“Good Value Close to Universal”

Hyatt Place Orlando Universal
Ranked #92 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Universal for 5 nights in May. The hotel is located very close to Universal and offers a free shuttle service. We had the most enthusiastic shuttle driver I have ever seen, Nash. He had us entertained with jokes, singing and dancing. The room was comfortable and clean, the beds were very comfortable. The room set up was very good with refrigerator and sink and a partially seperated lounge area. The bathroom was a little on the small side but still not a big deal. A free breakfast is provided in the morning which was good, however a bit crowded during our stay. The pool area is on the small side however most people are at a theme park so it was never busy or crowded. Parking was available onsite for free. I felt that we needed a car while we stayed there as there was not a huge choice for dining in the immediate area. If I was travelling to Orlando to visit Universal again, I would definitely choose the Hyatt Universal based on value, location and comfort.

1  Thank Alanac269
Hyatt01, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Orlando Universal, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay! I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with us and that you will return in the future! Thank you!

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Orlando Universal

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel was terrific for the price...free breakfast (not just coffee and danish, but eggs, cereal, oatmeal, etc.), free parking, free wi-fi, less than 4 miles from Disney parks and attractions...numerous high quality and moderately priced, casual restaurants in walking and driving distance. The room was clean, had a sectional sofa, mini-fridge and king-sized bed. Very good service from the front desk! Wer will definitely stay here on our next visit to Orlando.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I'm delighted to hear you had a fantastic stay and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for 4 nights at the Hyatt in May 2014.. Very good hotel, close to Universal and restaurants. My daughter was very sick one night and the hotel was very accomodating with breverage and food from the breakfast area even after hours.. Breakfast was good, rooms were clean and like the area with the couch so you didn"t feel to crowded especially that we were 4 in the room.. only thing I didnt like was the small bathroom.. I would definately stay there again !

1  Thank Dunkaroo
Hyatt01, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Orlando Universal, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter was sick on her vacation. I hope that she is feeling better now! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

No complaints -- good value and an easy walk to Universal Studios. The room was comfortable and well maintained, with a refrigerator and coffee maker. Breakfast and parking were included in the price.

My only complaint was the internet connection, which was erratic and slow.

2  Thank MarylandIrene

Thank you for staying with us! I am glad to hear your enjoyed our comfortable guest rooms and our complimentary breakfast and parking! Your feedback is important to us and we are looking into the issue you had with our complimentary Wi-fi, thank you for bringing it to our attention. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Universal from Tuesday 6th - Tuesday 20th May 2014 and had a truly wonderful stay.

Landing at MCO, the hotel is easy to get to in 15 - 20 minutes and is well situated for all major attractions and business venues.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly - from the kitchen staff to the assistant general manager. Unfortunately I didn't get the names of everyone whom we would like to thank, but of those we did get we would like to thank Jenny, Valerie, Robert, Farah, Errol and Christina (I would be grateful if management would thank the lovely little Spanish lady who took the dishes away from the restaurant area and the cleaner on the seventh floor - both of whom did a great job and, just as importantly, were lovely to talk to).

We were over in Florida to get married at Siesta Key beach and it was lovely that some of the staff showed such an interest. On our wedding day, we even returned to find a card, cakes and a bottle of wine in our room. Service is very important to me and, based on this alone, staying at this hotel again is a very strong possibility.

The rooms were very comfortable and had a homely feeling. We were in a double room to begin with and I would have to agree, with other reviews, that the bathroom is small and there is just enough clearance between the door and the toilet. However, the bedroom itself was spacious with a nice seating area to unwind - this was a nice change to those hotels where the only place to sit on is a bed or at a workdesk. We were moved to a king bedded room/handicapped room which had a much larger bathroom on our third day, and this was handled very efficiently. When I realised there was no safe in the room, the ever pleasant Errol promptly brought one over to us. The hotel gives the impression that reported problems are going to be dealt with right away.

