“A good place that has problems controlling room temperature”

Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs
Ranked #201 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Buena Vista Palace for six days at a bridge tournament in January, 2012. This is an old but generally attractive hotel. The view of Buena Vista Lake outside our room was beautiful, and we greatly enjoyed eating breakfasts on our balcony. The hotel does a good job with providing a variety of food options, although one does get tired of this. Towards the end of the tournament, we were very glad to hook up with new friends who could drive us to restaurants outside the hotel. There is very little space for unpacking one’s clothes (I counted only three drawers in the room). The bathroom sink was tiny and the medicine cabinet was small. We couldn’t unpack either our clothes or our toiletries, and we were pretty much living out of our suitcases for the week. We had a problem with the room being too cold. A serviceman showed up promptly in response to our call and fixed the problem, saying that this was an old building and that he continually needed to make adjustments. However by the end of our stay the room had again become too cold. On the way to the airport at the end of the tournament, another bridge player told me that he had had the service person in his room several times but the room would not maintain a proper temperature. He finally gave up and resigned himself to refrigeration. We would go to this hotel again, but only to play bridge, and we would be sure to bring warm sweaters.

Room Tip: Rooms with lake views are greatly to be preferred.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,296)

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days, attending a conference sponsored by the Institute of Applied Management & Law. I called to make my reservation a week prior to my stay and offered to pay the entire room charge at that time. The reservationist told me that I could not, and in order to do so, I must complete a form, sign it and send it to corporate accounting. What an inconvenience to pay money in advance!

It was at that time that good customer service would have been to ask me had I ever stayed at the Lake Buena Visat Palace and Spa resort hotel before and then inform me of the policy and procedures of the hotel. Specifically, the hold for the remainder of the balance and "incidental" daily charges that would be assessed at the time of check-in. Because of a previous bad experience, I only travel with a minimum amount and have the rest transferred as needed. Upon arrival, the desk clerk informed me that they were placing a hold for $400 and gave me a key. She never once mentioned that the remaining balance was due at anytime before my check-out date. On day #2, I was locked out of my room and told by the Supervisor, Ms. Victoria, that I had to pay or I will be checked out the next business day. At this point I am sick to my stomach, physically ill at the adverse treatment I am receiving. I return to my room, only to see that my room was still locked and I could not get in with my key. I again asked to speak to a manager and was given a Ms. Luxin, still no help, nor did she offer anything for my inconvenience of the blatant lack of customer service from the staff. Of course, once I gathered myself, I arranged for the funds to be made available the next business day. Money was never the issue for me; however apparently it is the only issue for the Hilton Hotel Corporation. The next day at 9:15am, I go the front desk and ask for a manager. This time I get Marcus Gonzalez. I told him of my horrific experience and he apologized and made me aware that he would speak to the other managers, because there were definitely some concessions that could have been made in the interest of good customer service. He offered to delay my payment until check-out in light of the treatment that I had been given. FINALLY, good customer service! I politely declined the offer and paid the bill in full. Upon going back to my room that same afternoon, I found another bill in the amount of $277.60! Of course I am thinking at this point that this is personal. nothing short of harrassment and maybe even discriminatory. I go back to the front desk and ask the clerk the meaning of the bill and she stated, oh nothing, I'll just throw that in the trash. At that time I penned a letter that I had hand delivered to Ms. Lane, HR Executive and to date have heard NOTHING from her.

It is so sad that these chain of events have overshadowed which was otherwise a lovely hotel. My company regularly sends our employees to conferences held by IAML and SHRM; however, neither myself or my company will ever patronize this or any other Hilton Hotel again.

P.S. I will also be sending a copy of the letter I sent to Ms. Lane to Mr. Christopher J. Nassetta, CEO of Hilton Corporation Worldwide.

1  Thank MissV808
Jeremy H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Dear MissV808,
Thank you for your post and I am genuinely sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. As we do receive a very high number of compliments about the friendliness and professionalism of our staff that genuinely care for our guests I was concerned to learn of your experience .Although we make every effor to accomodate every guest with the highest level of professionalism your comments have certainly highlighted some areas which may require further staff training and I appreciate you taking the time to pass them along to me. Once again MissV808, thank you for this gift of feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

This resort truly was lovely. The grounds were beautiful the staff was friendly and helpful. We valet parked during our stay and was always greated with a smile and asked if we needed any directions to our destitation. The rooms were very nice and spacious. We had a fireworks room and it was so nice seeing them each night without hitting all the traffic leaving the parks. The pools were nice too. There were 2. One was heated and one wasn't. Being March it was nice going into the heated one.

We've been to FL many times and this was the first time we didn't actually stay right in Disney and we loved it. Sure there were children, after all we're in Orlando but nearly not as many compared to staying at the resort within the parks. All the children we saw were alittle bit older and so well behaved which made our surroundings all the more enjoyable.

