“Broken Locks, Sewer Gas, Closed Pool, Broken Movies... etc...”

Wyndham Orlando Resort International Drive
Ranked #210 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Dania Beach, Florida
“Broken Locks, Sewer Gas, Closed Pool, Broken Movies... etc...”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

First let me say that we have a Wyndham Rewards Membership and are usually huge fans of the brand. Then there was this place…

While this is a very nice-looking property, we encountered several issues which were really just not cool. First, the deadbolt on our room door would malfunction and lock us IN the room. It took us nearly 30 minutes to get out of our room - and that was still faster than maintenance who never did even show up after we called. Second, in-room movies did not work. That is something we were looking forward to - watching movies after wearing ourselves out at Universal. No such luck. Also, our in-room coffee maker did not work (they did bring us another).

Here’s where things went from bad to worse. The entire property is under construction, so guests had to share a single lane (no matter which direction you were going in). The road was blocked off by green mesh fencing which does not even allow you to see if another car is coming – resulting in a few near head-on collisions while we were there. The construction folk must have been working on the sewers, because several times throughout our stay our room would fill up with the foul smell of sewer gas. Not pleasant. And if we weren't grossed out enough, on two of the nights I was greeted by a lone roach chillin’ in the bathtub. Yuck. Also due to the construction, guests had to park on the grass like it was some kind of music festival instead of resort.

Hold on, it gets worse...

Finally – the last day of our stay came (the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend). We had been to the parks on the other days and this was our day to lounge by the pool, since even though it would be crowded, the property has 2 pools which would keep it nice and comfortable. Ah, er, NO, one pool was closed so they could pressure wash the building next to it. On Memorial Day Weekend - with now only a single pool jam packed with people - they chose to clean up for a photo shoot the next day according to the manager. There were no umbrellas left (no towels either) at the one open pool, so we could not stay. Are you kidding me? So their photo shoot is more important than taking care of their existing guests. Got it. This place has a lot to fix before we’d ever consider going there again.

Room Tip: get something away from the sewer gas.
2 Thank Sandbartender
WyndhamOrlandoIDrive, General Manager at Wyndham Orlando Resort International Drive, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Sandbartender,

I’d like to offer our sincerest apologies for a disappointing stay. The comfort and safety of our guests is our highest priority, and any lapses in service or room quality are uncharacteristic and unacceptable. We understand that you came to Orlando for a relaxing getaway, and we are sorry that your experience was so far removed from the quality you’ve come to expect from Wyndham.

Thank you for noting the safety concern with the construction area. We take our guests’ safety very seriously and have since put up lower fencing to rectify this issue.

Please know that we are fully committed to making things right. I invite you to reach out at your convenience at 407-351-2420, so I can follow up, better understand your experience, and begin to address your concerns.

Rich Larkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The lobby was a little difficult to find. The line to check in was incredibly long. (Appx. 15 people.) It was the Memorial Day weekend though and very large property. Also, no one explained that the even numbered rooms were on the bottom floor of the 2-story building and the odd numbered rooms were on the second floor. So that also was confusing. I was worried about what the room would be like, but we were happy with the cleanliness and spaciousness of the room. The bed was comfortable. The pool was very nice. We didn't have our children with us, but noted the ice cream/candy shop by the pool. Even a wading pool. Parking was difficult later in the evening. Great restaurants within walking distance though! We walked so we didn't lose our parking spot.

Dear sean3566,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your review of your recent stay. We’re so pleased to have welcomed you to Orlando over the long holiday weekend. It sounds like you enjoyed plenty of rest and relaxation, both in your room and in the sun poolside. I apologize for the challenges in regards to parking and navigating the hotel. We will be reconsidering our processes to make sure we’re doing everything possible to assist our guests.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon, perhaps for a family getaway? Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to be of service.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We got a great deal for this hotel $69/night and wished we had stayed longer than one night. Rooms were updated and clean. Beautiful decor. Located on I-drive so you can walk, take the bus or cabs for cheap. So many restaurants in walking distance. Definitely will stay here again!

Room Tip: Bldg 8 is close to the pool and lobby
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear liecel,

It sounds like you had a wonderful stay here at the Wyndham Orlando Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Whether for one night or ten, you’re sure to discover even more to love about our resort and the surrounding area. Thanks for sharing!

