“It was like a little tropical village”

Doubletree by Hilton Orlando at SeaWorld
Ranked #123 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
columbus
“It was like a little tropical village”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

We were attending a church convention and needed a room for a couple of nights. The room was very large, clean and comfortable. We had to explore the grounds with the kids to see all of the beautiful landscaping (palm trees and flowers everywhere), see the 3 pools (one with a waterfall and live music), and miniature golf. I enjoyed the hammocks in the shade.

The resort was a little far to be walking distance to the convention center, but our convention ran shuttles. Sea World is easily within walking distance. They have a card entry gate at a corner of the property that leads to the entrance. (I walked over one evening just to watch the fireworks.)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank columbus_phil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,462)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

I CANNOT believe what the previous reviewer has said, I must have been at a different hotel !!!! This is a 3 Star Hotel and as such far exceeds standards of any other 3 star hotel I have stayed in. It deserves to be a 4 star for sure I have stayed in 5 star hotels in Malta and Egypt and the Lobby and Grounds/Landscaping/Fountains and general ambience are as good as these The beds are gorgous with sumptuous pillows and CLEAN SHEETS EVERY DAY !!! The beds were made beautifully each day and were a joy to get into, room was clean and did NOT smell funny at all I was in Block 7 with a pool view and was very pleased, we did have to wait a couple of days for a fridge but everyone we spoke to DID get a fridge within a couple of days You can fill your bin up with ice from the ice machines which are every where or get a cheap cooler from Publix Walgreens or Target for a few dollars ? This will be fine for a couple of days I got a bargain with Alpharooms uk £600 for 14 nights and the rate included Breakfast every day which was Gorgeous and very posh with everything you could want, this alone would have cost $15.95 Each every day which was almost half of the total cost we paid for the whole stay !!!! Yes of course it is expensive to buy meals from the hotel or from ANY hotel this is where they make their money !!but everyone knows that surely? Just go and get a $3.99 breakfast buffet from Ponderosa and buy your drinks at the supermarket, I NEVER buy hotel food or drinks wherever I go because I know they cost a bomb ? Again this is only classed as a 3 star, I think some reviews are expecting champagne on beer money If you want to pay 5 star prices then you get what you pay for. I cannot stress enough that I have travelled frequently and used to be Travel Agent and this the BEST 3 Star I have stayed in by far The HolidaY iNN IS SUPPOSED TO A 4 STAR and it is AWFUL. The only negative thing I could say is that the Bathroom is TINY and we didnt have a bath tub just a shower and it was badly lit, BUT who really spends much time in the bathroom, It did not affect our time at all. Also a lot of reviews have said that it is like a MOTEL ????? What on earth are they thinking, it is Caribbean style and would you want to stay in a TOWER block in the Caribbean ? A MOTEL does NOT have beautiful gardens and an amazing Lobby with helpful staff and does NOT have all the facilities that this does. I say to everyone to book this NOW as it is being taken over by the HILTON chain in September and it will no doubt DOUBLE in price and get another S*tar and will Not be available with any package uk holiday. Restaurants I would highly recommend are Sweet Tomatoes (amazing choice all u can eat Buffet) The Cheesecake Factory (best meal I had !) and Tony Romas for great value everyday meals(all u can eat garlic bread for .99c !!!) I have been to Florida 6 times (Crowne Plaza, Residence Inn, Floridays Resort ) to name a few and would reccomend all of them as well as The International Plaza. We LOVED it, you will too . . . . . .

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank PixieMcfluff
Miami, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

We found this hotel after doing a search on travelticker.com. My family (spouse, 3 yr) and I stayed for three nights. Pluses - very nice and quiet rooms, comfortable beds, very convenient if your visiting Sea World (within walking distance- 10 min walk).
Minuses - Queen beds are on the small side (look like a Full); very small bathroom; not too todler friendly; we called housekeeping to get a bed rail; they didn't carry them; Also, tough to get a live person on the phone when calling housekeeping; had to leave a message. Overall experience was so so. The inexpensive room rate ($60) was the deciding factor for our stay. Nice place, but I frankly don't know if I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank fleipeg
Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

The idea that they call this a resort is a joke. This hotel consists of around 20 motel like two-story buildings that surround a new tower. These buildings lack elevators and they charge excessive fees to upgrade to a tower room. My child has a cast on his leg, so it was miserable for him. The rooms were of Motel 6 quality. The closet was about the size of an old phone booth. Our luggage could not fit in it and the safe took up half the space. The bathroom is so small that you cannot close the door while you are in it. The toilet could only flush once every 2 minutes. The soap is small, inadequate, and cheap. The light in the bathroom did not work properly. I turned it on and it dimly lit the room. I asked to have the bulb replaced and it must have had a short because it only worked once. The tub had a nasty liner on the bottom, so it was best to wear flip-flops in the tub. The room had three lamps that lit it about as well as a flashlight would. They are in the process of renovating some of the buildings so there are construction people lurking around the unsecured grounds. The game room closest to our building was closed down. The pools were nice, but nothing to write home about. The restaurants are expensive and the food isn't that great, not for the price anyway. Pizza Hut is the most reasonable food option on site. We did enjoy the small putt-putt course and putting green. It helped keep us out of the room. They no longer offer the complimentary wireless internet access and marked it out on the brochure with a permanent marker after they checked us in. The laundry facilities are also a joke. The washer and dryer cost $2.25 each per load. Talk about highway robbery. There is no fridge or microwave in the room. The ice bucket will hold very little ice. Overall, this place is substandard. I moved to the Rosen at Shingle Creek, which has far better accomodations and cost less. Shame on you International Plaza.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelingPhoenixx
michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

I spent 4 days and 3 nights at the International Plaza Resort & Spa. I found the property to be gorgeous, the staff friendly and the location perfect for Universal and Sea World!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Palm Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

My boyfriend and I were meeting some friends in Orlando and just looking for a "place to crash" for a night, nothing fancy. We took advantage of a great rate and were pleasantly surprised! Our room was BEAUTIFUL, couldn't ask for more for $70 on a Saturday night. We ate dinner in the resort and both enjoyed our meals. Drinks were pricy, but that was expected, food was good and reasonably priced. It was under construction while we were there, and resturaunt choices were limited, but that was fine for us. I would go there again in a second and reccomend it for sure!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

I stayed here for a conference and had one bad experience after another. The room had long black hairs everywhere. They automatically charge you 18% service fee on every food and beverage item regardless of how many people are in your party or the amount on the order. The final blow was that I lost my room key and had it recarded (or so I thought). While I was at the conference, someone broke into my room and took the electronic items that were out recharging, including my Mac. The hotel's insurance company denied my claim since the "key audit" only showed one key. They would not believe that the front desk never rekeyed the room. Shame on their poor customer service!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business