“Beautiful property, excellent customer service”

Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort
Ranked #179 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
“Beautiful property, excellent customer service”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I brought my two young children to stay here for two nights while visiting Walt Disney World. The property is enormous and beautiful. Everything is in pristine condition.
The valet service is easy and the valets are extremely accommodating. The check in procedure is simple and quick. The front desk staff are also extremely accommodating and friendly.
The rooms are standard but comfortable. We had a 2 Queen bed, resort view room. There is a flat screen tv, sitting area and a refrigerator. Unfortunately, the A/C wasn't working properly and our room was a bit "muggy" I notified guest services and they sent a technician up to check on our unit. He said that due to the construction going on at the resort that one of the cooling systems wasn't working properly & it was affecting some of the rooms a/c units. He said that is should be fixed by the next day but it wasn't-so I notified guest services and they promptly moved us to a new room and also gave me a $100 resort credit. I really appreciate the effort they made to rectify the situation.
The resort is located within WDW but is a Westin property. It's location is awesome.We took a short walk over to the Yacht & Beach Resort to catch the boat to Epcot. It's a beautiful area and the resort has a lot of restaurants and pools. The main pool is incredible with a grotto, waterfall, volley ball area and even a water slide!
I highly recommend the Swan & Dolphin for your family vacation to Disney World.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mecruz
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are so happy that overall you enjoyed your stay! You are correct, our iconic resort is quite large, offering plenty of spaces to relax and enjoy.
We truly appreciate your kind words about our Cast Members. In the occasion that we need to provide extra assistance to our guests in order to resolve a concern, we aim to do so in a manner that we hope will enhance our guests' experience. It is pleasing to know we were able to make things better during your stay.
We would love to welcome you back! Don't forget the Holiday season will be here before you know it and we are known as Santa's Favorite Resort!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Dolphin is a very convenient hotel if you are going to Epcot or Hollywood Studios! A short boat ride takes you to either. You can also walk. We did one night when there was lightening and the boats weren't running. Not a bad walk at all. You can also go to the Boardwalk although we didn't. There are complimentary bus shuttles to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. Plan for extra time in the morning on the bus to Magic Kingdom. Not the hotels fault just a lot of traffic. The trip back to the hotel in the afternoon was quick! Now to the hotel. We had one upgrade from a basic room. It was a nice size room. Good Beds! Mini Fridge, coffee maker that was easy to use and I went down to the coffee counter in the lobby in the morning and got a small cup of cream, kept it in fridge and had coffee every morning. For Starwood guests they give you two bottles of water (which I made the coffee from) and then we took one bottle to the park every day (there were only two of us). Every restaurant counter will give you a fresh cup of ice water if you ask and we would just fill our bottle from that!

Back to the room. Shower and bath area decent with enough room for two to get ready, one at the sink and one at the mini bar area. Good amenities and hairdryer! Safe in room big enough for laptop etc.

LOVED the Cabana Bar by the pool. Great drinks and great Appies. Pricey yes, but we are from NJ and used to that.

The pool was lovely. Waterfall, waterside etc. Unfortunately, the only two days we planned on using it, there were thunderstorms and we had to vacate. So back to the Cabana bar for a cocktail and then a nap before the park!

I didn't Love the hotel, but didn't hate it either?! I really hate a huge hotel with a lot of walking. I would maybe ask for a room by the pool next time. The hotel is like a large pyramid shape and unfortunately we were at the Entirely opposite end of Pool and Shuttle bus stop.

Would stay again if the price was right. The location was great, room was good, and that is what we wanted.

Room Tip: if you have kids and are going to use the pool and park shuttle buses ask to be on that side of hote...
Green Features: I loved that if you preferred your room not to be cleaned/change sheets/towels every day, they gave you a $5 dollar voucher to be used at hotel. We used two one day and got muffins for breakfast before getting on the shuttle. They STILL brought up towels/coffee/shampoo!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Suzanne D
What a detailed review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and others. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and it sounds like you took full advantage of our unbeatable location.

Since you like resorts with a little more intimate feel you may want to consider staying with us at the Swan. The Swan is smaller than the Dolphin, so you may find the size of the Swan more to your liking. Really though, you're sure to have a great time in either one.

If there is anything we can do to help make your future stay more comfortable please let us know!
Dupont, WA
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Dolphin and Swan are magical places to stay when visiting the Magic Kingdom. I am an annual pass holder and we stay at the Swan and Dolphin when we travel to the parks. We were at the Dolphin this time but actually spent most of our time at the hotel by the pool, etc. We love this property and all of the amenities. I would live here if I could...lol. You are close to everything and the staff is magnificent. Will stay anytime that we can.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces EPCOT or Hollywood Studios to observe the night activities.
Green Features: The practice recycling, and they do all they can with the Green Choice Program to conserve resources.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We are pleased to learn that you found our amazing location in Disney beneficial to you. We are also thrilled that you have had the opportunity to enjoy our many outlets and amenities.

