“Great Economy Hotel!”

Shah Alam, Malaysia
“Great Economy Hotel!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

-General Comments-
This is the best economy hotel I've stayed in so far. The carpet in the hallway was very dirty but I didn't really care because the cleanliness of the room was superb. My room door was almost broken. I had to insert my keys 4-5 times before it really opened.

-Free Shuttle to Universal and Disney-
The free shuttle to the Universal Studios only came at 11.30 am something. Since the hotel was only 20 minutes walk from the Universal, we decided to walk early in the morning to maximize the time that we had at the parks. However the hotel was pretty far from Disney. The last shuttle that left Disney to the hotel at night was at 10pm. Since we wanted to stay and see the fireworks and the night show, we had to take a cab to go back to the hotel. It would cost you approximately 50 bucks.

-WiFi, Breakfast, Nearby Shops & Restaurants-
The WiFi was free but only limited at the lobby area. There were lots of souvenir shops nearby. More than 10 I think. The complimentary breakfast was nothing much. Just bagels, toasts, and cereals. Well, it is just an economy hotel after all. But there were plenty of nearby restaurants that served breakfast buffet (for only about $5 per person). If you're a Muslim, this hotel was a perfect place for you because there is a halal restaurant nearby (3 minutes walk).

-Transportation to the Hotel-
The hotel is also right in front of the bus line. So from the airport, I took public bus and stopped right in front of the hotel. Although it was an hour ride, it only cost me $2. There was a shuttle, but that that would cost you $17-19 per person. If you choose to take taxi, it would cost you $45-50.

I booked through Hotels.com. It was really worth the money!

Room Tip: Most of the reviews I read before I went there recommended me to ask for room that's facing the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We like to hear from our valued clients to see how we can improve and appreciate all comments both good and bad. It is only with comments such as yours that we can continue to improve. Please come see us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Hebrew first
Houston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

ROOMS:
We arrived and checked in to find that they had given us the wrong room. I was staying with my husband for our anniversary and they gave us two small beds. I asked for them to change it to the room we paid for, and yes they did give me a card to the bigger room. However when we entered that room, we found out WHY they had not given it to us. Bugs everywhere. Possibly a mouse, but I didn't stick around to search that nasty room. We went back to the room with small beds. Both rooms had holes in the roof (luckily not on the top floor...). Also, the bathtub was rusty and had debris from I don't want to know in it.
PRINTING:
You have to pay to use internet in your room. That is something some hotels do, and it's more of a warning than a complaint for you if you want to stay here. BUT if you need to print something at the hotel, it is a MAJOR hassle. We paid to use the internet in our room, but apparently you can't use the internet in the lobby computers/printers without paying AGAIN to use the internet and the printer itself. Then you cannot download what you need to print from emails nor can you use a USB drive to get what you need to print. I had to ask a staff member to print it at their desk eventually. We wasted money on the internet/printer...
BREAKFAST:
The breakfast is pretty much bagels and donuts. We went to the buffets across the street for breakfast.
SOUNDPROOFING:
If you enjoy getting an undisturbed night's rest, forget it. Any noises in the hallway are magnified by the echo of the hall and then blast through your door as if there weren't a hunk of wood between you and the ruckus. I was woken up many times during my stay from people talking, carts squealing, doors slamming, etc.
SERVICE:
The service was fine, and there were staff members who I would give personal endorsements to, but unfortunately the overall stay here was very poor. Find another hotel, unless the things listed above do not bother you. We spent most of our time out of the hotel, and its location is within walking distance to Universal Studios! The shuttle comes once a day at noon, so we ended up walking to the parks and back to get more time for activities.

Room Tip: Rooms are very noisy. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda B
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
I would like to apologize for the situation you experienced during your recent stay at Metropolitan Express on International Dr.
I can certainly understand and appreciate your concerns.
We want all of our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is clean, in-place, of the highest quality, and in perfect working order. I am sorry that was not the case during your stay. You
can be confident that we have followed-up on all of your concerns with our Maintenance, Housekeeping and the upper management Staff so that others are not disappointed as you were.
I thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts and I apologize again for your situation. You are valued as our guest and your concerns are most welcomed.

Travellers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

On my first trip to Orlando I stayed in this hotel!
The room is good: large beds, great restroom with a good shower...
I liked the breakfast, with theirs breads, cakes and everything else...
But what is better than everything is the localization! It's near of all principal parks from Orlando: Wet'n Wild, Universal Resort, Disney...
Great!!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fagner C. A
Met_Management_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Floridian Express, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

this was our 2nd stay here in 3 years and would stay again, ideal location, we bought a lynx bus ticket for the fortnight from the visitor center by trolley stop 20 and used it to get everywhere, you can get a lynx 37 from the sheraton hotel with the cylinder above to universal or lynx 8 or 38 to seaworld stay at that stop and get a 50 to disney and lynx 42 from anywhere on i drive going north to the florida mall. we stayed in room 1314 at the metropolitan which is poolside across from the bar, we had fresh towels everyday they're not the best but did the job, the beds are really comfortable and we had a fridge and microwave they were a bit dated but clean, the t.v had limited channels but we didn't come here to watch t.v the breakfast was toast, cereals and coffee which was ideal before we set off for the day most hotels don't do anything and the breakfast lady was lovely. if you are a complainer pay a bit more and stay somewhere else this is a great budget hotel and as for boxes and rubbish being in the corridor this is guests dumping their packaging from goods they have bought from the outlets,but then again you can't please everyone.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 1314 and 1318 previously in my opinion any room on ground floor of this block are...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mandy6321
Thank you for your review of our Metropolitan Express! We do appreciate all reviews; especially our valued return clientele! With comments such as yours, our entire staff can feel confident they are accomplishing the goal of making the Metropolitan Express as special as we feel it is to our guests. Looking forward to seeing you again soon!!
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

This is our 2nd time staying here. I find a lot of negative reviews about this place but I think thats down to the means of your stay!
We use it simply to shower and sleep in and at about £30per night per room you cant go in expecting the ritz.
The hotel is currently having a refurb but have only done the lower ground rooms..we stayed on the first floor. Yes the rooms are dated but they are cleaned daily, beds made, fresh towels. You get a tv in your room (so its not flat screen and doesnt have 100 channels, im not in Orlando to watch tv!!) There are 2 double beds, bath and shower. .microwave and fridge.
Wifi can be found in the lobby or at the Tiki pool bar.
Convenient location for Universal Studios as only a short walk away. Wet n Wild is across the road. Several fantastic eateries with something for everyone. I-ride trolleys are ideal to get to Seaworld, Aquatica, malls..they run every 20mins and you can get different ticket deals from reception.
You can also book the shuttles for disney and busch gardens from reception.
The Tiki Bar staff were fantastic as ever. Rachel and her merry staff are good fun, extremely friendly and the measures are better than uk!! Like last year we spent a few good evenings with Jared, Emily, Lacey and co.
We are planning on going back again next year as theres always something new being built at the parks or you never get quite enough time to see everything. We will of course be going back to the Metropolitan Express. .as it has everything that we need..cheap, clean, basic. When we want to laze in our hotel room im sure we'll spend some extra money and go for something 5* but for now we're happy enough to just go and see everything Orlando has to offer..isnt that what its there for!?!?!

pool bar. fridge. Orlando to watch tv!!)

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Deblar-B
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it appears we have failed to meet your expectations. For our shortcomings, we sincerely apologize. With comments and feedback from our valued guests, we will work harder to improve and show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations. Hope you give us another opportunity soon!
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We used this hotel as part of a package deal with Slueths Mystery Dinner Show, and for the price it was a good bargain. Don't expect a whole lot. We got there around 11pm, after a day at Epcot, and were told the only room they had available was on the second floor and would that be okay? I liked that the staff asked this, and it was, but since there was no elevator and no one asked when I made the reservation if we needed a ground floor room due to limitations, as a designer, this surprised me. Also, the small lobby was filled with people sitting around. I found out why. There's no internet connection, land or wireless, in the rooms, so the folks sat around in the lobby for their web fix. We went down for the breakfast and since it was mainly carbs we went hunting for something else. Found an all you can eat buffet in the strip mall next door that was reasonably priced and the food was decent. The hotel is old and dated, which doesn't bother us, but we had old batteries in the tv remote so it was useless the first night, and the amount of channels available was sorely lacking. There were missing light bulbs in the lamps and a weak floor in the bathroom that I was a bit afraid would fall through. But, all of that being said...for the money, and the amount of time we spent in the room, it was worth the cheaper price. This is definitely not a hotel for anyone wanting to be pampered. The staff was always nice, informative, and on the ball. The lady at the bar was very nice and steered us to many different attractions. She was a dream to sit and gab with.

Room Tip: If you are limited in mobility, then you need to ask for a ground floor room as there is no elevator...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your feedback and it appears we have failed to meet your expectations. For our shortcomings, we sincerely apologize. With comments and feedback from our valued guests, we will work harder to improve and show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations. We have replaced the hallway carpets since your visit and will be posting photos online that show the improvements, we only regret we had not done it in time for your visit. Hope you give us another opportunity soon!
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The exterior and corridors of these premises are faling to bits. On our first night on a Saturday when going to the room there was bags of rubbish lying next to the bins. Absolutely disgusting.

The rooms are big and if this was the 1990's the rooms would have been good. It's very outdated, old style switches, dirty taps.

Staff at reception are okay and helpful except one female middle aged shoulder length black hair who would ignore you at the counter and would walk away when you would be approaching. Hotel management need to explain to this lady where her salary actually comes from.

NOTE for management. Don't bother with the automated reply. I won't be back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 1471joe
Thank you for your review of the Metropolitan Express. We appreciate the time you took to let us know your comments and we believe we have failed to meet your expectations. For failing you, we sincerely apologize. We appreciate comments and feedback from our valued guests, as it helps us work harder to improve and correct our failings. Hope you give us another opportunity soon to show we can meet and exceed all of your expectations!