“Tired and disappointing”

Ranked #155 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
glasgow
“Tired and disappointing”
Reviewed 14 August 2008

We decided to go to Orlando this year as the dollar was so good for UK travellers and we booked a 2 -bed in the Royal Palms. As we've stayed in Marriott in Europe on a few occasions, we were looking forward to our trip. However, Marriott have really let themselves down in Orlando. This was probably great in the 70's but nothing's been done since then. The furnishings were tired, the technology old and the whole place felt like it needed a good spring clean. The "marketplace" had no fresh produce and was small and limited. The location was good but they didn't even offer a shuttle bus service to any of the parks. All in all very disappointing.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — tired and needed refurbished
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank jaybe184

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Kansas
Reviewed 22 June 2008

My husband and I along with our two boys stayed in a 2 BR 2 BA condo for four nights. WONDERFUL!! I will admit we stayed for a timeshare preview and we were very leary. The staff when we arrived were all very nice and they quickly checked is in and sent us on our way. We arrived at our complex which was at the very end of the property across from the highway. Not loud at all, in fact is was really peaceful. We had a view that overlooked the golf course and the pond, really a great spot. We walked into our room and our jaws hit the floor. It was so beautiful, tile on the floors and granite countertops, fab decor, huge master bedroom with a whirlpool tub that would probably fit all four of us, the bedding I wanted to bring home with us and the best thing off all was the cute little bottles of Bath and Body Works shampoo. If your are anything like me that shampoo made my whole stay. The kids room was smaller than ours but it had a queen bed and twin daybed which they took turns sleeping on. We slept and felt like we were at home. I think the unit was around 1300 sq ft. Not bad. We had access to the Marriott World Center pools and tose were big hits with the kids too. Finally our presentaion; it was not all that bad. It took about 180min instead of the 90 they tell you it will be but we did ask some questions. They wanted you to buy dont get me wrong and they pulled out all the stops but when we said "NO" they listened. We are not timeshare owners, it was not for us BUT if you are in the market I would check em' out.

• Liked — The Space
  • Disliked — The presentaion ( it was worth it though )
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Jensigg
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed 19 June 2008

My family of five plus two friends (one of our adult friends, one of our teenage daughters) spent 6 nights at the Royal Palms from May 30-June 5.

Like a lot of you, I had some concerns about the property given many of the older reviews. I almost changed our reservation to the Cypress Harbour, a newer Marriott resort near Sea World.

Since we spent all our time at WDW, let me say I'm glad I didn't. They told us all of the rooms had been renovated, and we saw no evidence this wasn't true. New bedding, paint, kitchen countertops, cabinets and appliances, beds, TVs, you get the picture. Aside from the fact we were assigned a room (4254) with a walk in handicapped shower instead of a shower/whirlpool tub, I couldn't have been more pleased. I would give more details, but the next review does this nicely.

Again, I was glad I didn't move the reservation because of the location. You are on the grounds of the Marriott World Center resort (wonderfully landscaped grounds, too, with a golf course and lakes and tons 'o tropical foliage). The monolithic Marriott highrise is surrounded by three Marriott Vacation Club Properties (Royal Palms and the 3 BR, 2 BA Imperial Palms are together, while the older 2 BR, 2 BA Sabal Palms is behind the main hotel) and adjacent to I-4. You go out the entrance of the Marriott World Center, make a right and you're on Epcot Center Drive, which takes you into the heart of WDW and swiftly to wherever you need to go. I always prefer to be on WDW property (we stayed at the Wildnerness Lodge in Dec. 2005, just wonderful), but as they say it was indeed the next best thing to being there.

There is no shuttle service from the MWC to WDW, so you must have your own car or take a cab. It can't be more than 15 minutes from the Royal Palms parking lot to the Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom parking lots, your farthest points on the Disney compass. And if you're heading up to Universal or Sea World the on-ramp to I-4 north is right there, too.

A tip on transport on the MWC property: You can use the enormous pool/slide at the main Marriott, but you have to wait for a shuttle van (too far a walk). If you take your car, you have to pay to park at the high-rise Marriott. Parking is free at Royal Palms.

