“Great Value if you have kids that love water parks.”

Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort
Ranked #207 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Sunrise, Florida
“Great Value if you have kids that love water parks.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

While it is far from upscale, the rooms are nicely remodeled from the normal "motel" look it has outside.
The water park is not huge but it's got enough stuff to keep the kids entertained for hours. If you want a table or even a chair to put your stuff on...Get there EARLY (as they open) or late (after 4pm.) Seats are extremely limited and the park gets packed early! People can buy day passes to the park even if they are not staying at the hotel.(There's lockers you can pay but they are just outside the water's perimeter.) It has a great covered area for small kids w/heated water that extends to an addt'l pool with 2 twist slides for teens/adults.
The room prices per night are reasonable (especially if you catch a sale) but no matter what you pay, there's a fee per person ($20) for the water park's unlimited access(1x fee not per day.)
If the Waterpark is not your "thing" they have a nice pool that is only for hotel guests with a waterfall, shaded loungers and bar. They also has a great/ big arcade room (Much bigger than the avg hotel) that is open late. There are games and activities through the day and a few choices of places to get something to eat or drink.
If all else fails, this hotel is in the heart of International Dr...you can walk, drive or ride the bus to any other attraction. (Dunkin Donuts is next door, 24 hr Mcdonald's & Go Carting place is in walking distance.)
If you are going to Orlando w/kids for a few days or not the type of family that has to be at the park all day or first thing in the morning, this may be a good option for you. The water park opens approx 10 am & closes around 5-7 (depending on the day of the week & season.)
It's not perfect either... We stayed 2x's & the first time (about a yr ago) our room was impecable & smelled great. The 2nd, not so much. It was clean, but had a particular smell & you could see the wear/tear on the bathroom tub, toilet & door.
- We kept in mind that any room is going to go thru wear/tear and (even at an expensive 4☆ hotel) things are inevitable such as the smell left by previous people, especially if these rooms are being booked 24/7.
Come with moderated expectations and you will see that for the value price, location, & kid amenities..it's a deal.

• Stayed February 2014
CoCoKeyOrl, General Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your stay with us. We are so pleased you found our hotel and water resort to be a great value and a great time. We look forward to your next trip with us very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Polish first
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We were so excited to stay at Coco Key....until we arrived. The exterior looks like a motel and is in bad shape. We almost didn't stay! The check in process took quite a while as there were only two people helping. A gentleman dropped some money and another guest saw it and let him know. The lady sweeping the lobby said "that was about to be my tip". We should have left then. The rooms looked decent until further inspection revealed previous guests food still in the fridge and a wod of gum in the bathroom. The waterpark was a nightmare when we arrived. Full of various camps etc. there were way too many people inside the park and I realized that this place was open to the public. We didn't spend much time at the park because it just seemed really dirty. Upon going to bed there were bugs crawling on my pillow, yuck. Needless to say we cut our stay short and went home. If you are used to clean hotel rooms and a professional staff you will be disappointed.

7 Thank Cheermama2014
CoCoKeyOrl, Public Relations Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Cheermama2014,
I am very disappointed to hear about your experience here. We pride ourselves in being a safe, clean, fun, family friendly environment. I would like the opportunity to follow up and discuss your recent stay. Please contact me at your convenience.
321-206-4391
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my family loved our stay there, got what we expected, did not see coco though, bit disapointment for the kids, but location is awesome, and we just didnt want to go back home, with regards from iceland

