“Awesome rooms (North tower) and great service”

Orlando Metropolitan Resort
Ranked #322 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 17 August 2005

We just returned from our one week honeymoon at Radisson Barcelo in Orlando. The hotel was extremely nice and conveniently close to theme parks and many great restaurants.

Hotel’s website offered a great rate (which was an excellent value) and we booked our room online with ease. Upon arrival, our room was upgraded to the north tower for a little extra. Rooms were luxurious and the sleep number bed was heavenly! We even received a complimentary plate of chocolate covered strawberries!

Staff was extremely helpful, friendly and our clogged up showerhead was replaced immediately. My wife and I had a wonderful time and would certainly consider staying at Radisson Barcelo again.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank PaymonVancouver_BC
Write a ReviewReviews (1,625)

Dallas
Reviewed 14 July 2005

Very old...
Ice machine broken
People partying in the courtyard until 2:00am
Laundry carts up and down the nosiy hall until midnight
paper thin walls...
I was glad to leave...

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego
Reviewed 12 July 2005

What I really liked about this hotel is the large rooms. I am tired of staying in $200 plus rooms in top hotels that think a closet will do for a room. Our family of four stayed in one room with two queen beds and had plenty of room. It was larger the the Hyatt we stayed in downtown Miami just the day before.

The rooms were very clean and luxurious. The room rates included breakfast for 4 @ under $100. Since the buffet was worth $40 alone, this was a very good deal.

This is a very nice hotel. I doubt anyone would find an issue with this great hotel. Oh... just one small minus, the carpet in our room had some stains that they could not take out and my take on it is that they need to replace that carpet.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glasgow
Reviewed 11 July 2005

This is one of the best hotels i have ever stayed in!

Went in Oct 04 for 3 weeks for our honeymoon - and loved it. We were upgraded to the Delux side of the property (even though we had only paid £26 per night), the staff were fantastic, our room was huge (1st floor at the end) had a superking, 2 tvs, table/chairs, sitting area, large bathroom.

Pool was pretty big considering the location - we looked at other hotels while we were there and our pool was much bigger than most. All very clean, lovely outside bar, pool open till late, nice gardens, easy to find parking space.

The location was great, right in the middle of I-drive but no noise as most of the hotels are set back from the road, easy to walk to local restaurants etc.

The hotel is obvioulsy used a lot for business travelers and conventions but while we were there there was a big jewellery exhibition on and the hotel was never crowded and parking was still easy.

Only ate at the restaurant once but it was lovely (and the small snack bar/starbucks in the lobby was great for little snaks).

All in all when i go back to Orlando i will def stay here.

• Stayed: October 2004
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Glasgow
Reviewed 7 July 2005

We checked into the Radisson, (which is not a Radisson hotel but merely a chain that has bought the name on a franchise) on the 20th of June 2005 and checked out on the 21st.

We where put on the 4th floor over looking the pool, in a Standard room. and as previous reviews the room was clean, tidy and speacious enough for us, there was 2 adults and 1 child in our party. Plenty of clothes space, fridge etc.

We did see a Delux room but couldn't upgrade until the second week of our stay, but the only real difference in the rooms where; it was slightly bigger, a bit brighter as you have a proper window, a microwave and the a/c wasn't as noisy, (tip for the a/c in the standard rooms, regulate the temp and it doesn't make as much noise).

We had breakfast in our room, which was a little bit expensive, but very nice and on a par cost wise with the hotel we moved to.

We moved because we were looking for a more family atmosphere for the time that your not at the parks, and on this occassion it was evident that this hotel is mainly for the business user or american sports teams/schools that are using the YMCA.

The pool bar wasn't opened and when we asked at the front desk they were a bit surprised that it wasn't, but told us to speak to someone in the main resturant as they run it on a franchise, (are you getting the picture) who informed us that it was closed due to the bad weather, the pool bar at the place where we moved to, Holiday Inn further along, was never shut, you where asked to come out of the pool when the thunder storms came along, but the bar was never closed due to bad weather and kept it's hours like clock work, you also had a BBQ on a sat night which was pretty good.

the front desk personnel were first class and most helpful, in our short stay.

Location wise it's not bad, but the further north you go the better.

