“Kids should love the water park”

Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Ranked #214 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I traveled with my husband and 3 kids (aged 4 to 14) for the purpose of visiting Universal Studios Orlando. I didn't realize this hotel had a huge, impressive water park! Many slides, water cannons, inner tubes, a big bucket of water up top that fills up and tips over to splash everyone below... it was a great surprise. There is a kiddie pool with slides, water guns and shallow water for the little ones. There are life-vests for bigger and smaller kids provided by the hotel.

There were plenty of tables and beach chairs, but they did fill up fast. There is a bar right by the pool and a fast-food restaurant and a full-service restaurant. We only ate at the fast food, which served pizza, chicken wings and breadsticks. It also sold bottled juices and bags of chips. Adjacent to it was an arcade.

For those who don't want the huge water park (it could get loud) the hotel also has another pool, outdoors. I did not visit this one but it looked fine and the people there seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The hotel offered a free shuttle to Universal. The driver was prompt and courteous.

The hotel room itself was smaller than I expected, but it wasn't an important issue for me. No fridge, microwave or safe, FYI (I was told there was no microwave oven in the entire bullding, which was a little disappointing for me) The beds and pillows were comfy. My kids got a kick out of the huge beach-ball shaped pillows.

The hotel is made up of several (maybe nine?) bulidings. There are couches, tables and chairs throughout the main level. I found this useful when I bought food from outside, but didn't want to eat it in my room. In the hotel lobby, there is a room with toddler-sized chairs and bean bags. It had a flat-screen TV mounted and Nick Jr was always on. This was a GREAT way to keep my 4 yr old quiet for a few minutes.

There is a little convenience store in the hotel itself. I didn't spend much time there,but I noticed they sold Disney stuffed toys, ice-cream and beer. I'm sure they sold other useful items too, but I just didn't take note.

I did notice a small party room, with party favors and plasticware on tables. I suppose you could book a small birthday party.

Since the purpose of our trip was to visit Universal, we didn't spend as much time in the water park as we would have liked.

They also have a laundry room with several washers and dryers.

4  Thank KathyOHUS
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2016

Hello KathyStrongsville,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful time. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews were shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver. We appreciate your continued business and if I can be of any assistance on your next reservations do not hesitate to email me directly.

Andy.Holt@cocokeyorlando.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,888)

Reviewed 29 April 2011

We stayed at Coco Key for 15 nights and we had an amazing time! Our room was located in the 'tower' and was very big, clean and with comfortable beds. The housecleaning did a fantastic job. The breakfast was good and Rocio and Lesmore from the restaurant were ever so helpfull. They even went after bagels for me when there weren't any left. the waterpark wast just amazing for our kids... we only went during the week as it did get a little crowded during the weekend. But there were enough liveguards , so I felt very comfortable with my kids hanging out there. The location was very good aswell. So...overall we had a great stay and would recomend this to everybody! :-)

Room Tip: Request for a room in 'the tower'!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2016

Hello Kim1712,

Reviewed 27 April 2011

Our stay was very pleasant. The manager was VERY helpful. We had our semi truck/trailer 52' which was really tight to get in, but he walked us through the parking lot. The staff was very helpful with directions & suggestions on attractions. We went to Disneyworld which took awile on the trolly & then the city bus but this was affordable for us. My kids both (8 & 3) loved the waterpark & arcade room at the hotel, however in February the water was a little cold outside. The hotel pool aside from the waterpark was VERY warm & enjoyable! Lots of restaurants nearby easily accessed on the Trolly which I felt was safe to ride. We went to Joe's crab shack & the kids LOVED it! They dance & yell, very entertaining.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle1996

Hello Michelle1996,

Reviewed 23 April 2011

Coco Key wasn't exactly what we thought. It's a "get what you pay for" kind of place. The water park area was dirty, there was food on the ground. It is just not near as clean and nice as Great Wolf Lodge. The transportation to Universal is kind of a joke. They only go at certain times and there are so many people wanting to use the service you may wait for over an hour to go. It's not in the nicest area either. The rooms are outside entry too.

2  Thank laurhite
CoCoKeyOrl, Front Office Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2016

Hello laurhite,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. We strive to provide you with excellent service from check in through check out and I am disappointed we were not able to meet that goal. As of November 18, 2015 we changed ownership and while all reviews are shared immediately with Team Members, I wanted to make it a point to reach out to you directly as we raise the bar for the service we deliver.

I would like to discuss this in more detail so we can take immediate action to correct the areas you mentioned. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can restore your confidence in us and provide you with a quick resolution.