College Station, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I went on a business trip and stayed for 2 weeks you can tell that it is an older hotel did they have recently renovated. I personally did not have any issues with my room or my stay but I do know of two coworkers that had issues. I was not a fan of the staff either they didn't seem to all be on the same page. I think the best way to describe it is some of it is nice and some of it is not nice on average I think that it is just an average hotel that can be hit or miss. If I had to go on my own without my family and I do not think I would be staying there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Justin9a7,

Thanks for taking a moment to share your thoughts. We’re delighted you could spend two weeks with us for your recent business trip, but we regret that we couldn’t exceed your expectations. Though your stay was largely problem-free, I encourage your coworkers to get in touch so we can better understand their experiences.

We would love to turn “average” into “exceptional,” and I am confident our staff will make a more positive impression in the future. I hope you’ll think of Wyndham next time you’re in the Orlando area.

Wisbech
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel is really lovely great big rooms and comfy beds. The location is brilliant for all the parks but at the end of a busy day it's quiet enough at the hotel to relax. The pools are open 24 hours and there is a fab hot tub which is fun to use at night.
I went for breakfast every day which was $17 for a buffet. It was so tasty and they had English breakfast tea a big bonus for me. The staff at breakfast were all fantastic and could not do enough for you.
For evening meal we went to the pool bar which was good food and not really expensive.
I will be staying in this hotel again in the future. Thanks so much Wyndham.

Dear EmilyDWisbech,

Thanks for sharing such kind words about your recent stay. It’s always inspiring to hear from a first-time guest who had a memorable experience. We hope to build on your positive experience and raise the bar even higher with a return stay. In addition to a cup of English breakfast tea and a sunny poolside seat, please don’t hesitate to let us know if there’s anything else we can do or provide.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Your money is better spent somewhere else. Was looking forward to a relaxing weekend without the kids (meaning a good nights sleep!) at a nice resort with a large room and nice pool.

First, it was hard to even find the lobby. Signage is poor. There was no valet or doorman to greet us. In fact, it wasn't until I actually reached the front desk (which is hidden behind a large column) that someone even said hello.

Our room had been redone, but there was already a hole in the carpet from wear. The new "chair" in the room was not anything that you could actually sit in as it was reclined (stationary) and had a cushion that slid when you sat in it, making it even more unbearable. The bathroom was so small, you had to do a little dance to shut the door so that you could sit on the toilet. You couldn't actually sit on the toilet with the door open, unless you sat sideways. Slapping some paint on the walls and adding a new bed and "modern" furniture doesn't change the fact that the buildings are very old and dated.

The a/c unit in the room was so loud, it woke me several times. The light on the porch was so bright that even with the blackout curtains, the room was still very well lit, even in the dead of night. The renovations are ongoing, but no notices given about pool closures upon check in. Just letting me know ahead of time would have taken away the frustration when trying to go sit by the pool.

The pool chairs, while they looked nice, were so hot, it made it difficult to sit on. I had to use several towels to cover them so as to not burn myself. But even getting towels was difficult as the towel cart was almost always empty.

Room service was very slow (over an hour for new coffee to be brought to the room for the next morning.) The hot tub had horrible black mold growing on it, at least on the places that it hadn't fallen out.

I know it needed to be renovated, but it had overall poor upkeep in the first place. A renovation isn't going to fix those problems, but rather just look nice until another renovation is needed in a few years due to lack of maintenance.

To be fair, there were some positives, like the bed was very comfortable. But, when I'm paying to stay in a resort, I'm expecting far more than just a comfortable bed.

I suppose at least now I know for next time. While I'm not looking for a free room, I would feel better about staying at a Wyndham property in the future if someone actually contacted me as follow up. But I suppose that isn't going to happen since they don't even manage their own website or comments. (When I asked about a survey in regards to our stay, I was directed to this website. In a way, that told me that the management doesn't care enough to try and right a situation before I post it all over the internet.)

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
2 Thank Rebecca K
Dear Rebecca K,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor. While I regret that our resort’s response has been less than ideal, I hope we can now begin to address these issues and make things right.

In regards to the confusion surrounding your arrival and check-in, we are currently in the process of improving our interior and exterior signage to ensure convenience and ease for our guests. In the future, you can expect more prompt, more welcoming service as well.

I have made notes of the various issues encountered in your room and will have our maintenance staff look into making the necessary changes. Our primary goal is to provide a comfortable environment where you can relax, and your feedback will help us do exactly that.

I am sorry to see you feel we may not care, however I do read and actively reply to all comments posted on TripAdvisor and will reach out to you to discuss the issues you experienced. Thank you again for your feedback.