“Perfect”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Perfect”
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Cannot say anything more than perfect. The staff is extremely friendly and will help you with anything you might need. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are very spacious and modern. We were upgraded from a Club Room to a 1 Bedroom Suite which was huge. I cannot recommend enough of anyone who wants a getaway to stay here especially if you are a golfer.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BadgerTim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Arabic first
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 18 January 2009

I've stayed at the Villas at least five times over the past 8 years and have booked a ten day vacation there for summer 2009. I simply cannot say enough good things about the location, the accomodations, and the staff. My 12 year old daughter loves to ride horses. My 17 year old loves Disney and the "whole Orlando thing." My wife and I love peace and quite. Believe it or not - you can have all three at the Villas. You are only minutes away from Disney, you can use all the facilities at the Grand Hyatt, and many family style restaurants are just down the street. On top of all that, you can close out the day with a quite drink on your own quiet and secluded patio. My only regret is that I can't buy a Villa. When I vacation in the East, I stay at the Villas. When I vacation in Phoenix, I stay at the Camelback Inn. Both are out of this world.

• Liked — The quiet seclusion so close to Downtown Disney.
  • Disliked — That I can't go there more often.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank wnvinso
Geneva
Reviewed 11 January 2009

First of all, if you have a broken ankle, cancel your booking at the Villas. If you are an able-bodied golfer, you'll enjoy yourself (unless you're expecting something in addition to the golf..).

I broke my ankle a couple of days before we left (Europe) for 3 weeks in Orlando. I'd considered cancelling the trip, afraid mobility issues would turn me into an albatross around my husband's and daughter's necks. Of course, Orlando is the home of the wheelchair and a week's stay at the Portofino Bay went without a hitch.

Then we arrived for an 11 night stay at the Villas. Though I had advised them a week prior to our arrival that I had broken my ankle and would need a disabled-access room and a wheelchair (and called to remind them the day before our arrival, as I'm obsessive), when we arrived - no wheelchair. Finally a Shrek-sized wheelchair was delivered later in the day which weighed more than the rent car. The concierge had ordered a giant sized chair. Finally, a day later a smaller chair was delivered and Shrek's chair picked up. The smaller chair had broken brakes. We asked for that one to be replaced and got the answer "there were no wheelchairs free in Orlando" (they should check out the Disney parking lot after hours..). Finally, 3 days later another company delivered a wheelchair which the hotel receptionist noticed was broken (the brakes again) - and still they delivered it to our room! All this took up our first 3 days at the hotel where I was stranded with no means of getting around, waiting around for somebody to either pick up or deliver a wheelchair. And of course, the 3 days were punctuated by numerous phone calls to the concierge/front desk/wheelchair company.

We finally rented one ourselves at Turner Drug - a 5 minute drive down the road from the Villas. I informed the concierge of where we found a wheelchair and I hope in the future the concierge will know where to find one if a guest so requires.

When you have a broken ankle, you are stuck at the Villas. You have to drive everywhere, except for the golf courses and a swimming pool, neither of which I could use, there's nothing to do. The atmosphere is somewhere between comatose and moribond.

Being a noble sort of person, I let my husband go off golfing while my daughter and I spent our days quarreling over what to watch on TV.

When my husband had an early tee-time, I ordered room service for my daughter and myself for 8:30 so we would have something to do waiting for him to play his round. At 9:45 I called room service to enquire where our breakfast was, they said they had forgotten to pick up the orders the night before and what did I want them to do about it? No apology of course.

Otherwise, the room should sleep 4 in 2 queen beds. The beds are comfortable beds, but they aren't double beds, they are so narrow and short (even the passionately amorous - and short - couldn't sleep 2 in one of those beds), I kept expecting Snow White to show up looking for Grumpy (me) and Sneezy (me, too, the air conditioning would kick in at 3 a.m. and you'd wake up to arctic conditions in the room). The hotel did quickly deliver a folding bed so our daughter (good-naturedly) accepted sleeping on that so my husband and I each got a "double" bed to ourselves and avoided divorce.

My husband loved the golf courses and found them in immaculate condition so at least somebody was happy.

• Liked — the golf courses
  • Disliked — there was nothing but the golf courses
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Ritchissimo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2008