Dining was just okay but there are so many great places across the street at Downtown Disney or right down the road. The location of this resort is fantastic to all the local attractions. Seriously, I cannot stress enough the money saved by staying here and how convenient everything is in proximity. Ohh and there's a Starbucks on the premises too.

Hope this was helpful and everyone enjoys their vactions.

Room Tip: For a few dollars more booking a Fireworks room is so worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suzanne W
Jeremy H, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Suzanne W, Thank you for the wonderful review, it was a pleasure to read! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy the wonderful amenities and surroundings offered at the Resort. We hope that on your next trip to Orlando we have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Cheers,

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I spent 3 nights at Buena Vista Palace Hotel for a conference I was attending. I liked my room a lot ,(king sized bed) and enjoyed the little balcony. The room was well appointed--the bed was very comfortable. One complaint is I couldn't plug in my laptop while sitting in bed (for those late work nights)--I had to sit at the desk to charge and work at the same time. Although I really liked my room, there were loud college aged people on either side of me, and between them talking and the TV blaring it kept things louder than I preferred. I liked the fact you can walk to downtown Disney for dinner (the madhouse that it is)--I didn't have to drive anywhere. Because I was working the whole time, I didn't have a chance to take advantage of the amenitites, but the pool looked nice. Internet access included in the 'resort fee' that is not optional. Just build that price into the base price--if it isn't optional, it is annoying to tack it on separately.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay. I am sorry about the issues with the level of noise that you experienced. Once again thank you for your valuable feedback and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at the Buena Vista Palace during March Break 2012 and we had a great stay. Short walking distance to Downtown Disney. Rooms are quite nice, check in and out were very efficient. We had a package through TravelZoo which gave us a free shuttle to all Disney theme parks as well as a free hot buffet breakfast. Next time we visit any Disney resort, we will definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Coach_Morris

Thank you for sharing the memories of your recent stay. I am so glad you were able to relax and enjoy all the Resort has to offer and I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team and thank them for once again delivering the warm and friendly service that our guests have come to rely upon year after year.
Once again thank you for your post and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.
Warm Wishes

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel on a last minute trip to the Disney World/UniversalStudios. We found the hotel on one of the discount hotel web sites and were assured there were many benefits, despite the higher room rates. When we arrived, we were greeted by friendly doormen and cheerful front desk staff. We then found that many of the benefits of staying at this "high end" hotel did not exist. For example, the $50 resort credit could not be applied to the $20 per night roll away bed charge. The "free park transportation" only applied to Disney Parks, not Universal Studios. The transportation charge to Universal was about $20 per person, totally out of the question for a 15min ride and a family of five. There also was an unexpected $16.50 per night resort charge in addition to the $149.00 per night room charge. I was also was attracted
to the hotel because of the Outback Steakhouse on premises. I believe the menu prices were higher than freestanding Outback Steakhouses, although the Hotel did give a 25% discount on the dinner bill. The rooms were fresh and clean, but for the money I paid, I would have rather stayed in one of the official park hotels or paid less and drove a few miles to the Parks. There was nothing special about this Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lottie561

Thank you for your review, we are delighted that you chose the Buena Vista palace for your family vacation. We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and had such great experiences at the resort ! We love hearing feedback regarding areas that we can improve upon and we are currently looking into ways we can improve the experience with the complimentary resort shuttles. Thank you again for taking the time to write about your experience and we look forward to welcoming you and your family again soon.

Cheers!

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in March 2012 for a conference I was attending. I have stayed in this hotel several times before for related meetings. The property is beautiful and check-in was efficient...room is beautiful and bed is extremely comfortable. However, the internet service in my first room was so weak that I needed a room change (this is where things got very confusing). At this point my luggage still had not arrived and I was told I had to request it once I was in the room for "security reasons" (this is exactly opposite what the bellman told me ...that it would be sent right up. That was eventually sorted out thanks to a manager named Marcus.

Great location right across from Downtown Disney. "Resort fee" of 16.95 per night is a bit steep and not in line with surrounding properties..the cafeteria is extremely expensive (I honestly think some items were cheaper at the Contemporary in Disney where I was just prior).

Overall, a gorgeous hotel with confusing bell service and weak internet. If I was traveling for pleasure I would not have minded so much..but I was on business and the issues were distracting.

1  Thank Red_Dolphin-Media

Dear Red_Dolphin-Media, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I would like to thank you for the feedback regarding the internet and luggage issues. I can assure you that I will be addressing this with my team to ensure this issue is corrected. Should your travels bring you to Orlando again, we would love the chance to welcome you back and to provide you the experience that you expected and that we consistently provide.