“Fabulous”

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #79 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 27 February 2009

This was our first experience as DVC Members and we spent ten days at SSR including New Years Eve and it was absolutely fabulous. We are actually going back in March. The grounds are beautiful, the buses run constantly, never waiting long, getting to the buses from the parks is easy as SSR is one of the first few bus stops not a long walk. The rooms are wonderful and the staff is of course Disney's best.

Food was great at the restaurants and the spa and gym are wonderful. We loved the hot tubs and the main pool. The concierge staff is excellent and always wiling to help with the littlest details like horseback riding. Everything about this resort is wonderful and I am not easy to impress. We use to stay at the All Star Resorts what a difference. Luggage arrived immediately not a five hour wait, room was ready right away and immaculate.

I cannot recommend this enough we are totally looking forward to going back in March and staying at SSR. We love taking the boat to Downtown Disney its awesome. We played tennis, basketball, the pool has great activities and we rented bikes and checked out the resort.

Being a DVC Member is absolutely wonderful and we love it.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank cyndixo

Reviewed 23 February 2009

We have just spent 10 days at Saratoga Springs and we were very impressed.
I booked direct with Disney which also included the magical express transfer.

It started badly when we had to made up the sofa bed (they knew there were four of us) and the the luggage had an unknown arrival time due to the magical express (not an issue if you hadn't been traveling on and of for 23 hours and needed to sleep) but they recovered well.

Great location very close to Downtown Disney (which is why I chose it) boat or a 10 minute walk.

One main pool full of little excited children but other pools dotted about so you can swim. We were in the Paddocks right near the pool and bus stop so that was really easy.

Several bus stops so rarely huge amounts of people getting on and they try to get two buses round if it looks as if they need them.

Actually after the holiday weekend it stayed busy and there was a bad day for buses on the Tuesday, my husband and son wanted to come back from Disney's Hollywood and were transported by one of the Disney Execs helping out and he said the buses were an issue and they were working on it next day it was all sorted.

The maids were great we left in chaos most mornings at 7.15am and when we got back all was tidy.

I found the front desk and concierge very good and we could even get checked in etc through to the UK as we flew with North West. If they said they would do something they did it and on time.

We rarely ate at the hotel but the night we did the food and service was very good but we had to wait an age as it was too cold to sit outside and that was half the table space.

The Artists Palette provided basics for breakfast but I agree they could do more with this as there are people who spend time at the property not all day in the parks as we did.

Saratoga is also close to Epcot its the quickest journey on the bus and the most timely.

Nice property lots of space lakes and relaxing, we had previously stayed at the Polynesian and we all liked this better.

4  Thank linkeo
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this resort but it turned out to be a very nice resort. The resort had alot of amenities for adults and children. The staff was always willing to try and accomodate any request that you had. The grounds of the resort was very beautiful and relaxing...much better than I had expected. This resort is directly across the water from Downtown Disney so the rooms that face that area, really have a beautiful view at night. There are so many pretty areas to this resort, you have ponds with water fountains and then there were areas that surround the golf course. I traveled with my parents and my 6 year old son. We rented a 2 bedroom villa that faced a nice courtyard that overlooked one of the ponds...very relaxing. This resort really worked well for my parents since they choose not to go to the parks every day. My son even talked Grandpa into riding bikes around the resort one day and they both came back and said how pretty it was. We were there during a busy time but you never felt crowded. I'm sure the weather played into that alittle bit. We had weather that ranged from mid 70s to high 60s, so the pool area wasn't that crowded. We did use the main pool 2 of the days and it really is a nice pool. My son said it was one of his favorite slides. We have stayed at Animal Kingdom as well as Port Orleans Riverside and visited Port Orleans French Quarter as well as Caribbean Beach for swimming. The resort really is nice with kids...tons of things going on all day with the staff and they also have movies at night for the kids by the pool. This resort also has a kids club if you would like to have some adult time...I did not utilize this but in talking with some of the guests...it was rated highly, they said the staff was great with the kids and had alot of things for them to do. Overall, I would not hesitate to come back to this resort. I'm glad I had the opportunity to stay here because it changed my opinion of this resort. I forgot to mention this earlier, but I rented points from a vacation club member from www.disboards.com and it really saved alot of money. I will be traveling this way from now on. :)

2  Thank MIDisneyPrincess
Reviewed 17 February 2009

5 of us stayed for 4 nights in a 2-bedroom. The unit was huge, nicely decorated, with washer/dryer and a great view over the lake. We loved having a full kitchen where we could have cereal or even eggs and bacon for breakfast before heading out for the parks. The pool with the slides looked great, but it was chilly the week we were there. The bus stop for the parks was right outside of our building, and we could even walk to Downtown Disney. Beautiful property, Disney quality, looking forward to another visit!

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Not being a DVC member or someone obsessed with Walt Disney World (yet) we truly did enjoy our stay at Saratoga. I would agree with most of the reviews; overall the hotel was very nice, the rooms being the main reason we chose this hotel. We (family of four) stayed in a One Bedroom Villa that connected to a Studio for my Mom and Sister. Although we would have done a two bedroom villa, there were none available for our time constraints, this actually ended up working out perfectly for our stay.

The set up of the hotel is very nice for the central area, I can understand those complaints of people that stayed in other sections as the property itself is very large and you can be quite far away from the main area. We were booked in the Paddock area, and though a bit aways from the main area we did not find this too inconvenient and the walk was not all that terrible to the main pool.