There is a simple, yet good, complimentary breakfast in the morning. It is understandable that some reviewers have found it limited on choice but, even though nothing is free these days, as an experienced traveller to the area, I am yet to come across a better priced hotel in this class that offers breakfast, wifi, parking, printing and a safe at no extra cost. I booked direct by telephoning the hotel and was particularly impressed that there were no hidden charges or extra taxes to pay - I paid the price I was told over the phone and not a dollar more on checking out. Most hotels in the area charge an extra service fee per night, which many foreign visitors are not made aware of and can often lead to having to pay an extra $200 dollars or so at the end of a two week stay. Thank you Hyatt for operating in this way so that I did not have to worry about potential costs at the end of the holiday (apart from extra services like phone calls and room service of course).

There is a small gym with several pieces of cardio equipment and a selection of light weights. The pool area is nice with towels provided, but was too cold for us to use.

Apart from the small bathroom in the double rooms and the slow and dated lifts, there are no significant negatives that I can point out with this hotel.

So I will conclude by saying that this hotel made us feel relaxed, like we were at home for two weeks...I don't think I can pay a better compliment than that.

Thank you everyone at Hyatt Universal and we hope to see you again!

x Paul and Sarah x

3  Thank babyreddevils

Hi Paul and Sarah,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us all about your stay. It sounds like you had a fantastic stay with us and I am very pleased to hear that! I am glad you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and our Gallery Host's great guest service! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back on your next vacation to Orlando. Congratulations on your new marriage, we wish you both the best!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed there in May for less than a week and the proximity to Universal is great. Jordan (Front Desk) was spectacular, pleasant and informative at check-in and contacting us when room was ready.

Breakfast was mediocre at best. First day: Everything was warm and plentiful. Second and Third day: Eggs ran out and I had to let desk know to have it replenished. Pancakes were overheated and as crispy as cookies and cold. Skillet eggs (Muffin on bottom) were cold when replenished.

The bathroom door (Room) literally opens within an inch of the toilet and is not ample enough on space; stumped toes on two occasions.

Coin Laundry would be beneficial as an option other than dry cleaning.

The guestroom was very clean and the bed and big screen TV were great. Cookie and lemonade in the lobby was fantastic but the cookie jar was empty and left out for several hours after we served ourselves. Minor details but a very nice staff at this property.

2  Thank Billyboy2391

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay! I am so glad to hear that our staff supplied excellent service and that you enjoyed our clean guest rooms. We hope that you do chose to stay with us again and if you are in need of coin laundry please inquire about this at our Gallery desk. Thank you!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The staff was excellent at this hotel. The 7th floor handicap room did not have Internet service for some reason. I relocated to the 4th floor. Not he front desk staff person met me at the 4th floor room to make sure the Internet worked. I was there on business and had to work. Excellent customer service. You can tell the hotel once was something else. The popcorn ceilings and the walls. You really noticed when you got in the elevator and the frame inside next to the buttons look like it was going to fall off. Some of the Hyatt Place hotel esthetics were not not and clean. Old dirty wall sockets remain etc.

Additionally, I wanted a king bed so the only thing available was the handicap room. Or I think the website said handicap shower or something. We, not sure about the code standards for a handicap bathroom but, if u had a wheel chair you may be able to roll it in but u will be stuck they way you rolled it in. A wheel chair could not turn or do anything. As a matter of fact if I wanted to close the bathroom door I had to stand in the shower or on either side of the toilet to close the door.

Maid service was a lot to be desired. For 3 days there was a used wash cloth behind the bathroom door. They did not empty my ice bucket or clean glasses. They also did not fold the blanket that I used on the small sofa. But that was all on the first night. The other two nights it was done.

I will return to the hotel if I am working in the area. Close to everything

Oh the elevator still had the Ameri Suites inspection paper posted, not Hyatt Place. It was current.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Darren W
Hyatt01, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Orlando Universal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Hi Darren,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your stay. I'm glad to hear that the customer service provided to you was excellent! I retrieved your reservation and you did stay in one of our standard KING rooms, not in an ADA accessible room. We hope to see you back for a future stay. Next time you stay with us please let us know if any housekeeping service is not complete in your room if there is anything you need while you are here. It is important to us that our guests have a fantastic experience with us and have everything they need. Thank you!