“Stayed at The Dolphin”

Ranked #177 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
NY
“Stayed at The Dolphin”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This hotel had a great kid's club babysitting service. The grounds were very pretty and great restaurants. Room was great and faced the water near the pool. I loved the convenience of the boat to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. The pool area was fantastic and my kids loved hanging out there more than the parks. The one downside was no shuttle service to and from the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ktravel15
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your recent stay here with us. We are delighted to hear that you and your family had a great time during their stay. We do hear that often about our Grotto Pool…that kids want to stay there more than the parks! We are thrilled to hear that your children had a great and fun filled time at the Grotto Pool! Thank you for being our guest. We hope to see you soon on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We orginally booked for 4 days but decieded to extend a extra day due to the rain out one day. Wish I had known the nightmare it would become. When we decieded to stay longer I called guest services and they said yes they have rooms. I went to front desk and inquired with the gentleman working and he said they do have rooms and he have me rate. I explained that was a higher rate than hotels.com and I was a florida resident. He went to get assistance from someone and was gone about 10 minutes as I sat there with 2 little ones aone age 6 the other age 22 months. They came back and looked on computer and they ended up calling reservations. They confirmed everything and had me speak to lady from reservations on phone. I asked the rate and if I could stay in same room as I did not want to move. She asked me my room # and said no problem you will not have to change rooms and so I booked it with her and she said there is no cancellations or refunds.

Immediately as soon as I got off phone the young lady said she cannot guarantee that I can have the same room. I explained what she said and said there is no way I am switching as I have way too much stuff and I would not of extended stay if I had to move rooms for one night. She messed around on computer for a few minutes and said I would have to move I said I wanted to speak with a manager as I was promised something and not given and now i could not get my $ back for that extra day.

Finally 15 more minutes went by and a lady came out from the back. i explained everything. Her response was I'll have to move but she would check. I immediately thought to myself she did not seem like a manager so I said to the guy still standing with us at front and asked if she was a manager? He shrugged his shoulders and wouldn't really answer. I said "Sir ,I she a member of management of this hotel?" He said no she worked in reservations. I said I want to speak to a manager either a assistant hotel manager, GM or someone in charge. Finally 15 minutes later someone arrived to help who was some type of manager. I explained I have waited there at dest for 1 hour and 10 minutes and asked to talk to manager and they sent me someone from reservations... Ridiculous.. He aploogized and gave me a couple options one was a room upgrade to a junior suite which we did but still had to move rooms.

We ended up moving room but was very upset by all that happened. We were at front desk 1 hour 15 minutes with 2 little ones, lied about who I was talking to. We went and packed waited for bellman swithched rooms and unpacked the time for all this 3 hours 30 minutes. We missed our fast passes and no additional times were available so we never went to Animal Kingdom wasted 3 1/2 hours. the room they moved us to was real nice but would much rather had those hours back and go to park. 20/20 hindsight would not have extended stay..

Room Tip: avoid rooms that connect as you can hear everthing in room next door
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Scott L
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Scott, thank you for taking the time to correspond with our Executive Office. We regret that you encountered such a challenge with extending your reservation and that we were not able keep you in the same room. We hope that you enjoyed the extra space of the new room we provided.
We have visited with our Front Office and Reservations Leadership teams about your experience and hope that the steps we have taken have enhanced your experience with us. If we can be of any additional assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We've stayed twice at the Swan and Dolphin Resort. I love the excellent service and the restaurants available between the two hotels. Great place to stay close to Epcot and the Boardwalk. Will return again!

Room Tip: Try to choose a room on the backside of the Dolphin. The rooms at the front are close to the founta...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rstrick
WDWSDExecutiveOffice, Manager at Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your quick review of your stay. We are pleased to hear that you returned for another fantastic time at our resort. We can’t wait for your next visit!
tampa, fl
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Nice resort, proximity to Disney can't be beat. The pools and grounds are great, make sure you carve out time to enjoy these amenities. I wish we had more time for the grotto pool!
As owners of a pool company, we did notice black algae in lap pool by the Swan, management should take care of that before the pool is ruined.

You do get fast pass access and extra magic hours. You do not get Mickey bands or free dining options if you were to stay at a true Disney property. One thing they offer, we did not use is 2 free hours of babysitting when you eat at one of their restaurants!

Most reviews I have read complained about the transportation, but we found both the buses and the boats very convenient to get to Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Hollywood Studios. In fact, we hit up Disney boardwalk for dinner, boat to Epcot for fireworks, then hopped on the boat to catch the 9:45 Frozen fireworks at Hollywood Studios!