We thank you for your loyalty! We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Mobile
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We really hated to leave.all of the staff was so professional and helpful with a smile on their faces.they all seems to be happy. My Favorite Restaurant was the Fresh Market they were so awesome we had breakfast their every morning.the very nice and professional manager would always come around to our table and say is everything perfect!!! And I love that I've never had anyone at a restaurant to ask if everything was perfect they would say is everything ok if and when they came around.I can't spell his name if I could I would for surely let you guys know who he is I'm sure he remember because of my twin girls they even took a photo with him.they also had a great waiter there as well I think it was Javier.we really loved our stay and And can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Abgirltwo
We appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience. Our team at Fresh Mediterranean Market is very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your dining experience! We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are also sad to see you go, but we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon! Thank you for being our guest.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I'm a seasoned traveler to Disney , I have been about 30+ times. The Swan is a great place to stay if you are looking for close boat travel to Epcot or Hollywood Studios. Rooms and bathrooms clean, beautiful grounds and you can literally walk to the Boardwalk. Something to think about if you are a nurse, teacher, or military they offer reduced rates! Only thing I wish is that they offered the cup refill system through Disney and the Magic bands,at the time we were there that hadn't been established yet. Check out the Fountain at the Dolphin for yummy food and ice cream.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Disneychickfl7
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hello and thank you very much for allowing us to be part of your Disney vacation! We are pleased to hear that you and your family had a marvelous time during your vacation. Thank you for your wonderful tips to our future guests as well as our readers on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you were able to take full advantage of our many promotional rates that we offer to our guests. Thank you for your valued input on the Disney’s refill mug system as well as the Magicbands. Your words have been shared with our Executive Hotel Management Leadership team. Thank you for being our guest. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Located at Epcot area close by to the Boardwalk entertainment area, Epcot side entrance (close to England at the showcase) and Disney Hollywood Studios. You can take a walk to both theme parks or use the boats for transportation.
Initially designed as a Luxury WDW Hotel, now many ears later is not so "luxury" its hosted by Westin.

I stayed at the Swan, however both hotels are connected by a Palms tree avenue, with lights and ambient music creating excellent experience (Disney touch here).

Swan is more quiet and smaller than Dolphin but you will see a lot of movement from different groups and competitions (at the time of my stay there was a dancing tournament)

The Best: The Surrounding Area. Pool Area, and amenities. Outstanding!.
The room was very wide, comfortable beds, with coffee & tea and bottled water at no charge.

The no so good:
The View: My room was front facing. Even that I have Twilight tower of Terror at direct sight, the view of the wide front access roof was really bad. They missed the touch here, may be a fake grass on the roof would make it.

The Garden Groove restaurant with tree and lights was used in the past for character dinning experiences. Its my understanding this is not longer since Westin took ownership. The hotels maintain the other Disney Guests benefits, like transportation, Magic hour, Disney store inside the hotel, having your purchases delivery to your hotel at no charge... etc..

In conclusion: I loved the hotel except for some details, however, personally ill rather prefer something closer to the Disney Marketplace (Former known as Downtown Disney) instead the Epcot Area & Boardwalk.

My final recommendation: Disney is in a constant renovation, so look for areas where the renovations were already made to avoid those under construction/under maintenance wood panels and take the most of your experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the front ones.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Acidus
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us. It is wonderful to hear that you and your family had a great time! It is great to hear that you were able to take full advantage of our amazing location as well as all of the conveniences and amenities. that we have to offer to all of our guests. Thank you for your helpful tips to our future guests as well as our readers here on TripAdvisor. Thank you for being our guest. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2014

So I am staying here for my daughters dance competition under a group block rate. Our reservations were from Wednesday to Sunday. Turns out here team did not make the extra few nights and we had to depart short of the planned stay...As I brought this up to the hotel management and staff...they indicated: Well you have to pay. First off they told me I had to pay all remaining nights (Friday and Saturday) and there is no negotiating this policy. Then they tell me well its a one night stay penalty of 159 plus tax...so it turns out to be 180!!! I was never given any notice of this charge or authorized this at all...they tell me this charge applies to any cancellation that occurs 5 FULL DAYS IN ADVANCE???? really....what if a major medical emergency occurs before I even check in ... one day penalty occurs. What kind of protection does a traveler have from Sheratons bean counters to prevent such a thing? The sad thing is that we stayed two nights already - a guest - spending money at their hotel...to the tune of almost $600...Did I get a thank you and we understand so please come again? No - I get a here is a nice penalty charge for you sir. The staff were rude and not accommodating.

Overall the hotel is dated...bathrooms are from the 1990s and same with the furniture...the only thing new was the comforters...but the beds were uncomfortable. We also did not receive room makeup (although we did not have the "do not disturb sign out") and had to call to have them come up...Food was par in their Picabo cafeteria. Pool water was way overchlorinated and the design is huge for oversight of small children. I will never be staying at this hotel again...

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
Green Features: None - they have 3 gallon toilet flushes and super high flow showerheads
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Spades84
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
We understand how unsettling an unexpected charge can be. We apologize that the standard Early Departure Fee came as a surprise to you and we regret that your stay with us ended on a difficult note. We do provide full disclosure about the Early Departure Fee in the confirmation email that is sent at the time of booking. Additionally, our Resort Report does disclose this as well.

We appreciate your feedback and regret that you did not have a more enjoyable experience at our resort.