“What a disappointment!!”

Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel
Ranked #91 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This hotel was a large disappointment and does not meet Marriott standards at all.
The staff at the front desk were rude and unaccomondating. We had a elderly family member with us that we requested her room be near us or at least on the same floor as us and we were told that was not possible because the rooms were assigned and could not be changed. It was explained that we had made the request in writing to which the clerk replied "No you did not." She was ignorant and ignored the written verification copy that I presented to her.
Upon arrival in the room there were pills on the floor next to the bed. Obviously the room was not cleaned very well. No ice bucket and the ice machine on the floor that we were on was out of order and remained out of order the three days we were there.
The shower water was COLD and never got warm. The wash clothes and towel in our room had holes in them----what a disgrace. The blow dryer needs to be replaced as the fan was working at a low capacity and could hardly dry our hair.
We requested a sewing kit and were told that one would be bought up to our room. NO KIT< NO CALL just ignore the request and it will go away. Called again and was told that the hotel did not have any. UNBELIEVEABLE> I have never heard of a hotel not havig a needle and thread. Finally a assistant manager bought a kit that was old and dirty. What an embarrassment for the Renaissance----I think if I was the Renaissance I would have gone to the 7-11 and bought one before I gave this one to anyone.
In the am we asked for a 1 pm check out. The front desk person stated that there were no late check outs. My family member that was separated from us was just told by the next clerk over that she could have a late check out. Our clerk was so nasty and would do anything just be negative said "they should not have done that but I will let you have to 12:30 pm."
We ate dinner in the dining room on a Friday night and waited over one hour for our meal. We asked the waitress about our dinner, she went to find out and states that it will be another 10-15 minutes. No offer to get us something while we waited. When the food arrived half of it was cold and the rest was overcooked.
A nightmare of a stay,,,,,never again!

Room Tip: Another hotel in the area. Not here!
2  Thank Rater521
Jim B, General Manager at Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. Extremely disappointing for our team to see that your hotel stay with us fell below expectations. This is definitely a non-typical experience at our Renaissance and do hope you'll accept our sincere apology for this less than satisfactory stay at our hotel. I certainly would like to have a second opportunity to make things right with you and get a little more data (if you are willing to share) of your stay dates and room number to allow us to dig deeper to the root of the reported issues. You may reach out to me personally at jberkley@jhmhotels.com if you are willing to allow us to research your concerns. Again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim Berkley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,121)

Reviewed 12 April 2013

I took a gamble on a website where you choose a star level and a dollar range... and found out this was our hotel after paying for the booking. I had never heard of it before, but other TA reviews were favorable, and traveler photos looked great. Wow, we were ever blown away with this place!

First, I called about a week out to advise we'd be arriving well before check out, and could we come anyway to enjoy the pool and amenities... I was told absolutely, no problem whatsoever. Second, I called again when we were at MCO, and was told a shuttle would be there in 15 minutes or so, and was given very specific directions to the pick up location--which I greatly appreciated after a mishap with communication with another shuttle company previously.

Our shuttle driver, Andre, was someone I won't soon forget. I will preface this by saying I'm from the midwest... He had to be the nicest New Yorker I've ever met. :) With all due respect, he was a transplant but he was so friendly and offered all sorts of helpful tips about the area. If he asked a question it was because he wanted to hear what we had to say and he remembered it too. It didn't just feel like idle 'fill the silence' chit-chat as some drivers feel the need to do. I loved that guy! We were fortunate enough to have him on our return trip to the airport too.

The hotel itself had a beautifully stunning lobby with comfortable chairs and a waterfall. There was also a large container of ice water with cut up citrus fruits inside. It was SO good that I filled my water bottle with it several times. I should also mention we were given a bottle of cold water on the shuttle too from our guy Andre. A very nice, unexpected touch.

Our room was on the fifth floor at the end. We had a cool view of the city if you looked out (and not down at the roof below) as well as the airport in the distance. I enjoyed watching planes several times but it was never noisy. Our bathroom was very large complete with Aveda products. We had an inroom mini-fridge and coffeemaker as well as a big flat screen tv and two very comfortable beds. If I had a complaint about the room, it's that the curtains are essentially sheers, so had we been able to sleep past 5am (we couldn't, we had to catch our flight) I can't imagine it stays dark in the room once the sun starts coming up. Overall we were extremely please with the room and cleanliness. A heads up--the bottom of the tub is very slippery once the shower is running. My mother and I both almost fell once getting into the shower. I assume that's why there is a handrail there now.

Perhaps the best part of the hotel is the pool and cabanas!!! I spent all afternoon napping in the shade poolside. My mom chose a lounger in the sun. The pool was big, not too cold and not overly busy so it was very relaxing. I have posted a picture of the heavenly cabanas. Pool towels were plentiful on deck as well. There was also a whirlpool that I didn't use, and a gym that had fairly new equipment (ellipticals, treadmills, bike, weights, etc. and tvs). I noticed both the whirlpool and pool had lifts for those in wheelchairs, and they actually worked because someone used them both. Nice! There was also a small area with sundries for sale, and free newspapers.

