“Great value close to Disney, but rooms need refresh”

Villas of Grand Cypress
Ranked #1 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Great value close to Disney, but rooms need refresh”
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We stayed in a 3 bedroom villa at the Grand Cypress over the holidays and spent a few days at Disney and a few on the golf course. Overall, we'd stay at the Grand Cypress again as the rooms were spacious, the living/dining rooms were good places to spend time with the kids and the full kitchen and laundry in each villa were key. The clubhouse/golf courses were excellent, but there are no gyms or spas onsite (they have in-room services or you can go to the Hyatt) and the pool isn't great (much better at the hyatt but again, you need to take the shuttle). In my view, this resort is NOT up to the standards of most Amex Platinum hotels and service was a bit inconsistent.

The good:
1. Location: A calm, quiet resort away from the hustle and bustle of Disney but very close to parks (10-15 min drive).
2. Spacious villas: Our 3 BR villa had a large living room with wet bar area, working brick fireplace, patio/"backyard" overlooking the lake, full size dining room w/8 chairs, 3 nice-sized bedrooms with bath, and a full kitchen w/dishwasher, microwave, range, etc. as well as a washer/dryer.
3. Good value: Compared to comparable hotels on Disney properties, this was a MUCH better value for the space and amenities. A full breakfast was also included in our rate through Amex FH&R.
4. Clubhouse: Breakfast food was pretty good, though service was slow and inconsistent at times.

The bad:
1. Upgrade/renovation: The villas need it. The furniture, carpet, etc were clean and well maintained, but they look like they would have been "modern" 10-15 years ago. We were definitely not impressed by the brown tile bathrooms with brown tubs and gold hardware (again, clean), bad lighting in the bathrooms (florescent bulbs), decent but not great linens, etc.
2. Saw a cockroach scurry by in the kitchen. We were on the ground floor, but still ...
3. Our key cards kept getting scrambled/de-magnetized so we were left standing in front of our villa late in the evening while one of us drove to the registration building to get new keys. And yes, we kept them away from cell phones and credit cards.
4. The shuttles to Disney run pretty infrequently and on a schedule -- we ended up driving rental cars there.
5. The $18/day/room resort charge is annoying. I'm happy paying it for the services, but it should just be bundled into the room rate!!!

The ok:
1. Generally, customer service was good (esp. the concierge and bellmen, front desk was ok and restaurant was inconsistent).
2. The shuttles arrived promptly (within 5-10 minutes) when called, but it's still a bit of a pain to drive 15-20 min to the Hyatt to have access to a fitness center, spa services, a good pool for the kids, etc.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Arabic first
NJ
Reviewed 15 December 2009

The Villas at Grand Cypress was a great pick for us. It's quiet, relaxing, clean and offers great service with any needs/requests you may have. The villas are partnered with the Hyatt too so you get access to all of their amenities as well. They offer shuttles to the theme parks but only certain times so check with the schedule.
Our villa was overlooking the lake. You need to take the shuttle to go anywhere but it shows up within minutes.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
SE US
Reviewed 7 December 2009

This property has seen better days and is extremely dated. I tried this property since it is part of the AMEX FH&R program as I have stayed at the others recently and wanted to give this one a try. The pics on their website do a good job of masking the outdated rooms. I did get the upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite but had repeated issues with cleanliness of the bathroom and also the place had a bad odor. Since it was just me and the wife not sure we needed the space but could see benefit on booking if you had a family as it was roomy assuming you don't have same issues that I had.

Also, I saw on previous comments a mention of a shuttle; however the shuttle will only take you to the main hotel so if you want to get ride to WDW be prepared to spend $15ish each way for taxi's. We had a car but did not want to drive as we wanted to have a couple of adult drinks at Downtown Disney.

Also, my wife had an opportunity to get a massage at main hotel, but the facility was lacking. They have since moved the spa rooms from the work out center to the Hair Salon and the room walls are paper thin and not in a spot that is not very relaxing.

There were some positives though and perhaps I just got the wrong room and wrong people addressing my issues. The property is beautiful and if you into golf, the courses appear to be good (I don't play). The pool at the main resort is also great for kids. The location is close to everything Disney but away from the hustle / bustle of the area.

Lastly, upon check out the person asked how my stay went and I said I had issues. Funny thing is that he proceeded to give me a card to fill out as I could tell he did not really want to get into my issues. I threw away the card as we all have choices and I will choose to go to another hotel on my next O-Town Trip.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Fl
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Stayed in a one-bedroom villa for three weeknights. Staff went out of the way to accommodate. Had morning coffee on the patio, overlooking the beautifully manicured golf course. 24-hr room service was perfect for an intimate evening. Resort pool was quiet during the week; poolside lunch was delicious. The Club House was an inviting locale for social relaxation. Hyatt visit was enjoyable - large pool with slides (adults may slide as well!). A revitalizing hideaway if visiting theme parks.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Clearwater, FL
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We took a weekend "getaway" trip to Grand Cypress Villas to relax and step out of the "real world" for a couple of days. The view of the golf course from our room was amazing. Large bathrooms with spa tub and standing shower, large, open room and comfortable bed with separate sitting room. The restaurant was outstanding. The pool was average at the Villas but we also had access to the pool and all amenities at the Hyatt Grand Cypress and their pool was the best I've seen. Exquisite surrounding gardens and walking paths, waterfalls and even a cafe by the pool.

The ONLY complaint is check-in. Our room was not ready so the front desk staff took our cell number and said they would call as soon as it was ready. We decided to go do some shopping and wait for their call. After three hours passed and we hadn't heard from them, we called and they said they were wondering where we were and the room had BEEN ready. Total confusion at the front desk.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We're about to have our third corporate meeting at this resort, and it's become an event that everyone looks forward to, not because of corporate largesse but because of the just rock solid quality of the resort. And as the CEO that signs the check for the conference, it's always good value. I have never taken the time to write a review, but this resort and the management there deserve the kudos.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2009

My family and I stayed at the Villas at Grand Cypress on October 2nd for one night. I sure wish we could of had more time there because it was such a beautiful resort. The staff could not have been nicer--from the bell man escorting us on a golf cart directly to our room--to the staff at the club house restaurant--making sure our every need was met.
I can't stress enough, if you enjoy and expect good service, this is the place for you.
Our room/villa was very large and spacious. My husband enjoyed the free internet access. Bathroom was large and luxurious and the room was extremely comfortable for the four of us. The view was of a serene lake. My 13 year old son enjoyed watching the fish and turtles swim.
The resort offered us free bicycles to ride but unfortunately, we did not have enough time. The grounds are just beautiful and the atmosphere is quiet and tranquil.
I look forward to going back to this resort when we have more time to spend there. They also will transport you --free of charge--to all the theme park locations!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family