“New option in Orlando”

Ranked #14 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Iowa City, Iowa
“New option in Orlando”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have made reservations in this hotel for a short stay in Orlando and it was really surprising that it is very new and well managed. Usually, I stay at another Hampton Inn in this city but, as its rates were not "nice" for this trip, I gave a try to the John Young Parkway. At first, I was not so confident, since it looked away from everything and in a quite isolated area. However, in fact, it is MUCH more convenient to reach International Drive, Florida Mall and the airport than I would have imagined. I felt like I was a 5-10 min drive from what matters in Orlando, with a close superstore to the hotel. The hotel itself is quiet and new, with helpful staff. Service is good, following Hampton Inn standards. And for me, one good advantage, when compared to the other Hampton Inn I use to stay in Orlando, is that the lobby can hold much more guests during breakfast time. Summing up, a very good choice for shopping, with quality service and rooms and, if you need something closer to Disney, I would suggest the other Hampton Inn, at Lake Buena Vista.

Room Tip: It looked like there was road construction close to the hotel. Although I did not hear anything (my...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
Norcross, Georgia
Reviewed 30 April 2012

As a number of other reviewers have mentioned, this Hampton Inn is really more oriented to business travelers than vacationers. When we arrived Sunday afternoon for our two night stay, it appeared the part of town it is in -- a business park area -- had "rolled up the sidewalks." However that was just fine for my wife and me; we have reached a point in our lives that we want to be away from the "excitement" when we turn in for the night while traveling.

Even though a bit "removed from the action," it was not too difficult to get to our desired destination -- Seaworld -- by driving. However I did get turned around and was going the wrong way on International Drive before figuring it out. So it might help to have a map of the area or to turn on your GPS (I didn't becuase I thought I knew where I was going -- ha!)

Speaking of GPS, we drove in on the FL turnpike, and the exit we were directed to take is a Sunpass prepaid only toll site (no cash accepted). Forturnately I saw this on the sign before getting off, and I just went on down the road a bit and was able to get turned around and, evenutally, to the hotel. This is certainly not the hotel's fault, but they might need to mention it in the driving directions on their website.

This hotel definitely met Hampton's standards, and overall we were highly satisfied and would definitely stay here again when we visit Orlando.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gaken
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I needed a room near the Orlando Convention Center for a couple of nights while we were to attend an Andrew Wommack conference at the Hilton. We had previously stayed at another hotel nearby but I was having trouble finding the listing for that property so with the help of The Negotiator, I started a new search.

This Hampton Inn popped up for under $90 through one of Trip Advisor's partners so I reserved a room here as the ratings of this four year old property were 9+ out of 10. We checked in late and were quickly taken care of by the night manager herself and in no time, we had two hot cookies and were on our way to our room.

I can't express enough how nice it is after a long day to find a spacious, super clean room waiting. If you've ever stayed in a Hampton, you know what the rooms are like: large and handsomely appointed. Again, this property is only 4 years old but a room can get wrecked in less time. Apparently, the management of this hotel takes constant steps to keep the place in top shape. The walls were unscathed, the beds were large queens, firm but not hard with pillow top mattresses, the cable television had lots of crystal clear channels to watch, WiFi was strong and fast. This room had a large mini-fridge that did not have a freezer section and also came with a microwave and coffee maker.

The bathroom was spacious, looked brand new, comfortable and had a separate door from the rest of the room. Our room, 314, was directly backed by the elevators but we did not hear any noise at all from those units. Another nice touch was the ice maker and drink machine, which are normally next to the elevators, are actually in a closed room with a glass door. This prevents the sound of the coolers from disturbing the guests in the adjacent rooms as well as the sound of people filling their buckets with ice. We thought this was a real clever idea and kudos to Hampton Inns for coming up with this feature.

The breakfast area is large with the typical annoying large screen TV at one end. These should never have the sound up as it causes all the patrons eating to speak loudly to be heard over the TV. We would suggest that management mute the sound and turn the closed captioning on. This would provide a more pleasant breakfast experience. The offering for breakfast at a Hampton is usually pretty good. Our first morning was great. Fresh fruit greets hungry travelers. The hot entrees were reconstituted scrambled eggs and sausage patties. The eggs were okay but the sausage was great. They also have the make-you-own Belgian waffles and cold cereal. Add to that all the normal bagels, muffins, apples (individually wrapped), etc., and you'll get plenty to fill you up. Also noted is that they had four different types of juice and three different types of coffee to drink.

The second day the hot offerings were a cheese covered bagel and a cheese omelet. This was not the best idea as many people like myself do not or can not eat cheese so having the two hot foods both with cheese is not good planning. So I made myself a waffle. Where not terrible, it tasted like and had the consistency of pancake batter, which is much cheaper than good quality waffle mix so this could be improved but is a nit-pick. The second day fresh fruit offering was not as good as the first and we would recommend a greater variety in the mix. Still good but could be better.

A nice feature of Hamptons is the free lunch bag they provide (until the daily supply runs out) at the front desk. These consist of various things like health bars, apples, bananas, a bottle of water, etc. A nice touch and we took ours to have for our break-time snack during the conference.

The manager told us that this property was built as a business hotel as it's off the beaten path and right in the middle of a commercial complex, so it may be under the radar for many folks going to the theme parks or attending events at the Convention Center, which is only two miles away. We would highly recommend the Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando John Young Parkway for any travel to the Orlando area!

Room Tip: They are currently doing heavy construction on the property directly to the east of the hotel proper...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank sounddude
Smith's Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed for one night before driving to Port Canaveral (about one hour drive) to embark on a cruise. I had called a few weeks before to ask about having packages sent to the hotel and the Front Desk Manager couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. We had a king suite with sofa bed which was ideal for our 7 year old. The room was very spacious and the bathroom quite large with whirlpool tub. Our room was quiet and the bed comfortable. We weren't in the hotel for long but found the staff very friendly and helpful. When I asked the hotel to send back one of my packages the front desk manager couldn't have been more accommodating, seemed like nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank buccij
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed here for a short visit to Orlando and could not have been more pleased. Hotel was clean, rooms spacious, and staff friendly. The breakfast was a great way to start our day. The price was a nice change in what we expected. Just a few miles from international drive through a lightly traveled business district, no heavy traffic. There are also several nice restaurants in a short drive. Easy place to stay and drive to theme parks, a lot less harried than staying on a theme park site. Accomidated my family well, I recommend this hotel for a short trip to the fun city of Orlando.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Ltmiller
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I only stayed one night at this hotel, but my one night stay was good. Reasonably priced. Staff was courteous. Rooms were clean and up to date. Breakfast was good. Hotel wasn't extremely busy during my stay so the environment was quiet and clean. Location of hotel was perfect for me because I wasn't staying in Orlando for vacationing or to be near theme parks, but to visit a friend who lived off of John Young Pkwy. Hotel is near plenty of shopping areas and stores and not far from International Dr. There's road and land construction near hotel so it was a little dusty but that is out of the hotel owners control. I would stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from main road and lowest level room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Latonia S
East Coast of Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This was an excellent Hampton Inn. It looks very new and has been well kept up. We had a King Suite and it was spacious, clean, and very quiet. There is nothing near to this hotel in terms of restaurants or shopping, but that was fine with us as we didn't need any of those things. It's conveniently located about 15 minutes to the Orlando airport where we were going the next day (in our own car). Breakfast was the usual at Hamptons....very adequate. Cookies were good the night before, too! Extremely nice front desk staff -- both at check in, evening, and morning interactions.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends