“Tech/Media Deficiencies Persist; Serious Problems @ Pool; Still, Tho, A Quality Property In Orlando”

Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport
Ranked #33 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We visited a Year and a half ago, and they put us in a king-room that was close to where we stayed last time. Overall: The reason we returned was precisely because the Hyatt sits atop Orlando/MCO Airport. Hugely convenient! Sixty seconds and you are in the A/P. It's got two good restaurants, a rooftop pool (with bar and bar-menu service), and an excellent fitness center. No WiFI here in this room on the ninth floor. It's too far from the free MCO Airport WiFi. So my option was to pay for it. I realized then that it would have been nicer to have the same kind of room on one of the balcony rooms that overlooks the pool (which is on a piece of the roof of the sixth floor) or that overlooks the inside of the airport. We didn't call the person assigned t me as a Passport member. My mistake; the front desk was this nice guy who would have moved me if I asked. So moving on... I had movies DLed from PB on my hard-drive, so I figured we'd watch them on the laptop. This is a very insulated building and is very quiet! Kids were screaming in the atrium outside our door around 10:00 PM, but that's a clientele problem that the hotel also suffers with, like we did. Otherwise, a very good room. I got it free on my Hyatt Passport (from staying in the Hollywood and Mexico Hyatts). We got two drinks each (two Sam Adams and two bloody marys) at the pool: 42 bucks, and I added a couple more bucks, even though a 6 dollar tip already had been added. Expensive, but it's travel, right? We want to make the most of the non-business times, i.e., the evenings. What always surprises me at Hyatt is how they think they're catering to "business" travelers with expensive and archaic technology/media. For instance, our room had three landlines--two within reach of each other in the room and one in the WC, which always makes me think of the 1980s and yuppies. One would be needed for intra-hotel calls. Who, I wonder, doesn't use his/her cell primarily? Then they drop the paper version of the Wall Street Journal at the door in the morning, which is to say they think I want to read some day-old Rupert Murdoch ideology that I can access easy enough online, "IF" I had WiFi. I'll bet most of their business travelers don't use either the landlines or read the newspapers. Why not put the things we need in the rooms? How about a plug/outlet thing for our devices on the desk and get rid of the stationary--like I'm gonna write a card to someone??? Having access to a monitor and basic sound-system, which could be primarily for the shrinking pool of cable-viewing old folks and families, would allow those of us in the current tech/media ecology to be productive during our stay. Run-of-the-mill, i.e., your current and regular business visitors are going to be new-tech-connected business visitors (80% of their trade). They will have AV, HDMI, and VGA adaptors and cords. And they won't opt for the wired (i.e., obsolete) connection that is ten bucks a day (i.e., rip-off!) Probably only about 20% of their trade has pad-able travel expense accounts and pay 10 bucks a day for WiFi. I'm talking to you, Hyatt Central: We need WiFi in every room at every Hyatt because that's what we use for business. I'm out of touch, laptop-wise, when I stay at a Hyatt. All I have is my phone for a connection to my work. Here at Orlando, they need to insure that every room gets free MCO WiFi, and where it isn't available, take care of the problem, but not by charging some rooms when others get it free!!! A nice surprise was to see that the room's television monitor would easily accept an HDMI cord, so that was a plus. I mean, come on, I'm going to be honest here. I might want to UL or DL a movie from PB and then out-port it to the monitor to watch later. Generally, I'm not going to pay for content when I can get it for free, especially when Hyatt charges ten bucks per PPV. This next one is looking toward the future, but some hotels might want to think about culling back their cable choices. Again: ideology, People!!!! Don't be such an obvious tool of the right, Hyatt!!!! I don't need Fox Business Channel! Like I want to watch people who know less about the market than I do. And you can start seeing how many visitors actually want the rest of the angry-scream-athon channels that parade as news, fact-free opinions, and waste-of-time information. Help me here, Hyatt. Get me connected and dump the 1980s' business amenities. Help me get my work done when I stay with you, and to do that, you need to get on top of the tech problem you're getting swallowed by. Doubletrees all offer free WiFi, but they are not as nice as Hyatts. That's one thing I think about when I book hotels. HIltons are like you: still offering old-people business amenities. You've got style in your rooms and public spaces (not so much here, but generally speaking Hyatts are pretty upscale and stylish). Now why don't you put what we need in the rooms so that staying there offers us the same tech/media amenities as home? Otherwise, very comfortable king mattress, great linens on the bed, although the bath towels were a bit worn, and amenities were all as good as we would use at home: our standard for assessment. Their channel 5, I think it is, shows a marketing loop of Hyatt hotels and resorts, and there was something wrong with it all evening: it kept repeating every ten seconds. Now I know that Hyatt can do better because in the Cancun, Mexico, Hyatt there were three or so 20-minute loops, and the music was just right on them, so we actually watched them voluntarily to check out the visuals for some other Hyatt properties. Orlando lost a valuable opportunity to showcase other Hyatt properties to us last night. But technology, as in Mexico--where the WiFi needs to be free and strong since cell phone and data plan coverage costs US travelers extra--is not Hyatt's forte. They need to get the same tech emphasis that they are showing in their decor. One final note: the pool is in terrible shape: the liner is literally coming up throughout the whole pool (Hello, Property Manager! Get on this pronto! It's potentially dangerous for children!!!), the place out there needs a coat of paint and some renovations, too, and they play music from the 1980s, which, after seeing the 1980s' tech/media in the rooms, makes me wonder if someone with some ironic self-awareness was making a subtle joke. Another joke is how both restaurants, which are nice (except for having like zero vegetarian entrees!!!) subject diners to an unwanted survey by the hostess. Both restaurants need to seat diners immediately, not subject them to questions about my name and room number--I'm staying there; figure it out when I charge it to my room! This happened a year ago last January, when we stayed there before. The front desk guy pitched a reservation at the restaurant, which we could see was not packed, at check-in, when we were only interested in getting the bags into the room and planning out our next stage of the day. Hello! I'm staying here, it's the airport, you've got to be kidding if you think I'm going to go down and thru TSA to eat. Last year, on the next morning, we went to the ninth floor Hemisphere Restaurant, where the view is great and the buffet is quite good but overpriced, and before we were brought to a table, we were questioned, while the answers were written in pencil, for what I can only imagine is some corporate assessment: "Name? How do you spell that? Staying here? What room?" This inane surveying continues, and it is a total waste of my time and transparently the brainchild of some genius at what? Morgan-Stanley or whichever one of the other unaccountable big-bankster holding companies that, unfortunately, owns Hyatt??? Total waste of our time and a great way to alienate customers. One other thing: much of the clientele is fly-over state rubes who think flambe classes up a menu and doesn't worry if their ill-behaving-kids run around and do whatever they want. Orlando is a magnet for square-state families that eat American cheese on white bread. Many downtown hotels and ones near the Orlando resorts cater to these people, and so the bar is lowered all over the place: the best beer on the menu will be Sam Adams and Rodney Strong will be the best red. The wear and tear from the clientele will not be noticed by the self-same clientele, because "back home," they live porcinely. It's a shame that Hyatt doesn't try harder to be better than their competitors in this environment of lowered expectations. There's a video of our stay at my profile: Jeffhfromoxford; use the hotel name to search YouTube.

Room Tip: Ask if it gets strong MCO WiFi
1  Thank MyLifeInYur P
Write a ReviewReviews (4,303)

Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is a lovely hotel... everything you would expect from a Hyatt Regency along with a decent bar, a couple nice restaurants, and lovely service from everyone we talked to. Our biggest complaint was that it was a long walk to our room, which was about as far from the elevators as you could get. And it all just happens to be on top of an airport. We could actually see the TSA security line from our room! Talk about convenient. And yes, the pool is nice and totally usable. You do have to navigate an airport every time you drive somewhere, but I got used to it pretty fast. Our room had a window and balcony that overlooked the airport itself, so it was technically indoors, but got natural light from the big skylights above. We had our doubts about staying in the airport, but we were very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear Teak_NYC:

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport. We often hear enthusiastic feedback in regards to how convenient this location is for travelers. We're thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the swimming pool. We hope to welcome you back again as you pass through the airport. Thank you for your compliments.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Did not spend alot of time here. But we deffinetly spent enough time at this place to know it was an awesome hotel. Not noisy at all with the airplanes.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 20 July 2011

My wife had some friends flying into Orlando. So we flew from Atlanta into Tampa Airport (yes, Tampa because it was half the fare vs. Orlando International) and took a rental car to Orlando. I thought getting a decent hotel at a decent rate would be no problem in Orlando. Well that didn't work out that well. So I hopped to priceline and aimed for store near the amusement parks with a bid of about $48 ($50 or less is my favorite). That didn't work so I expanded the search to the Orlando airport area and raised the bid about $4. To my shock instead of LaQuinta, Comfort Inn or others in the area that I was familiar with, the Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport, took the bid. Should have been excited right? Well, no! I knew the hotel would be good. But unless you are actually flying into and out of that airport, then stay away.

Location: I love a bargain and the hotel was nice, upscale, clean and have a great view of the main travel lobby. However, it is a major pain getting into the airport. We arrived at night and literally rolled around the airport at least three times because of the poor signage for the hotel. You finally realize it was Terminal B parking. The signs lead you almost all the way to the top of the parking garage and then the signs kind of disappear again.

Again signage is the issue. You come into the terminal and walk about a good ten minutes and finally someone point you out of your confusion to the welcome desk for the hotel.

You may say why do I focus on this? Simple, getting a bargain is a good thing, but if you have to go to excessive amounts of hassle to take advantage of that bargain, then is it really a bargain? For me, getting a good price, zipping into a free parking lot ($17 for parking here), and finding a really nice hotel for a price that is noticeably less than expected, that is a bargain.

Again, no problems with the hotel, and if you are flying out of this airport then this is great. But if you just want a nice hotel in the Orlando area and are not flying out of the airport, then avoid it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I arrived at MCO late and had an early morning flight so I did not check out eveything. But the room was very nice, clean, comfy and very quite. I had a great few hour sleep before my flight.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Dear powerplantop:

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback from your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport. I'm glad the rooms were comfortable & most importantly quiet, during your recent visit with us. We hope you'll join us again for your next stop through Orlando. Your referral is our biggest compliment.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 16 July 2011

This place is right in the center of the Orlando airport so its perfect if you arrive late or have an early morning flight. I've stayed here before but this time it wasn't quite as restful. True, it is summer but there were many families staying here with children running up and down the halls until very late. The rooms are very nice and the restaurant is as well. Reasonable room pricing too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of a hall if you want to minimize noise
1  Thank Loves2TravelALOT_11
Reviewed 14 July 2011

First Class all the way! From the doorman greeting us, the young lady checking us in to the young lady bringing the extra towels and linen.My kids and loved the watching the planes taking off from the tropical setting of the roof top pool.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2011

Dear gelo7:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport. We're delighted to hear how much your family enjoyed their time with us. It sounds as thought your children had a great time watching the airplanes land & take off. We hope to welcome you back again! Your referral is our biggest compliment.

Safe Travels,