I should also note that we threw our shirts on over our bathing suits and went to the 'cafe' counter to order lunch to take back out to the cabana. We had turkey wraps and unsweet (sweet was an option!) tea. The wraps were huge, fresh and good. We could have split one easily. The young lady at that counter was also very friendly and talkative. Everyone at the hotel seemed eager to help and very friendly.

Finally, we were less than 2 miles from the airport which made this a great location for us with an early morning flight out (after a four day cruise ended). We could walk to TGIFridays for dinner, so we did, and we also saw a Bonefish Grill, Sonny's BBQ, Lonestar Steakhouse, Tony Roma's and Denny's were all within the same walking distance. Bonefish had a wait that was too long for us. If we're ever in need of an airport hotel, I will gladly stay here and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We liked the upper floors so we could see the airport!
1  Thank MGoBlueGrad
Jim B, General Manager at Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

The entire Renaissance team thanks you for the delightful trip report you have shared with everyone. It's wonderful to see that you enjoyed the hotel's offerings and we are so grateful for the details you write of about the many enjoyable experiences at our hotel. Thanks for recognizing our staff and for the nice mention of Andre who truly is one of our best!! I've shared a copy of this trip review with our whole staff. They will be so happy to see this! Thank you.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I work in a hotel, which makes me a very tough critic! From the moment I arrived at the Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel I was very impressed by the bright and fresh lobby. I loved the clean, sleek decor and the waterfall "wall" is gorgeous. Front desk staff was polite and attentive. We had a slight challenge with getting our prefered room type but the Front Office Manager handled it with complete class and professionalism, even offering to come help us move all of our stuff personally. What service, and come to find out it was only his second week on the job!!! The room was clean and well appointed with a mini-fridge and plenty of work space and play space for our two young boys! We enjoyed the extensive breakfast buffet each morning and had TOP-Notch service from David. Every time we needed something he was right there with a friendly, I can Do attitude- what a tremendous asset he is to your staff. Thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: If you have young kids who enjoy watching planes take off and land ask for a room facing the airport...
1  Thank Angela M
Jim B, General Manager at Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thanks so much for the wonderful trip experience you posted about your recent stay with us here at Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel. The positive comments about our staff including Charlie at our front desk and David in our restaurant were such a pleasure to read and we appreciate the positive observations. I've shared your comments with them both and the entire hotel staff. We look forward to you returning again soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had a 3 day conference there the service was good. Lots of spacious conference rooms. Friendly staff. Fridge and tea in room for your continence. 24 hr shuttle to and from airport. Bus stop to Florida mall is right outside of hotel so no need to hassle and fuss about taxi and extra cost.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ECYRIL
Jim B, General Manager at Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review about your recent stay with us at Renaissance Orlando Airport. We are delighted our staff and hotel facility provided a memorable guest and meeting experience for you and we appreciate the positive comments. Our entire hotel service team enjoys seeing these type of reviews and I've shared your comments with our whole staff.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

The front counter staff was great. Seemed like they actually enjoyed there job. The room and the overall property was spotless. I had a fantastic night there. I was quite concerned that being so close to the airport it would be very loud but it was absolutely heavenly. As was the bed! I had not slept that well in quite some time and it felt great to be that refreshed in the morning after yet another hotel stay.The pool area and hottub were wonderful and the loungers were very decadent. I would most definately stay again and recommend to anyone travelling through or to MCO.
Complimentary parking as well as internet was appreciated as well.
Thank you very much to the staff and management for a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Shari-BBC

Your outstanding review of our hotel and our friendly staff was such a pleasure to see. We are delighted that our hotel exceeded your expectations and our guest service staff thrive on hearing feedback about our guest's experiences while staying with us. Thanks for highlighting our many offerings and your strong recommendation. I will share this with everyone and we truly look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 5 April 2013

We absolutely LOVED the airport Renaissance! As soon as you walk in you get the feeling that "I'm on vacation." The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are fabulous!!! The bathrooms are clean (super important) and the beds are comfy with lush white comforters. We had about 22 rooms booked for our wedding and everyone remarked that this was a great choice. It is right next to the airport so our guests simply jumped on the shuttle to/from the hotel. The workers are very helpful- from getting ice, a cake knife, lots of extra towels- pretty much whatever we wanted. Since we were a big group they also gave us a great rate AND helped us get the same rate for ourselves at a different marriott hotel. Overall this is an exceptional hotel! I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ShakebaS
Jim B, General Manager at Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful experience recap of your wedding group stay with us. We always look forward to seeing our guests happy and especially on such special occassions as weddings. Your positive feedback about our large guestrooms, top notch cleanliness and great lobby is awesome. Our Renaissance team works hard at providing exceptional hospitality and everyone will be delighted to learn that they did just that. Thank you for recognizing my team's efforts and thanks again for the great review.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

I would like to say "thanks" to Ann Marie for her great customer service once I arrived at the hotel. Her inviting smile made everything great after a long road trip. Although Ann Marie checked me in, Jim Berkley also provided extra customer service and provided valuable information for things to do near the hotel. I will definelty stay at the hotel again and again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank KerryP546

We were delighted to read of your nice experience at our hotel. We were even more delighted to learn that a member of our team, Ann Marie, helped to make an exceptional arrival experience for you. Thank you for recognizing her efforts and we hope to have you back again on a future trip to Orlando.