“Okay...But You Can Find Better For The Same Price”

Quality Suites Universal South
Ranked #288 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 21 April 2012

In May of 2011 my wife and I were attending a conference in Orlando and needed a hotel room for a couple of nights. I was a bit nervous about staying here from some of the reviews but we were shopping location to the Orlando Hilton, where the meetings were, and price. So I booked us in for one night, thinking that if it was really bad, we'd go somewhere else the next two.

This is an old property that has been renovated. The renovation was done okay but the property is not being kept up well so everything is quickly wearing again. Our bottom floor room was okay but was starting to wear out already. We did not see any bugs like others have and we got good rest, except for noisy guests directly above us. Folks, if you are going to stay in a hotel, be mindful that you are not at home and don't let your kids jump off the beds onto the floor at 1 in the morning!

The next day at checkout we decided we would stay there and asked for an upstairs room. The room we got was much nicer, almost brand new and hardly used after the renovation. Apparently they don't rotate the use of the rooms and book the bottom floor first so if you are going to stay here, ask for an upstairs room. Our second night was much better as the room was like being in a new hotel.

The breakfast experience is something else. Because this is a popular family motel, it's a whole lot of people jammed into a tiny space. Talk about elbows in ribs and it's LOUD! The food is okay...when you can get any. Don't go here for the food and try to eat as soon as the breakfast area opens.

The motel is a typical motel. The rooms have been renovated but are wearing out again and depending on which one you get, you may find mold, dirt, other problems and unwanted guests (roaches) sharing your pad. As far as our stay, it was okay. But you can find much better, cleaner properties just down the road for the same price!

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room. They apparently book the bottom floor first and those are the most worn. T...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank sounddude

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Do not stay at this hotel...it used to be nicer until the recent management. They are cowards and will avoid dealing with issues that you legitimately bring to them. The front desk person that was there when we checked in even said that managment was "new" and "poor". Many of the people who work there are in the same family, but they all "protect" the manager by not letting you talk to them. Even the brother of the hotel (who is also co-owner according to housekeeping), will lie to your face. He says things like "Oh, you need to take that up with the manager. I just work here...I do not know him".

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
7  Thank Anthony Y
Reviewed 17 April 2012

drove for 18 hours looking forward to a nice shower and a cozy bed . first impression I was greeted by a clerk that could use a fresh shower and a good shaving . i booked a room with two queen size bed and a sofa bed, instead I got a room with two full size bed and no sofa bed, and to make matters worst it had a handicap shower that could bathe a horse in it one look at the toilet and i notice what it looks to me like fecfal matter and that was it , i checked out paid them for one day after only staying there for 30 minutes and that was from onloading the bags and loading them back to my car . ended up staying in a hotel at international drive cant say the name . but please anything affiliated with marriot is your best bet . shop around and forget the hot breakfast . its not woth it .

5  Thank Moises R
Reviewed 16 April 2012

After driving about 14 hours to Orlando, we get to the hotel super excited to check in, take a shower, rest and go to the pool..... I thought I was walking in with my family to a cheap road motel. The smell of humidity, dirty blankets, missing furniture, and moldy tub made me go back to the the front desk and return their key. After I saw and experience with my own eyes how dirty and ugly it was all I wanted was an apology for false advertisement, but nooooo. They wanted to charge me a full day. I was livid. I told the manager if she lay her head on the bed she was asking my family to sleep I will pay her for the whole entire week. She was "surprised" the bed sheets where yellow and dirty and she wouldnt even go to the room to walk through with me. My friends that were also traveling with us got to the hotel about 4 hours later and asked to see their room before they checked in and the manager wouldn't let them see it. My friend, husband and three children decided to leave also. That is not all they charge my friend a full day of stay without even seeing the room. Please read reviews before you check in a hotel. we end up going to Fairfield Marriott in International Drive across from Seaworld and let me tell you WHAT A DIFFERENCE! PLEASE DON'T BOOK THIS HOTEL NOT EVEN FOR ONE NIGHT IS AWFUL!