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
CoCoKeyOrl, Guest Relations Manager at Coco Key Hotel and Water Park Resort, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Omar S,
Thank you for choosing CoCo Key as your Orlando Destination. I am delighted to know that you and your family had an awesome time. We do hope to see you again on your next trip to Orlando. Warm wishes from sunny Florida.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Nice hotel as far as price and water park. Was a bit disappointed with the food there. Most hotels offer free breakfast. We had to pay $25.00 for 3 people to eat some hard as brick pancakes. However, we really enjoyed our stay there. The price was a great deal and we were walking distance to almost everything we were there to visit. Hotel is a little old but it's clean and well kept. We didnt experience anything negative,except the food and on the first night, the housekeeper walked in without knocking ( thank goodness we wasnt butt naked or anything)( she was sweet and didnt know we checked in) . We enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: we stayed in building six. ( the tower)
Dear Neag b,
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay here at CoCo Key. We do offer many packages that include breakfast during your stay. If I could be of assistance with your next reservation, please feel free to contact me at any time. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon for their next Orlando Adventure.
Hammond, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is my first ever review on Tripadvisor.com and I feel I need to share my own experience and write a review on this hotel.

We stayed at this place the second week of June (just last week). Prior to, my husband and I checked out the reviews on this place. We tend to dismiss reviews where someone complains about their linens not being Egyptian cotton, or that nobody greeted them at the door. We're realistic in our expectations and know we're not looking to stay at a ritzy place.

Location:
The location you can say is convenient in that it is surrounded by a ton of places to eat, touristy things to do, cheap gift shops, but it is in a run-down area in my opinion.

Room:
The hotel room was actually surprisingly decent. Nice colors. I didn't do a white glove cleanliness inspection, a little dust doesn't bother me as it may some others, but overall the general appearance was nice.

Waterpark:
As others have mentioned, you should be aware that the waterpark is open to the general public which makes the waterpark VERY busy. There were SO many kids in the pools. There is a very basic and small outdoor pool that is exclusive to hotel guests but it also was packed, probably because of the limited space in the waterpark. They ran out of towels on several occasions, but I would see them left in random locations in the hotel because guests took them outside of the pool area. The biggest disappointment here were the hours of operation. The waterpark did not open til 11am and was only open til 8 or 9pm, I can't recall. I feel there was a missed opportunity to have the waterpark open from 8 or 9am to 11am for hotel guests only before it is opened to the public.

Other onsite amenities:
There is a restaurant onsite but again with very limited hours. The convenience store had no hours on the door so if you lost the piece of paper you got when you checked in, you'd have no clue. Simple vinyl stickers with hours of operation would be nice for guests. Hours were very limited and they closed at 5. There is onsite laundry. There is a small bar by the pool but they closed at 6 or 7pm. The arcade was big but, again, limited hours. I believe they closed at 9pm. There is a shuttle you can take to Universal Studios but the hours of operation are limited and you have to get a ticket from the front desk. They do offer a taxi/shuttle for $10 max which was nice but that will get spendy depending on what you're doing and where you're going.

Housekeeping and Customer Service:
This is where my biggest disappointment was. When we stay at hotels, we typically have our linens changed every other day instead of daily. The first time we had our room cleaned, they did a half-assed job with making the bed- okay, not a big deal but just noticed. The third day of our stay, our toilet wasn't flushing so I thought it was clogged. I called down for a plunger twice and after an hour went to find an employee to get one myself. I was told they were working on the plumbing on site so the water wasn't working which was likely causing the toilet issue. We decided to leave for the day but I stopped at the front desk to notify them that I wasn't sure if it was just requiring a plunger or if it was related to the plumbing work but I asked that someone take a look. When we came back to our room around 8pm it was in shambles. Lights were on, both beds were torn apart, there were cleaning spray bottles all over the floor, etc. The cleaning gal was a few doors down and said she went to get linens and got locked out of our room. I was irritated- who wants to come back to that after a long day, and why are you cleaning the rooms so late? But, I asked her how much time she needed so we could give her some space and we left. 25 mins. late we came back. We checked the toilet- still not working. I went back down to the front desk and asked the associate if there'd be any reason they'd have people cleaning occupied rooms at 8pm and he said no. I asked if there was a master key or something so people don't get locked out and he said the cleaning people have the master keys. So, I'm not sure what happened there but I let them know it's not okay. He was able to call someone for a plunger and the guy was just leaving as I got back, finally. The next day, we realized we were out of toilet paper because it was not restocked. It took two calls again and an hour and a half for them to deliver additional rolls. Move on to the following day- we got back from our hotel around 6pm and discovered they had changed our locks from a key insert to a key scanner lock. We had the "do not disturb" card in at the time so they don't clean our room daily but they had to have needed to go in for this job. There was NO notice to guests. A slip under the door, or a posting onsite would've been appropriate. So, by that point this was the last straw and I went to the front desk to speak to the manager. He came out and we sat down and I calmly but directly explained my issues. He sat there nonchalantly writing down notes, didn't say much, and I felt he wasn't actively listening at all. I got my new keys and he met us up in our room a few minutes later where again he lacked customer service skills. He "acknowledged" that there were some things that probably shouldn't have happened and offered to waive two days of resort fees ($25-$30/day). He couldn't do anything about our hotel fees because we booked through Universal but honestly I wasn't looking for much other than an apology and reassurance that this is not typical for the hotel which I didn't get.

