“Great girls weekend”

Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #108 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
“Great girls weekend”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here for a girls weekend to celebrate my birthday. We arrived around one and were immediately checked in. The front desk staff was friendly. The lobby and bar area were very pretty. Our room was nice, but pretty normal overall. I thought the beds were nice but overall the room could have been decorated a bit more "castle-like" similar to the lobby area. I've stayed at several other autograph hotels and liked those rooms better. The grounds have been nicely updated. We had dinner at tutu tango, right in front of the hotel. After dinner we sat in the hot tub until we were told it was closing at 11 pm. That was disappointing, but whatever. The next morning we had breakfast in the pool side cafe. We loved the fresh orchid artwork. The food and service were great. Especially the service. We lounged by the pool for several hours and the pool server was great as well, very friendly. After pool time we went upstairs, got our stuff and checked out. (We had a late check out, thanks!) Overall I thought the hotel was pretty and the staff very good. The location on I drive is very convenient to restaurants and entertainment. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Battle Creek, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We had a wonderful experience at The Castle Hotel in Orlando. The Hotel is beautifully decorated and the pool area is beautiful and relaxing. It was one of the cleanest Hotels I have stayed in. There is a poolside bar with a fine menu for breakfast & lunch. The food was good and the drinks were good. The Lobby is beautiful and the 9th floor roof terrace was a joy to relax on and watch the Disney fireworks from. This hotel is also located in a excellent location. With in walking distance to many restaurants, bars, shopping and entertainment. I would highly recommend this Hotel,,,,, "resort" anyone.
One negative I have to say is I would like to see a refrigerator and microwave in each room! Otherwise is a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: if you are a smoker, the 9th floor has access to the roof terrace. otherwise all floors are fine.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amy M
Glenealy, Ireland
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed here with 2 young kids. Lovely hotel. Staff could not be friendlier. Does not have a huge food offering but that really does not matter as it is well located with food outlets close. Well worth a visit . Has a lovely pool

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have not even checked out of The Castle yet. I'm local and have four kids so we frequent all of the hotels. My daughter and I share February birthdays so we celebrated at The Castle. The staff was excellent, parking was a breeze, we walked to Señor Frogs and the decor is absolutely breathtaking. We booked a tower room and the room was perfect. I think it is a great location for a woman's retreat or a mother daughter escape! Thank you Castle Hotel and Marriott!

• Stayed February 2014
Hastings
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Capped off our short stay..friendly and informative about the property and other Kessler Collection Hotels...Try to check in before 9th so you can take advantage of Disney s fireworks display from the 9th floor observation decks...Rooms was clean and we'll appointed for our stay..again..Joe the Doorman did a great job....we even invited him and his wife to call upon us if he was ever in our area....

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul N
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I had great expectations of the Castle, based upon some other Marriott Autograph properties I had stayed at – alas, my hopes were dashed. The hotel was OK, in fact, not even that. We got off to a bad start by pulling up outside the main entrance mid-afternoon … and there was no-one (inside or outside) to greet us and help unload our bags. The gate was up and the portcullis was down. We ventured inside, checked in, and were struck by the lobby décor. It’s very … purple, but actually pretty striking, with a nice little bar off to one side and a collection of artwork that continued throughout the property. You’ll also discover that the artwork and the brown/purple theme makes the corridors and rooms seem somewhat dark. That may be the castle theme, but I felt it all a little dim and murky although the artwork is definitely worth your time to view.

Our room, on the 8th floor, was pretty nice at first glance, if a little small. The view was overlooking the roof of another building and then out over International Drive. (Note you can go up to the 9th floor where there a couple of terraces that will give you a view of the 9pm fireworks). Over the course of our one night stay we noted the lack of toilet paper (!), an incredibly noisy and dusty/dirty heating outlet in the bathroom (showing its Holiday Inn roots) and paint streaks on the windows. On the plus side the bed was comfortable and there was also a cozy chair next to the king sized bed. We also had a somewhat archaic printer/fax machine on the desk. Strange!

Despite the fan we were tired enough to get a good night’s sleep and woke up the next morning ready for breakfast. The breakfast is served in a smallish room off the pool area, and you get it (Continental) for free if it is part of your package or you are an Elite Marriott member. However – it really bothered me that they charged me for two quick cups of coffee early in the morning when it was free with breakfast – and refused to remove the charge when challenged about it. Breakfast was good, functional, friendly and pretty quick.

Compared to other Kessler/Autograph locations (like Savannah Bohemian) this property didn’t make the grade and gets a bare two stars.

If you do stay here I’d recommend you make the trip round the back of the hotel and have dinner at Vito’s Chop House. Very expensive, but a true five star culinary experience.

My feeling is that Orlando offers plenty of choices and you can get better value and service for your money elsewhere. A disappointment. For a “castle” I felt rooked as it was hardly a bastion of luxury or a citadel of service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John C
David_Me184, General Manager at Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to review your previous stay. While I’m glad you were able to enjoy certain amenities, such as the terraces. I apologize for the issue you experienced and the areas that we did not live up to you expectations. We hope you’ll return as we strive to ensure each guest has a flawless stay.
Chester
Reviewed 28 January 2014

amazing reception, great staff, it all seemed perfect when we checked in at the last minute. We booked adjoining rooms for the 4 of us.

However after more than 2 weeks in a 1500 sq ft 2 bedroom suite we just felt too cramped and checked out the next day as early as we could.

If its just a hotel room your looking for, a small one at that, its ok. Sadly the amazing lobby is the end, we felt the rooms were dated, far too small ( around 350sq ft) and it was a bit of a let down.

The $15 parking charge is ludicrous when across the road is free...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Permanentholidays
David_Me184, General Manager at Castle Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the shortcomings you experienced. It is our goal to provide extraordinary product and services. Your feedback will allow us to improve our services and I hope you’ll return as we strive to ensure each guest has a flawless stay.