The rooms: Ours was upgraded to an executive suite, maybe that is why it was not ready until 7pm (we did not care, we were in the parks)! While it was not the most updated hotel room, it was comfortable, spacious, the only thing missing was a microwave. The king bed was very very comfortable. Room quality was in good comparison to FWL, except for the size, but remember we had a 1 bedroom, executive suite, our room was HUGE!

The hotel staff was friendly, pleasant and willing to help with anything. The room was cleaned and stocked each night we came back to retire.

On refurbishing: During our stay ALL the rooms with Epcot/fireworks view were closed for remodel, so, be forewarned, not disappointed!

As for the food, drinks and room service, they were very good, but way overpriced. But this is Disney. We enjoyed Picabu for breakfast and room service 1X for late night dinner.The 20$/night resort fee is way too much for WiFi and a few water bottles, should also include parking and a Mickey band!

I hope this helps your choices!

Green Features: green hotel with SPG credit if you choose to not have towels restocked and room cleaned.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank poolpt
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us. We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time during your stay. Thank you for letting us know about our Swan lap pool. Your words have been shared with our Recreational Leadership team. We are thrilled that you were able to take full advantage of all the amenities that we offer our guests here at our resort. It sounds like you had a lovely and relaxing time in our executive suite! Thank you for being our guest. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

It wasn't a Disney hotel and nothing inside related to Disney when you do booking they makes you feel that its One of Disney Hotels then u get into reality that its not when u reach there , just the shuttles that takes you to there and the location, the room wasn't clean the floor need to be cleaned in the rooms, it was good fir its location that very close to Hollywood Disney and the Epcot.
It was ok big hotel and nice views sharing it with the swan hotel as they are the same owner , the staff will nit even mention disney in anything room service will not put u anything in the room if u didn't
ask for even basic things , if u asked for something it tajes not less than 40 minutes to get it but the lady who answered the phone she was so so sweet she keeps tracking if u get what u asked for
The parking u have to pay for it its 16 per day fir self parking and more expensive for a Valet.
In general it was ok and little expensive to its services with no breakfast.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. It is disappointing to hear that your stay was not what you have expected it to be. Even though we are not a Disney resort, we do offer many Disney amenities like the transportation to all of the Disney parks, Disney’s Magic Hours, On-Site Ticketing counter and more. Thank you for being our guest. We do hope that you will return.
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 5 night stay with family (all adults). Stayed in dolphin, standard 2 double beds room was basic but clean, rooms have a refrigerator which was nice. Has several pools including waterfalls which were really refreshing. The resort has it all, food, drinks, etc but Key to this hotel is location. You can walk to boardwalk which has fun stuff to do & see, or more reasonably priced stuff to eat (bakery for breakfast & pizzeria at night no added food resort fees!) also ferry boat takes you from dolphin to epcot or it's an easy 10 min walk. Beware of Hotel restaurants they seem to add an extra fee on bill - even the self serve restaurant....this is in addition to a daily resort fee which was > $20 per day. Used gym which I thought was better than average hotel gym, had 3 rooms with aerobic equip, weight machines, free weights, etc everything you need for good workout. We would stay again as we loved hotel location you can't beat it. We did not have a car, we walked, used disney shuttle buses and ferry. Hotel staff were very pleasant & helpful. Grounds very clean. We would stay here again bring location is very convenient. We also celebrated a bday and ordered a special cupcake tray which came with 3 different dipping toppings,very cool!

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to us. We are thrilled to hear that you were able to celebrate a birthday here with us! We are also pleased to hear that you and your family were able to take full advantage of our amazing location within Walt Disney World as well as taking the transportation from our resort to the parks. We do apologize about the inconveniences about certain pricing throughout our resort. We do monitor current pricing and practices in the marketplace to ensure we are in line with other comparable resorts. Thank you for being our guest. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at any time.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We love staying at the Swan/Dolphin when visiting Disney World. The resort puts you in walking distance to EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, the Boardwalk, and Disney's Yacht & Beach clubs, and boat transportation is also available.Bus transportation to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom is frequent and quick. In addition, the resort itself offers so much--excellent restaurants, fun pools, relaxing pools, 24 hours grab and go mart, 24 hour room service. We highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: We typically do not opt for a resort view room as we spend so much time at the parks and only use th...
Green Features: We love the "green choice" option which gives you SPG points or a resort credit for declining daily housekeeping. Also, the hotel has numerous recycling centers prominently and conveniently located throughout the resort.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Spozy
Thank you for your recent stay here with us. We are thrilled to hear that we are the place that you stay when it comes to your Disney World family trip! We agree with you, our location is absolutely perfect within Walt Disney World. Thank you for your lovely words about our resort. Thank you for being our guest. We are looking forward to your next Disney vacation.