321-206-4392

Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed at CoCo Keys for 4 nights. I can tell you, me and my two children 8 and 12 had a great time. The waterpark (in and outdoor) is a nice size. I like the fact the indoor waterpark had a pool with a slide. So if you didn't want to be in the hot sun, you had an options. The waterpark closes at 7pm daily, you do have to pay a $19.00 per day resort fee, but that covers your entire family. I chose this resort for the days we didn't go to the Universal parks, we could just stay at our hotel and hang out at the waterpark. The food at Tradewinds is a bit pricey, but with the location of the resort. You have many of other food options on International drive. It's a CiCi's pizza right across the street, $5.99 all you can eat buffet, you can't beat that deal, and the food is good. The Dunkin Donuts is right next door, the best donuts and coffee to get your morning started. If you don't have a rental car, you have a choice of the shuttle which takes you to Universal or Sea World. If you are using the shuttle make sure you get boarding passes, the day before you plan on visiting the park. Or you can ride the Lynx bus, which takes you right to Universal. Universal Studios is less than 10 minutes away. The rooms look just like they do on the website. The only downside to this resort is the lack of a fridge, and microwave. I notice some families bought coolers to at least keep cold drinks in their rooms. One more thing, request a room in the towers. We had a room in the tower, and it was very peace ful and quiet at night time. I would highly recommend this resort. My kids want to go back next year, they had so much fun.

3  Thank Tauheedah W

Hello tWashington07,

Reviewed 21 April 2011

Coco Key water resort part is really nice. Parents of schoolage children can relax or join them on the slides. Park closes at 7pm. There is another pool you can use that has a spa area and cabanas. The hotel itself looks like it was an old motel redone. Our room was a good size and beds were comfy. It had central air conditioning but the fan was really loud. If we shut the fan off it would get hot in the room. There was no safe,fridge or microwave. They said it was their first yr and working on getting those things for the rooms. Also a $20.00 resort fee per night even though we only used the water park twice. We stayed there for 6 nights. They said it covered parking, towels and use of the fitness room too. The parking lot was not the greatest, with no security. Fitness room quite small. The location is good as far as walking to attractions ,restaurants etc. NO bugs in room but room was always damp feeling .

Room Tip: Ask for room away from water park.
2  Thank J9
CoCoKeyOrl, General Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to post this review and would like to apologize for the issues that occurred during your stay. Regarding the safes and refrigerators in the room, these are set to arrive within the next month. The $19.00 resort fee covers the use of the water park as well as use of amenities at our property such as free Wi-Fi, free parking, use of business center, and fitness center. Regarding safety on property, we have security at all times that monitor all areas of our property, including the parking lot. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 April 2011

Stayed for 2 weeks at Coco Key with husband and 2 kids (age 4 & 6). We had a fantastic time! The rooms were clean and spacious (2 Queens), beds and towels were all new, comfortable and fluffy. Housekeeping was a little inconsistent (sometimes they would forget to leave new soap after taking our used one away, or won't leave enough sets of towels, or forget to leave a clean bath mat, and some days our floor wasn't even vacuumed, etc). And the air conditioning unit was a bit too loud. But overall during our entire 14 night stay, we had a WONDERFUL time!!!! (We had bought the Orlando 14 day flex pass).

The pool and waterparks are awesome, our kids had so much fun! Lifeguards did a great job keeping an eye on the kids. The lobby is big and clean, loved the free lemonade and fresh baked cookies on the afternoons that we got them (they seem to bake them once a day around 5pm). Really appreciated the two computers with internet and printer too. And there is an open room with a TV playing cartoons for the kids so they can hang there while you check your email.

Location is great, we would take the free shuttle to Universal in the mornings and cab it back in the afternoons (taxi fare approx. $7) because we couldn't last long enough in the parks to catch the free shuttle back to hotel. We walked one time and it took about 30min. Half a block south is the BIGGEST McDonald's in the world with "gourmet" fare ie. pasta, philly cheese steak sandwiches, chicken quesadillas, etc and a huge play area on the 2nd floor.

BEWARE of one thing - the free shuttles (to/from Universal/Wet n'Wild/SeaWorld) are on a very limited schedule. Email the hotel to ask so that you can plan accordingly. In March, there would be 3 departure times in the mornings to Universal, one to Wet n Wild and 2 to SeaWorld. If you miss these times, you're on your own (I-Trolley serves International Drive). PLUS, to get the vouchers to board the free shuttles, you need to see the person behind the Universal desk across from the free computers in the lobby. And the counter is ONLY manned from 7am-11am. (There was a lady who had pre-purchase admission tickets to Universal and was checking into the hotel at 2pm, was hoping to get the tickets to enjoy the park that afternoon but Front Desk wasn't able to help her, as the tickets were behind the Universal counter. Felt so bad for her, she basically lost that day at the park).

The only things lacking with the hotel are: (1) there should be safes in each room for passports, etc; (2) there should be fridge/microwave in each room; and (3) elevators to our room was not always reliable.

Oh - one other thing, Aquatica (waterpark across from SeaWorld) is AMAZING!!!!! Go there, don't waste money at Wet n'Wild which was run down, not enough lifeguards, etc. Aquatica was an awesome escape from the crowds of the theme parks!

The hotel also charges ~$20/night for "resort fee". So don't be surprised when you check out!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel!

3  Thank Kitty H