From the moment I contacted this hotel I was thoroughly impressed. I noticed another website that was offering a better rate and when I emailed the Grand Villas to cofirm the other website was genuine I received an almost immediate reply which was also a very polite one. Some staff at expensive hotels when contacted about better prices they give you the feeling they would rather not deal with you. The staff at Grand Villas was very polite and very helpful from the start. They matched the rate and they also advised to make the most of the resort fee by describing what activities the resort fees cover. The lady that took the reservation also asked whether we prefer a lake view or a golf view room which I thought was very thoughtful.
One thing that always dissapoints me in 5 star hotels is the room. All 5 star hotels have fairly average rooms unless you pay exorbitant amounts for a penthouse. However the Grand Villas exceeded my expectations. The villa I got which was the cheapest of them all had the following: a large living room with a pullout sofa and additional arm chairs as well as a huge plasma TV and a fire place and mini bar. There was also a completely separate dining room. The bedroom was in a sense a double room. The “top” room had a huge kingsize bed with another huge plasma TV in it. The other room which was in a sense part of the bedroom was actually a split level room located a few steps down from the bedroom and it had another pullout sofa as well as some armchairs. There was also a full separate kitchen which also had a closed which had a washing machine and a dryer.
The bathroom had a huge shower and I mean a huge one which had glass doors (not your typical shower with plastic curtains) and there was also a deep jacuzzi bath. And I forgot to mention my favorite: there were bath robes in the closet in the bedroom. All the rooms had doors leading to the outside garden which was surrounding the villas we stayed in. There was also a table with chairs outside living room which had great views of the lake and was undercover under some part of the villa. The car was easy to park, just outside the villa which was only a few steps away from the door.
So we arrive at the Grand Villas. There was a security booth at the entry and after giving our name the guard was raised and we drove to the check in villa which is a separate building. On the way there were these great views of this magnificent golf course which impressed even a non golfer such as myself. At the check in they asked me if I want a complementary drink and that is when I noticed a bar full of ice with various alcoholic drinks in it. I don't drink and was early in the morning anyway. They advised the room wasn't yet ready (we were there early in the morning) but they would take our bags and take them to our room and upon our return all we would have to do is pick up the key and go to the room. Anyway, to save time I decided to leave the bags in the car and hit another amusement park. When I returned to pick up the key they sent two porters in a golf cart to show us the way to our villa. We followed them and as I described above the villa was stunning. Anyway, these were the best porters I have ever seen. I just got the sleeping kid out of the car after opening the boot and by the time I took him inside I noticed all the bags were already inside the room along with some separate items. These porters/bell boys or whathever you call them were amazingly fast. Even now I can't believe how efficient they were.
So we established the vilas had great rooms. In the evening we went to check out the pool. What was great about the pool was that it seemed heated and even at 11pm it was not cold at all for a swim. I think the pool was heated though I am not fully sure. What I liked about the pool was the fact it was only a few steps away from the villas. Some other hotels you have to walk a lot before you reach the pool. The pool itself was not something special and yet the fact the water seemed heated and it also had two separate jacuzzis made it all seem great. One of the jacuzzi had a waterfall falling straight into the jacuzzi which was spectacular. There was also a nice garden close to the waterfall so it looked good in the photos. There were plenty of fresh plushy towels near the pool and there was also a ping pong table under a pergola near the pool.
There was only one casual restaurant on the premises at the club house which was serving decent food. Another nice touch was the free internet access from the computer located near the concierge desk at the clubhouse. Of all the luxury hotels I stayed, I must say this is the one that impressed me the most. To be fair the kitchen was a little average and perhaps not so modern looking and the bathroom has some signs of getting a little old but these are extremely small defects especially when comparing with the overall great experience.
Please note there are no shuttles from this hotel to the parks. It didn't bother us because we had a rented car (a must whenever you're staying in Orlando). The only shuttle is from the next door Hyatt and you do have to be there at a certain time. We were going to stay at the Grand Hyatt and we went to see it because they allow you to use the pools at the Grand Hyatt but we were much, much happier to stay at the villas.
The rooms were cleaned daily and the nightly turndown service was also a pleasant touch. There was also a free inroom safe. If you can stay at this place do it. I don't think you will be dissapointed. I know that for me and my family this will be an unforgettable hotel.

• Liked — The fantastic rooms and extremely well kept lawns
  • Disliked — The kitchen could use an upgrade
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank Appreci8life
Bangor ME
Reviewed 27 November 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Villas for 3 days last week.
Although neither of us are golfers, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. The accommodations were comfortable, and the surroundings were peaceful and serene.
One other thing--we booked our stay here for the equestrian facility, which apparently is closing at the end of November, 2008.

• Liked — Equestrian facility
  • Disliked — Internet service kept disappearing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Ghost
America, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 November 2008

Just returned from a very nice 3 night stay. We were upgraded to a huge one bedroom villa, with stepdown LR, separate full dining room, bedroom with stepdown sitting area, and full kitchen with W/D. We were right on one of the lakes, with a 2 level patio/deck. The room did not feel brand new, but it didn't matter because it was just nice to be able to spread out. Our biggest complaint about the room was that the interiors of the kitchen cabinets were awfully musty. We could not even use the glasses provided because they smelled and tasted like mildew.

The resort was pretty empty while we were there, which was very nice for us. Service at the Villas was terrific, especially the waiters and staff at the Clubhouse restaurant. They bent over backwards to please. The shuttle service to the Hyatt was so easy--they arrived at your room door within 5 minutes of calling them. We ate breakfast every day at the Clubhouse restaurant. It was pretty good. Excellent pankcakes and fruit plate, but corned beef hash was from a can. But again, the waiters were just terrific!

We enjoyed the driving range (cart and clubs included in the resort fee) and the pitch and putt course. The bikes were great and they let us leave them right in front of our villa to enjoy for our stay. The tennis courts up at the Hyatt were nice hard-tru and well maintained. We had no trouble getting a court without a reservation.

We did not get to enjoy the wonderful pool at the Hyatt because of the weather. We ate lunch there on our last day. The service did not compare to the restaurant at the Villas. The food was only okay and overpriced, though not so out of range for hotel food. The service was pretty spotty (e.g. my daughter's meal came out almost 10 minutes after mine, with no apology or explanation, and we had to track someone down for a check, even though there were only 3 other tables filled).

Overall, we would definately go back to the Villas should we be in Orlando again and would choose them over the Hyatt, since it's much quieter and you can still use the Hyatt facilities.

• Liked — The spaciousness of the suites and the service
  • Disliked — Mildewy kitchen cabinets
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ReviewerMaryland1
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 October 2008

This is very lovely if you want to just hang out. The room was good, the staff was nice, the bathroom was cool, and the food is alright. However, I prefer staying at the Beach Club more because that's closer to where I want to be. This is great for a golf course, but it dosn't blow me away.

• Liked — Pretty good room.
  • Disliked — You have to drive into Disney World, and I like having a Disney feel staying at a Disney hotel.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business