anymore.

If you have a baby, the rooms come with a high chair and pack and play so you don'tneed to request them.

Next year I am thinkng of trying the Old Key West, just to mix it up a little. But I am nervous to make that move because SS has always been so great for us. Having a separate bedroom for the kids makes a world of difference at night.

When doing your research here, you need to remember to compare SS against other Disney resorts, NOT against a typical 5 star resort. I really feel that some reviewers here were expecting the Ritz Carton based on the price of this resort and are then let down. This is a pricier Disney location because it is better than OTHER DISNEY resorts. Try to keep the perspective.

I hope you enjoy the SS as much as we have for 3 visits!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
16  Thank sethandliz

Reviewed 5 February 2009

We are disney vacation club members and received a free trip here as an incentive. It was a beautiful hotel and very quiet and serene with low theming compared to some of the other disney hotels. Our 2 bedroom villa was roomy with a great view of the lakes. We asked to be in the "Springs" section as they have many sections. We were right next to the main pool and restaurant.

Artist Pallette, the eatery, was so great. The food was good and they had a large variety of things.

The pool was really great for the kids, we could rent water toys and a safety vest for our little one and the slide was fun for our 6 year old. The bar stayed open even though it was January.

The walk to downtown disney was a lot shorter than people kept telling me it would be. We ended up taking a car most of the time though since we had 2 kids and a giant stroller.

It was a great place for adults at disney since it was really very quiet.

One downside - the pull out sofabed was not very impressive and the washer and dryer were pretty loud when you had them on.

Reviewed 31 January 2009

Heres the plus side...Very nice resort. Friendy staff. Nice rooms, good size. Close to downtown disney! But... If you want to go to a park, it is very inconvient. There are no other ways except for buses. The bus ride waits are long. I hear they have a wonderful spa but didn't stay long enough to find out. Only stayed a couple of nights before our cruise. I think it is a great resort for someone not planning on going to the parks much. For some relaxation and some fun in downtown, its perfect. Will stay there again if I go before another cruise.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 30 January 2009

We are DVC members, and this was our first vacation on our membership & first stay at Saratoga Springs. The bottom line is this resort is absolutely beautiful, and I could stay here a week or longer without even leaving the property and still thoroughly enjoy my vacation.

We had 3 adults and 2 kids in a 2-bdrm villa, and it was amazing. It felt like we had 3 hotel rooms into 1: the master suite was spacious, and the living room & kitchen we comfortable and fully functional (including full size fridge, oven, cook top, dishwasher, toaster, coffee maker, full size sink, microwave, stocked with dishes, and it even had washer/dryer stack). Our guest had her own bedroom with tv + full bath and 2 full size beds. Living room had a pull-out sofa, so in total this villa was able to sleep 5 adults very comfortably.

The resort itself has everything you expect from a top quality vacation spot, including multiple dining choices, spa, golf, bike riding, etc. I particularly liked the close proximity to Downtown Disney, which is why we picked Saratoga over some other options, and the Disney bus service was also very convenient.

I'm just not sure what could be better about our stay here. If there was one thing I was slightly disappointed about, it was the lack of wireless internet (probably because this place is just so huge), but that was easily remedied by picking up a wireless router from a nearby store and hooking that up to the broadband connection in the master. I think anyone who stays here will be totally satisfied like I was.

1  Thank jmrjunior
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Saratoga Springs was great! We are new DVC members and this was our first stay. The rooms were clean, my son loved the main pool, the lakes were beautiful, our room had a great view, convienient to downtown disney, good food at the food court, fun activities for the kids, kitchenette was great to have, I could go on and on. We didn't go to the parks, and the resort was fairly quiet during the day, which was great.

Reviewed 27 January 2009

Saratoga Springs Resort is our home resort in the Disney Vacation Club. The resort is large with beautiful grounds. They have a great pool with slides for the kids and multiple small pools that are quiet for the adult. The rooms are always very clean and have a fresh updated look. I have stayed at many hotels and villas in the Orlando area and this has been the best.

Reviewed 26 January 2009

Reserved a villa, it was dirty, I wouldn't have the furniture in my basement. Service was terrible, we were never contacted that our room was ready, a maid had to tell us. We rented an ECV and when we questioned bell service to see if it was delivered was told no and to call back in an hour. Upon calling the ECV rental, found out it was delivered the day before. Talking to someone else at Bell Services found out it had been delivered the day before and was sitting there waiting to be picked up. The window in one of the bedrooms leaked water when it rained, and the carpeting was so dirty it turned our socks black. When we looked at the model of the place at Disney Vacation Club, all the tv's were flat screen. Not so in the villa. Cobwebs hung from the chandelier. Contacted the Disney Vacation Club--sorry, told us to contact the hotel manager. Spoke with her, she was terrific. We had about 6 Disney people inspecting our room. The carpeting was cleaned over the traffic areas and the things we complained about were fixed. Too little too late. We were also given some Disney points back. AND TO TOP IT OFF, our luggage never got to the airport. Now I could chalk it up to an accident, but there were 4 other couples in the Northwest Baggage office----all from Disney!!!!! Never again will we go to Saratoga Springs. I am very disappointed.

4  Thank punch-7