Room Tip: "Read all reviews" "Ask to see the room before checking in" " Ask for ab...
4  Thank Nelly R
Reviewed 15 April 2012

First of all the room wasn't clean, with cobb webs in the corners. The door peep hole was missing glass, therefore anyone could look directly into the room. The refrigerate shelves were rusting and disgusting. The ultimate fifth were the roaches running up and down, and all around the room!!! We had to smash seven before running out to get a can of bug spray to fumigation the room before we could sleep. The only positive thing I can say about this experience is checking out. This terrible hotel was referred to me from RCI; it is my recommendation that they be removed from RCIs list of hotels.

Room Tip: Don't Choose Quality Inn Universal South in Orlando and investigate referrals from RCI.
3  Thank shawn s
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We checked in and got key card to room with a broken lock and could not get in. After a man from the front desk let us in and confirmed the lock was busted he could not to let us switch rooms because we bought thru Kayak. They were supposedly booked up. They gave rooms to the people who booked with them directly. Meanwhile I saw others check in behind us!? The room was missing a phone, blow dryer, and alarm clock. It was next to the dumpsters and we were awakened at 6:30 AM. They said they could switch us first thing in the morning but we had to wait until 10:45 AM. After we complained they said call Kayak?! I asked for the manager and he or she never came around. Our new room had no hot water for 2 nights and filthy towels on one of the days. I wanted to like it because it had many nice amenities for such a low price. The aggravation was not worth it.

3  Thank phreeradical
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Charged us $100 for changing sheets which by their own admission they washed and reused. The managers would not even say who they are...just like cowards they did not have the guts to say we are the managers/owners. Trash was all over the building (by the stairs, in the laundry room, etc). Bad smell most places. Hot tube was freezing cold. Jets not working and we were told no maintenance person available (so if you had a toilet flood after around 5pm......you must live with it until the next day!!!!)....The coffee maker in our room had mold in the water comparment. There was no towels at the pool the excuse was "too many people"...that was funny because there was only 4 people at the pool for >4 hours and still no towels. Maintenance man walked in on us in our room WITHOUT knocking. Breakfast room is so crambed together you can't even walk between tables. Everytime we walked by the main desk there was someone with a complaint...Here are some of the coments the managers said "can't help you", "you need to contact your reservation agency", "I can't do anything about that" etc. I also observed the desk manager ignoring a customer who was speaking and go to another customer. They had the attitude of " we don't care".

The worst thing to me is their unethical, fradulant actions. I requested to change sheets which by their own admission have washed and reused but yet THEY CHARGED US $100 for "damaged item"...If that is not fraud tell me what is? The front manager would not admit that she was the manager when we asked to speak to a manager. She simply said "we can not and will not remove the charge"..Later she said "you can contest the charge with your credit card company"!!!! WHAT!!!!!! that was her most stupid comment of the day! What does our credit card company has to do with a charge that they put on our bill....Then she said you can take it to customer service..When we spoke to customer service they said that this issue must be resolved by the hotel and requested to talk to her....She tried to put the problem on customer service and so they hung up on her..WOW!! I guess they were tiered of this hotel's problems! When we asked for the manager we were told "no manager" when I said there has to be someone in charge, we were told "there is a manager but they are not avaialbe." We requested contact info and we were given a generic card for the hotel with out a name or phone number!! Later we saw a man with same ethnic background as the desk staff....My husband asked him if worked there, he denied it saying he is only there watching the maintenance man. So my husband asked a diffrent emplyee about who that person was.....Well turns out he was one of the two brothers who own the place and the staff at the desk were the managers!!!! What cowards, they did not have the guts to own up to the problems and deal with them but they were in hurry to charge $100 for sheets that were NOT damaged!

Main point is that you are spending money for a service that is not given...At this hotel you are unwelcomed and you will be treated as an inconvenience, the problems you have with the hotel are your problems and you will not get any assistance.

3  Thank Grace Y