Given that we were staying on property and did not rent a car we used the transportation (disney buses) the entire stay. Truly we did not find this too inconvenient and the most we waited was about 10 minutes. Again I can understand peoples complaints about the buses, however given the scope and size of Disney World I think they are doing a pretty good job at moving people from hotels to parks. The only downside I can see is that if you would want to eat at a different hotel restaurant you will have to get off one bus and on another which is a bit of a hassle with two young ones but we still did not find it that difficult.

I will agree with most reviews of the restaurants at Saratoga; Artist's Pallette was confusing at first and overall just okay. The turf club was fine, we found the selection a bit lacking and if we were not on the dining plan (highly recommended) this would have been a very pricey sub-standard meal. This to me the one major downside of this property is that the restaurants are not any where close to others at the Disney Property that we visited.

Overall we really did enjoy our stay at Saratoga and everything it had to offer. If you are looking for a Disney Property that let's you get away from the parks and has a bit more space for the money than I would truly consider this resort.

• Stayed: February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 February 2009

This was my third year staying at the Saratoga Springs. We are not part of the DVC, but continue to stay here - because why mess with a good thing!

This year we stayed in a 1BR unit and my inlaws stayed in the studio. Well, they were adjoining rooms so with the door open it was the EXACT same room as a 2BR unit. So booking a 2BR unit would have been much cheaper in the end (and it also defeated our purpose of having separate rooms, but I digress....).

This is the first year that I found the carpets to be a little worn, but everything else was great. The room was spotless, linens were fresh and clean and all the dishes/flatware were clean. Housekeeping ran the dishwasher for us each day and always brought new toiletries and detergent, even if we had not used them up. The grounds, like all of Disney, are very well maintained and spotless.

I really wish they had a central room to get on a computer and check email. I would think that would be a no braine for a vacation club resort. You can have internet in your room if you bring your laptop and pay the daily fee for the cord (no wireless), but no common computer area.

No words can describe the convenience of having a washer/dryer in the room, especially now that the airlines are starting to charge for luggage checks. I packed for myself and two childern in one suitcase and simply threw in a load of laundry every night.

The week we were there were the coldest days in the history of Orlando. Just my luck! So we never got to use the pool. But I assume it was heated because some crazy families were still in the water. Our room in the Springs building was conveniently located to the pool, main building and restaurants. The Grandstand building also has its own, less crowded pool which is lovely in warmer weather. Springs is the building to request if you dont want to walk much around this VERY large property. Grandstand is good too because there is a path that cuts across to the main area. The other buildings are a longer walk, but also quieter.

The Disney bus system is often scrutinized in reviews, no matter what hotel it is. It's not a personal limo service, people! The bottom line is that they come APPROX ever 20 mins. It could be a little more at certain times. If you just missed one by minutes, then you will obviously wait a longer time. There were times we waited 3 minutes and times we waited 20 mins. It is what it is. The buses are clean, direct and they save you money on car rental/parking and time. Even if you have a car, I recommend using the bus for the Magic Kingdom because it takes you directly to the main gate (as opposed to parking, taking the parking lot tram, going through gate 1, taking the monorail and then finally getting to the main gate) which is SO much easier. There are 5 bus stops within the SS so those stops adds a few minutes to the ride. The buses stop at them in the same order, so if you have 2 stops going toward the park, you'll always have 3 coming back in.

The water taxi and walking path to downtown Disney are great. the water taxi lets you off on the marketplace end of downtown disney and the path take you to the west side of downtown disney. So if you are going to a specific restaurant, keep that in mind.

General Disney tip - try to make as many of your meal reservations in advance if you can. 407-WDW-DINE does the restaurants in the parks as well as others on Disney property, including the Turf Cub at Saratoga Springs and the Downtown Disney locations. Going "standby" at restaurants will make things much longer and frustrating.

The Artist's Palette is okay. Service was slow during busy times but the food and the variety are both pretty good. They sell some essential groceries at the expected Disney markup prices. If you have a car, there is a Winn Dixie about 5 mins away. Turf Club was very good and I recommend taking advantage of it, especially after a busy day at a park when you don't want to be out walking and dealing with lines anymore.

If you have a baby, the rooms come with a high chair and pack and play so you don'tneed to request them.

Next year I am thinkng of trying the Old Key West, just to mix it up a little. But I am nervous to make that move because SS has always been so great for us. Having a separate bedroom for the kids makes a world of difference at night.

When doing your research here, you need to remember to compare SS against other Disney resorts, NOT against a typical 5 star resort. I really feel that some reviewers here were expecting the Ritz Carton based on the price of this resort and are then let down. This is a pricier Disney location because it is better than OTHER DISNEY resorts. Try to keep the perspective.

I hope you enjoy the SS as much as we have for 3 visits!

16  Thank sethandliz
Reviewed 5 February 2009

We are disney vacation club members and received a free trip here as an incentive. It was a beautiful hotel and very quiet and serene with low theming compared to some of the other disney hotels. Our 2 bedroom villa was roomy with a great view of the lakes. We asked to be in the "Springs" section as they have many sections. We were right next to the main pool and restaurant.

Artist Pallette, the eatery, was so great. The food was good and they had a large variety of things.

The pool was really great for the kids, we could rent water toys and a safety vest for our little one and the slide was fun for our 6 year old. The bar stayed open even though it was January.

The walk to downtown disney was a lot shorter than people kept telling me it would be. We ended up taking a car most of the time though since we had 2 kids and a giant stroller.

It was a great place for adults at disney since it was really very quiet.

One downside - the pull out sofabed was not very impressive and the washer and dryer were pretty loud when you had them on.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)