One more word on our stay, especially if you are Marriott Rewards member. Through the end of the year, Marriott is offering Rewards members three nights at their Vacation Club resorts (of which Royal Palms is one) for the price of two nights. So I made two consecutive three-night reservations for $372 each. That's less than $800 for six nights at a 2 BR, 2 BA full kitchen property with its own washer/dryer.

If you bookend your reservations like this, make sure they know when you check in so they don't try to get you to do something silly like change rooms mid-stay. I did have to go to the front desk and pay after 3 nights, then there was a bit of a screw up with our bill at the end, but if you find yourself getting at all frustrated just remember what a great deal you're getting.

The Royal Palms has its own large free form pool (nothing as large as the Rhode Island-sized pool at the main Marriott, but big). There are activities each day on property for the kids, golf and tennis lessons, etc. I must say we didn't have time to take advantage of these, but it was nice to know they were there.

The ultimate test for most people is: would you recommend this property and would you stay there again. The answer to both questions is yes.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Didn't get a room with a whirlpool bath
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank srabalais
Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 June 2008

Ok, so we arrived at 5pm on check in day (Sunday) GPS had a little trouble finding the correct street, because of the remodel. If it tells you a street that has a closed up old gate, keep going and turn right onto World Drive, it's right there.

Gorgeous property, beautiful lobby/pool - even the pool bathroom was really nice! We had to hit that right away before even checking in - my daughter couldn't wait!

Now we did book this place on exchange w/our timeshare, so we did not go to the timeshare presentation they wanted us to have, but the offer was good. They said $100 disney money. Anyway...

The resort had elevators and luggage carts to take your stuff upstairs, which was GREAT! The resort was absolutely beautiful. I couldn't tell you a THING wrong with the place.

The kitchen had a frige, toaster, oven/stove, microhood, all that stuff. Had pots/pans/bowls, utensils, large spoons and stuff/TONS of storage space. Now our toaster did burn the crap out of everything we put in it but we called and within an hour they brought us a brand new one.

The kitchen counter had 3 stools and the dining table had 5 chairs. The living room had a couch and 3 chairs. The patio was screened and private.

The master bedroom had a sliding glass door like the one in the living room, and both rooms exited to the same patio. The master bed was not "Marriott soft" but the bedding was of Marriott Quality. Two sinks in the bathroom with a HUGE mirror. Jacuzzi tub was great but NOT round as photographed in earlier units. There was a big closet with a safe in it, a shower/toilet area within a separate door.

The second bedroom contained a queen or full size bed and a daybed, a bit small - but it worked. There were tvs in both bedrooms and of course the living room.

Also, your unit does come with a full size washer and dryer. The descriptions I saw said "on property" - but I found that we had our own.

That's really all there is to say except the staff was really great, no real complaints, and I have uploaded some photos but I've got many more to put up. I probably took 30-40 pics.

All in all, it was a great place to stay and I would DEFINITELY stay here again, and recommend it highly!

• Liked — Location - 2 miles from Disney!
  • Disliked — Bed was still harder than I like...but better than some others.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Sandy S
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 9 March 2008

We stayed at this property using Marriott Reward points with two children ages 1 and 3. We chose it based on the location to Disney and the kitchen a and 2 bedrooms and 2 baths.

As other reviewers have said, the villa looks great at first glance. Granite countertops, a nice sink, newer microwave and oven/stove really have a wow factor when you walk through the door. The beds look nice. After that, our floors were pretty dingy and we too had mold in our master shower area. Really not acceptable. Most of the unit was clean on arrival, however, the housekeeping went downhill every day. Most I could tell they did was take out trash, replace towels and run the dishwasher with the coffee maker in it. I do not agree with some reviews that the kitchen was fully stocked. There wasn't even a pizza cutter or a measuring cups in our unit. Lots of glasses, cups, plates, utensils, etc.

Our check in was great (around Noon on a Wednesday) and we had a pack and play delivered immediately upon check in. I asked for a high chair that was also immediately delivered. Very nice when you have a one year old with you. We also had a nice golf course view.