I didn't use the I-Ride but saw plenty of people waiting for them, and they always seem to be full or nearly full.

Driving on the I-Drive between Universal Blv & Sandford road is as bad as any city centre at the rush times.

Getting to and from the parks by car was easy and straight forward. Excellent parking at Universal.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 June 2005

We stayed here between the 9th and 24th June and were a bit concerned prior to checking in because of the negative reviews on this site. We had a standard room on the fourth floor, and although we weren't offered an upgrade during check-in we were relieved to find the room was spacious and clean. We found that the external walk-way also doubled up as our 'balcony' and with dragging the comfy chairs outside spent many a night admiring the thunder storms! Out of curiosity I asked to look at a Deluxe room and although the general decoration and furnishings were better the size of room was similar and in my opinion not worth $25 a night more. The way I see it is that people come here because they see the relatively cheap prices and at the end of the day you get what you pay for. To me this was more than fulfilled. The bad reviews tend to be expressed by the Yanks who generally expect more than us Brits anyway. Those booked in Standard rooms, I suggest, should inspect them before jumping into upgrades. All in all we found this hotel excellent and a great location on I-drive.

15  Thank PhilRobins
Reviewed 25 June 2005

We stayed at this hotel on the 4th June for 14 nights and had read both good and bad reviews from a number of websites. This hotel is advertised as a 4 star with some companies but I would say it's closer to a 3 star, maybe a 3 and a half at the most! But in saying that, you spend very little time in your room anyway so it was more than adequate and the hotel is in a brilliant location which was an important thing.

- Rooms

We were in one of the standard rooms, which are large and spacious with 2 double (possibly queen sized) beds and had a fridge which was a big plus. Bathroom was a good size and had a bath and shower. Didn't get to see what the deluxe rooms were like but I was happy with what we had. Rooms were cleaned every day. You can't open any windows but the air conditioning was fine, although it could do with being a little less loud! We didn't use the telephone in the room as we thought it would be expensive but if you use the phones in the lobby, for 50 cents it gives you 5 mins worth of chat back to the UK which is brilliant.

- Staff & Service

We arrived (after a 7 and a half hour delay) at around about 1am to the hotel and the guy who checked us in was less than welcoming. I was not impressed with his bluntness to say the least. He also failed to inform us of the 24 hour supermarkets when we asked him if there was anywhere we could go buy some food :-( Throughout the 2 weeks I figured out who the helpful members of staff were including the bellboys. We asked a woman at Guest Services about excursions but she went for the hard sell and I got a bit annoyed with her pushiness so we didn't hang about there for long.

- Transportation

The hotel offers a free shuttle to Universal and Seaworld but they have limited times where they could pick you up and drop you off. You can get the shuttle to Disney at $15 per person return and again there were only a few pick up and drop off times which may not suit everyone. The I-Ride which takes you up and down I-Drive is handy and inexpensive but it can get really busy which means taking ages to get to where you want to go.

- Restaurant/Dining

We only had breakfast at the hotel's restaurant a few times which was decent but a little overpriced as I expected. We didn't fancy the lunch or dinner menu. There are plenty of good restaurants within a 10-20 min wander including TGI Friday, Friendly's, Denny's and Ponderosa who do breakfast buffets for $3.99 per person - fab! We were very impressed with a restaurant called Race Rock and there are also a few Chinese, Japanese and seafood places.

- Other info

The pool at the hotel was quite small and it also has a snack bar there which only opened at a certain time. Gym facilities are used at the YMCA across the road free of charge and the hotel also has a tennis court. Internet access is available at the 'Business Centre' which is basically a room with one computer! They charge $5 for half an hour. Laundry can be done in allocated coin operated areas, it is $2 for a wash and another $2 for drying and you can buy cartons of washing powder/softener for $1.25.

Overall, we had a wicked time in Florida and the hotel was a suitable place to stay. I have stayed at the Best Western Movieland previously which I would say is of a similar standard but the standard rooms don't have fridges. Don't expect the Radisson Barcelo to be an upmarket modern hotel like the Radisson hotels we have in the UK, the reception area is very nice but other areas including the rooms need some upgrading. I would recommend the hotel because of the location, good sized bedrooms and it was good value for the money we paid.

14  Thank my_holiday_blues