“Beautiful hotel, very dissapointing service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando International Drive I Drive 360
Ranked #104 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We were very pleased with the appearance of the hotel, our room and the breakfast. Unfortunately, some of front desk staff were quite cold and withholding, and seemed unable or unwilling to apologize when they gave us information that turned out to be obviously inaccurate. At several points, I also had to really push them to get them to take the most basic steps to make things right. When I complained about this at checkout, the two people I spoke with seemed really understanding and responsive. However, the manager who was supposed to make a follow-up call never did so, and the one I spoke with when I called back was rude. When I tried to call back later to discuss my experiences with the Embassy Suites, they politely promised to call me back, and then blew me off. It was really a shame - a little more willingness by Embassy Suite staff to go the extra few yards to make things right, apologize for their mistakes, and follow through with their promises, would have made a world of difference in the quality of our stay.

1  Thank SC918

Reviewed 1 May 2012

This embassy suites seems to have been opened for quite a long while; with that being said, the furniture, floors, and overall (in room) details seem like it needs to be updated. I must say that it was simple and clean and quite a good price and the customer service were excellent. Things that need to look at are the exposed rust on the door hinges and corners, as well as furniture. Again, if you’re looking for a reasonable place to stay, that is simple and clean, then this location is the trick. Also, this hotel is very flexible on Early check-in and late check out (just be extra nice and request kindly)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently renovated
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed at this property for an entire week in April and this was my first experience with the Embassy Suites brand. Let me start by saying there isn't anything terribly wrong with this hotel, but I do think that my expectations were too high.

I expected a first class hotel similar to a full service Marriott or Sheraton but with a few differences (included breakfast and evening cocktails, suites instead of guest rooms etc.). Well, while being there, I learned that the Embassy Suites brand doesn't play in the same league as those other brands, but really is a league below and competes with mid-tier brands like SpringHill Suites.

On arrival (Saturday before Easter at 8pm), no bellman on duty. Check-in took nearly 20 minutes because there was only one person handling the front desk. She unfortunately had to interrupt the check-in process multiple times because she also had to answer the phone. Then she had a little trouble finding my prepaid Expedia reservation.

The room itself couldn't be opened as the keys didn't work. After another hike to the front desk, I could finally enter my room nearly 30 minutes after the arrival at the hotel. The room I had (404) definitely needs a renovation as well as better soundproofing. The noise from the air conditioning unit on the ground floor is really not tolerable for those that have trouble sleeping (I couldn't hear traffic from I-4 just outside the room because the AC was way louder!). I didn't push the issue though and did not request another room as I can sleep everywhere. Some of the furnishings have recently been changed (new flat screen TV's) but the bathroom really needs a makeover. Maid service was OK but there was a bulb not working in the bathroom area that wasn't replaced during my entire stay (I left this light on every single morning so that the maid would see the glimmering and get someone from maintenance to fix it.)

While I do like the general layout of the hotel (atrium style), I do hate the fact that there are windows next to the room entrance overlooking the corridor and the atrium. This cheapens the entire hotel and gives every room a motel feeling. I hope the planned renovations change this layout. It would also help with the noise from the corridors.

As for the breakfast area, it was always crowded, no matter what time I got there. The cleaning staff were so effective that they always removed my drinks and newspapers while waiting in line at the buffet for my food. The food itself was OK but the only thing that sets it apart from a SpringHill Suites breakfast was the omelet chef (on the other hand it had no waffles and less fruit than SpringHill Suites properties). For the rest, what you would expect from a Continental breakfast but nothing to write home about and not in the same league as a Sheraton or Marriott buffet.

I only was at the hotel for sleeping and breakfast so cannot compare on other aspects. Location worked for me, on I-Drive and Sand Lake road, just next to I-4. In the evenings it can be a bit tough to reach the hotel if you come from the northern I-Drive.

I again have to say the hotel wasn't bad just not what I expected. Expect mid-tier and it will be OK.

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger yet often the same price as regular suites. Try to get a room facing I-Driv...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Muerz
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This was by far the worst Embassy Suites property we visited. First, they did not honor our room reservation, and one of us had to sleep on a fold-out cot in the sofa for most of the trip. None of the staff were helpful, a few were condescending, and a "manager" gave us misleading information. They did not even display basic courtesy whenever residents walked by the front desk. The property is very poor. The room we stayed in had sliding doors for the bathroom and no lock. In addition, the room smelled of mold. Staff members did not enforce the pool hours, so we were up most nights listening to kids screaming at 3 AM in the pool. Room service was extremely slow, and I had to call the front desk three times to get any information about what was going on with our request. The breakfast did not have as much variety as I saw in other Embassy Suites (Chicago had an excellent assortment every day). This was by far the worst hotel experience we had in all our travels around the U.S.. I am just so shocked that such poor service is present in such a wonderful city like Orlando. My suggestion is that you look into another property on International Drive. Do not waste your time/money coming here.

5  Thank XM2525
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Everything is just wrong about this property. If you check in and are an elite member, expect to have to wait 1-2 hrs to check into your room (check in time is 4pm). Don't bother asking to speak to another manager. When I checked in, the first manager seemed fairly uneducated. After waiting a couple of hrs for my room, I asked to speak to another manager. Evidently, in the late afternoon, this hotel operates without management. They said they have no managers on duty.

The AC barely works in the hotel, so be prepared to ask for a fan, or purchase one at the Walgreens next door. Which is good, as it'll help block out the loud noise from the atrium.

As mentioned the rooms are tired and dated. Paint will be cracked, somewhat dingy feeling (especially the bathroom). Toiletries may or may not be replaced daily. The rooms are wired funny. In the main room, the outlets are wired to the master light switch. You turn off the overhead light in the living room, turns out the outlets as well. This makes charging your laptop and other electronics on the main table/desk more of a challenge. Also, powering the fan you'll need will require some trickery.

Beds and pillows are extremely soft and will collapse under any weight. Horrible night sleep.

The good. The breakfast, isn't quite as good as other Embassy Suites, but serviceable. The elevators are fast, and the parking spots are large enough to accommodate SUVs. They also use the standard easy to use Hilton alarm clocks.

If you are a novice traveler/vacationer with somewhat lower expectations (you want a free hot breakfast with your room, and 2 room suite of any kind), this will probably work (cheap rates can be had online or advance payment). If you are a seasoned traveler, or business traveler, this is not the right hotel for you. A dump, but unfortunately how Embassy Suites are starting to downward trend to. I feel i'll start staying at DB Trees, Hamptons, or Garden Inns. No more Embassy Suites for me. I've never needed a fan at these hotels. Embassy, well, better bring one.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. If must stay here, bring/ask for a fan, be prepared to get into your room late, an...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TxRanger9
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My Family and I were relocated to this property and I must say, this property is amazing! The staff were knowledgable and friendly and it was centrally located. The breakfast in the morning was amazing as well. I've never been to a property that made you omletes as part of the buffett. The rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable even though we spent most of our days at the theme parks.

2  Thank Bumble_BeeX
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Was staying here as an alternative to a the Rosen Shingle Creek hotel which was booked for a Company Client Conference. Check-in was fast and the rooms were neat and clean. The nearby restaurants were great, especially the Sports Bar "Brick House". I did not have breakfast, but always remember Embassy Suites exceed the competition. Being a Hilton guy, this was a pleasant stay as I ususally stay at our type of Hilton properties.

Room Tip: Always choose high floor away from the elevator AND facing away from the major Highway that runs beh...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business