We did not use the pool or any other amenities so I can't comment. All in all our stay was fine, but I would not return.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Mold in shower area of master bath
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank TravlinTXFamily
massachusetts
Reviewed 6 March 2008

We stayed four nights at the Marriott Royal Palms in Orlando. The resort is on the property of the Marriott Convention Center and has full use of all of their facilities including the large outdoor pool and an indoor pool as well.The location is perfect for families driving to Disney World. It is on rt. 536 which is very close to Downtown Disney and will bring you right to all the parks without even getting on the major rt. 4. The resort itself is very clean. The pool is nice and we found it to be warmer than the large pool at the convention center. The two hot tubs were nice and hot and clean as well. I was a little worried that our room wouldn't be ready for hours when we went to check in around 3:30,because the gentleman checking in before me had a list of requests for his room. He wanted a first floor room as far away from the pool as possible. The woman at the desk politely told him his room would be ready around 5:30. When I checked in I didn't request anything specific and was immediately given a very nice room on the second floor. Maybe a total of 10 steps up, not a problem at all. The pool area is quiet , most of the kids want to go to the big pool because it has a water slide. The units have all been recently renovated with granite countertops. It looks nice but on closer inspection the cabinets are really cheap laminate and no flat screen TVs. Not sure if I would be willing to pay top dollar to stay here but I was happy to attend Marriott's 90 minute timeshare tour to stay here 4 nights for $199.

• Liked — proximity to Disney World
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank mariaw888
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 19 January 2008

Just returned from a one week stay at the Royal Palms. We were on a mini- family reunion and booked 4 villas with mixed reviews.

On the plus side, the location is fantastic. Very close to disney, sea world and outlet shopping. The units are large and have been "renovated" (more on the renovations later). The beds were comfortable. The men in our group enjoyed the golf course and the facilities at the World Centre are nice ( you had to call for a shuttle bus to get there because they do charge for parking even it you are a guest at the villas).

Now for the negatives. I have to say that the hotel did not set a good first impression because although checkin time is 4pm, half of our rooms were not ready until 5pm and the other half not until almost 6:30. We were travelling with 5 young children aged 4, 3, 2, 1 and 6 months and had nowhere to let them rest. When we inquired at the front desk, they were unable to even give us an approximation of when the rooms would be ready, citing "it's different every day" and refused to even try to find out. We could not understand how difficult it would be to call housekeeping to get this information.

As far as the renovations go, on first glance the rooms looked quite nice. The kitchens appeared to be recently painted and countertops and blacksplash may have been upgrade. Upon closer inspection, there were many problems. In three of the four villas the outdated dishwashers leaked in leaving a puddle of water in the middle of the kitchen, one of the refrigerators leaked. Throughout the villas things were not completed (eg: electrical outlets loose or not working). Not a huge deal, but the inattention to details was obvious. Again not a big deal, but the clock radio was like the one my parents used in the early 70s! After the expense of going through a "renovation" to modernize the place, they did not even bother to change the clock radios. I am aware that I am nit-picking but these details just affected my overall impression of the resort. Outside of maybe the kitchen countertop, the rest of the renovation did not feel very luxurious.

The other issue I had was the cleanliness of the units. The carpets were obviously seldomly vacuumed. Our first day there the kids' feet were black after running around the carpet for an hour. The most bothersome was the brown and black mildew all along the bottom of the shower curtains in the bathrooms. When we mentioned it to housekeeping, they tried to clean it with a bar of soap, initially denying my request to have the curtain replaced. After some insistence they did eventually replace it. However, in my sister's room she decided to avoid this bathtub but made no mention of it to housekeeping. After a whole week, the mildew was still there. It just seems that the staff do not pay attention to details.

We go to Orlando once or twice a year and would most likely not return. We stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club on I-Drive last year and loved it, beautiful units and a much more luxurious feel. We chose Royal Palms this year because of the ability to use World Centre facilities and the advertised "complete renovation". In the end we still had a great time on our vacation, but would not return to Royal Palms.

• Liked — location