When we come down to Orlando, we typically do Disney and stay at a Value or Moderate resort. This time we decided to just do Universal Studios and a day at the beach. This was a very stressful vacation because of the issues at this hotel and the lack of customer service. This hotel had potential but the way this place is run is terrible. My recommendation is that you save your money and stay with Disney and avoid International Drive all together.

4 Thank Christy S
Dear Christy S,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback of your recent stay. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate departments for further review. I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay with you. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience, I do hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future.
321-206-4391
Biloxi, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Choose this hotel with the SeaWorld Vacation Package and we were so happy we did! The staff was excellent, especially the front desk manager, very helpful. The waterpark was the best part, excellent lifeguards and everyone was very friendly and the kids loved the games. I would definitely recommend this hotel and we were all so glad we stayed there. Also great location on International Drive!!

Dear William W,
Thank you for your wonderful 5 Star review. We are delighted to know that you and your family had a wonderful time here at CoCo Key. We are a safe, clean, fun, family friendly environment that is centrally located in the heart of International Drive. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed in Orlando for 9 days the first 2 days were spent at this resort,its in the heart of the tourist area so if you are driving or flying in you dont have to worry about traveling far to anything.The first night there we noticed we did not have all the cable channels so the Engineer was nice enough to put us in another room for the night.The next day was a nightmare,lightning is very common in the area so there were several times when we were not allowed in the pool.As we were swimming lightning his a transformer and the power went out.The next minute we were asked to leave the pool area there was smoke everywhere we didn't have power from about 7:30pm until almost 5 the next morning.We didn't allow that to affect our trip because there were a ton of wonderful things about this resort.The water park area is excellent they have 2 areas that are uncovered for the water park and one area that is covered in case of bad weather.We traveled with our 2 year old so we played in all the water park areas.Universal City is less than 5 minutes away if you are not a Florida resident you will have to pay $5 for parking in University City that's the part I didn't like.I would recommend Legoland and the funspot for children around 2-3 years old Disney is too expensive and I believe my child will be too young to remember it there are alot of water parks to go rather than paying all the money for Disney.Mcdonalds and the other fast foods are expensive in the area so I recommend if you are staying for 5 days or longer go to Walmart and stock up on food.OH BY THE WAY THERE IS A SURCHARGE PER NIGHT OF ABOUT $23 PER NIGHT SO PREPARE FOR THAT THEY CHARGE U UP FRONT FOR THAT.Overall I would recommend this resort to other families vacationing in Orlando.

Room Tip: Stock up groceries at Walmart,Mcdonalds and some of the local restaurants will nickle and dime you
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear maxhicks,
Thank you for taking the time to review our wonderful property. We are centrally located on International Drive this is a great convenience for many of our travelers that do not rent a vehicle during their stay. In our resort fee we include up to 4 water park passes per room, free scheduled shuttle service to many theme parks, Wi-Fi, parking, fitness center and business center usage. We thank you for recommending us to others. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next adventure to Orlando.