“Sublime resort, fantastic stay”

Villas of Grand Cypress
Ranked #1 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was our 2nd holiday in Orlando as a family of 5 and we did a lot of research as to where to stay and the Villas had really good reviews. We weren’t sure how good it could really be as we thought the previous hotel we stayed at was brilliant, but the villas honestly blew us away. To echo all the previous reviewers, the Villas of Grand Cypress is really one of the finest, luxury establishments you could hope to stay at without breaking the bank.

Once you enter through the security gate you realise that the villas are not so much a hotel or even a resort, but like a mini community. Villas and suites are spread through 5 different courts and take a few minutes to reach from the security gate. We were really surprised with the size of the villa, the cleanliness and how modern it was. Flat screen TV’s, fully equipped kitchens with spotless work surfaces and cutlery, high quality furniture with a dining table that could easily sit 8 and super comfy beds. Admittedly, we did have an initial problem with the accommodation, but we were pleased that it was very swiftly addressed by the General Manager Mark Cox.

Overall, it made us feel like we were staying at an exclusive holiday home. The villas also have lots of nice little touches like chocolates by the side of the bed as part of the turndown service, and free chilled beverages at reception. Not to mention the toilets at the clubhouse. I went in there one morning after breakfast thinking there would just be the usual, standard toilets and sinks, so you can imagine my surprise when on a counter by the sinks there was hairgel, moisturisers, hairspray, barbicide, combs and other toiletries. It was so well equipped, you could do part of your morning routine in there! Particularly helpful when the kids and wife take ages in the bathroom!

The staff also seem to genuinely care about the guest’s experience and create a warm, welcoming atmosphere. When walking or driving around the resort, members of staff would give you a friendly wave and if, as we did, you get slightly lost trying to find the hotel restaurant in a sleepy daze on the 1st night, staff will happily stop and help you out. All the staff from front desk, management, wait staff, concierge to the gentleman who came to check our air conditioning unit were committed to ensuring you were satisfied at all times. Randy, Lourdes, Said, Heather and Kathy (the names I remember, apologies for any incorrect spelling) really deserve credit.

In terms of food, we weren’t expecting a lot as normally hotel food is pretty average. On the 1st night we had wagyu beef burgers with fries at the clubhouse and were positively surprised by how good it was. The meat had a nice chargrilled flavour and all the extra toppings such as mushrooms, cheese, onions added to the flavour. The fries were tasty, without being oily. Breakfast was also very good, personal favourite was the eggs benedict and the breakfast skillet with everything! (eggs cooked on a skillet with choice of ingredients). It was evident that the villas employed a skilled head chef.

On 1 evening we decided to eat at Nine 18 which is the property’s more formal restaurant and it did not disappoint. As my son recently celebrated his graduation, the staff also kindly brought out a platter of desserts for him. Our main waiter Sweeney was warm, knowledgeable and made the dining experience fun for all. Renee was also friendly and, as my wife said, a sign of a good waiter is when you don’t notice them taking/clearing things from a table.

Activities wise, the hotel is renowned for its golfing facilities and many guests were staying to play golf. There are other activities for families with an outdoor swimming pool on site and Jacuzzi. There is volleyball net in 1 section of the pool and a basketball hoop in the other if you fancy playing some ball games. They also have bike rentals available by the pool. As a guest of the Villas, you also get access to the sister Hyatt hotel 5 minutes down the road which has a large outdoor swimming pool with slide, tennis courts, a lake you can go on with pedalboats and kayaks; along with a small beach area, pitch and putt golf and a climbing wall. There is a free 24 hour shuttle to the Hyatt from the Villas. So there is plenty to do when you are not out and about at the parks, mall etc.

I’m not easily impressed, but overall, I would not hesitate to recommend the Villas of Grand Cypress as the facilities, food and above all the quality of the accommodation are top notch. This is backed up by a very diligent management team. To be honest I think I would struggle to find better elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank roqueAJ
JYost_DOR, Manager at Villas of Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

“A mini community;” I love that! It certainly feels like a community to us, and I’m so pleased that you found it to be the same for your family’s holiday. Thank you for all of your kind remarks!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

just returned from a two week vaction to this excellent resort.
this is our second visit and will not be our last.we stayed in a one bedroom suite on the second floor .
its very hard to find fault with this place,we have been visiting orlando for the last 28 years and
the villas of grand cypress are by far the best we have stayed in.
special thanks

john&his team at the pool
randy, lauren,heather and all the team at the clubhouse
in fact everbody we met ,did not see a miserable face throughtout our stay
looking forward to a return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: some reviews have mentioned the wildlife[bugs etc] if you are staying in a suite choose a upstairs v...
3  Thank tivojan

The best in 28 years of traveling is no small distinction, and I’m delighted that you have chosen to bestow it upon us! John, Randy, Lauren, Heather, and the rest of the gang can’t wait for your “soon as possible” return!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I recently surprised my girlfriend for a weekend in Orlando in a 1 bedroom villa and when we initially arrived both of us were speechless at how gorgeous the property was. The staff of the hotel upon initial check in were incredible as you could tell they genuinely cared about us and wanted us to have the best stay in their resort as we possibly could. They expedited our check in and answered all of our questions while the bell hop got us to our room. Once we entered the villa we were blown away at both the space and how beautifully it was decorated. The bed made for an incredible nights sleep and I have never seen a bathroom so well appointed with amenities. A big thing that separated this resort from others was that it was clearly obvious that they focus on the fine little details that most places wouldn't. One such is with motion sensitive lighting. Not a very big deal to have or not but when you get out of bed late at night and a very soft light turns on under the night stand to light your way out and back it is clearly evident that every feature in the room was well thought out. I could not recommend this resort enough to anyone especially couples traveling. While were there my girlfriend and I were celebrating our anniversary and they were nice enough to provide us a card, bottle of champagne, and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. A gesture they did not have to do but it made our stay that much more magical. I will for sure be returning next year!

3  Thank Zach I

That motion-sensor end table lighting is the stuff of dreams, isn’t it? I’m still so impressed with it! And very merry anniversary to you and your girlfriend! I can’t wait to help you celebrate many more to come!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was the perfect off Disney property! the staff was attentive and responsive. The room, facilities and location were just great. The setting was tranquil and relaxing after a long day at EPCOT or the Magic Kingdom but super, super close.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kara77005

Close to the hustle and bustle but WORLDS away; that’s one of my most favorite things about the Villas. All the benefits and seclusion of a secret island oasis, but moments from the most popular theme parks and attractions in the world!

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I am currently staying in a 1-bedroom villa for 6 nights with my 10-month old on, husband, and dog. When we first arrived and toured the villa we were very pleased with the place. Very modern furnishings and the space was very large. We also got an excellent unit overlooking the lake.

HOWEVER, IT WENT DOWNHILL.... On our first night when we were bathing our son in the tub, my husband found a dead cockroach next to the tub. Needless to say we were not pleased but brushed it off. We thought the villa's beautiful surroundings compensated for this small thing. We are now on our 4th day and yesterday, we found 3 dead bugs (large) in the living room, 1 dead cockroach, and a LIVE cockroach in the bathroom. I also happened to drop my son's prescription ointment (he is a severe eczema sufferer) under our nightstand and when I went to reach under to pick it up, the entire thing was filled with dust and hair. I had to scoop a large portion of this ointment out to get rid of all the dirt. Then I started noticing other small, live bugs around the villa, washroom sink with toothpaste stains from previous guest, broken glass piece my dog found in the dining room, and many other small issues. I called front desk to voice my concerns and when I spoke to the manager all he could offer to us was to call in a third party to spray the property to get rid of the cockroaches (3 and still counting). I was surprised that he didn't offer to change our room or put a credit on our bill. I am mostly surprised because I have a small infant and a dog and the staff don't appear to care that this room is cockroach-infested. Even more startling is I'm paying a $150 "pet cleaning fee" to have the room deep cleaned. We have 3 more nights here and I'm still waiting to see what they will do for us. I spoke to font desk yet again today and the best they can do is vacuum the room. Shouldn't the rooms already be vacuumed?!?

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
18  Thank crystalywong
JYost_DOR, Manager at Villas of Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

I am truly sorry to read that your time thus far at the Villas has not exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves on being one of Orlando’s premier luxury resorts, and to learn that you have not received the personalized, intuitive service that our guests and repeat guests have come to expect is disappointing. I am relieved now that our General Manager has made contact with you and taken steps to correct the issues in your accommodation and make the situation right as your stay with us continues. If you have any questions or would like to discuss your reservation further, please don’t hesitate to call me directly at 407-239-1947.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Villas for a family vacation. The lushly landscaped setting is a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the theme parks. The recent renovation gives true five star quality to the property, complete with all the amenities expected from a luxury resort. From room service to the pro shop, the staff here is top notch. The villas are appointed with all the comforts of home, along with great technology to keep you well connected. Whether traveling with my family or on business, the villas are my home away from home

Room Tip: If you are travelling with more than one, take a one bedroom unit rather than a club suite, for an a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

It takes five star to know five star! How splendid that the Villas was the perfect spot for your family vacation. Come “home” soon!

Reviewed 19 September 2013

The wife and I were celebrating our 16th anniversary and looked on tripadvisor for romantic places to stay. This hotel was ranked 4th on tripadvisor, but I think that is only because everyone wants to keep this gem to themselves. I can hardly blame them. I have stayed at the Waldorf, Ritz-Carlton and this hotel blue them away. The villas basically feel like homes, but with personal staff attending to your every need. When I told my niece about our experience, all she could say is "Man they treated you like you were a 'baller' (urban slang for someone that is VIP)." Of course we are not VIP, but they sure made you feel that way. We got a free upgrade to a one bedroom villa and free room service breakfast. The villas were huge and the area was quiet. In fact we often felt like we where the only ones on the whole property. I just can't say enough about this place. It looks exactly like it does on the picture. This is our new place to stay when we are in Orlando. Close to all the tourist attractions.

Thank you villas of grand cypress for a unforgettable time!!!!

Room Tip: I imagine every room is awesome. If you can manage to visit during non-peak periods, you can sometim...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Who says you’re not a VIP?? There is NOBODY more “baller” than a Villas guest! Sixteen years, how Grand! Here’s to an unforgettable 17th, 27th, and 37th at the Villas, as well!