“Save Your Money, Stay In A Moderate Resort!”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #150 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
london, ontario
“Save Your Money, Stay In A Moderate Resort!”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Last week of September to first week of October 2011(sorry this review is late) I stayed at Disney's Caribbean Beach resort for two weeks with some friends.

It was a great stay! Earlier this year I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and I have to say - for the cost difference Stay in a Moderate resort!

Lets be honest for most of your trip you are going to be out .. So the amount of time you spend is not very much. However, even if it is, Caribbean Beach was beautiful!
Here's the breakdown...

Resort:
Its a spacious resort - sprawling over much land - with a made made beach in the centre. The walking paths are gorgeous. Each block of rooms has their own pool and beach area with hammocks for relaxing. (you can not swim in the water - although many did anyway, I wouldn't recommend it!).
You truly felt like you were away on an all inclusive type resort.

Rooms:
The rooms area good size, the beds comfortable. Dated decor in my opinion, but everything was in good working order and clean... so that was the most important part.

Restaurant(s):
We did not eat at the restaurant on site, but we did utilize the market place for snacks and drinks. I was very pleased. All in all, Disney has tons of amazing restaurants so I would recommend checking out all the options first. (ie Polynesian resort has Kona Cafe and O'hana - both spectacular)

Distance to Parks:
This resort is really well placed to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
The longest shuttle ride is to Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom is not too bad.
All in all, nothing to worry about here.

Service:
So unfortunately the same problem I had with my first trip in June - reared its ugly head with the front desk during check in. This older woman(Nancy), who clearly hates her job or people in general... made check in anything but magical. However, i'm am (and was) determined to not let that ruin our entire experience. Most of the other staff was pleasant... only a few pot holes here.

Other Considerations:
We took advantage of the free dining plan deal (where if you stay on disney and get at least a two day park pass - you get a free dining plan 1 snack, 1 quick service and 1 table service daily)

This is a great opportunity to test drive the dining plan. In short TOTALLY WORTH IT! Having experienced this I strongly recommend it - even if you pay the $40 (approx.) per day.

Here are the table service restaurants we ate at:

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Wilderness Lodge Resort - Very Good BBQ - fun family place
Mama Melrose Hollywood Studios not bad
1900 Park Fare Grand Floridian - character dining - food is buffet. Buffet Quality.
Chef de France Epcot - Good! Busy, Family Atmosphere
Tappenedo Epcot - Yummy, healthy and a great experience
Le Cellier Epcot - Steak! Very good
O'hana Polynesian Resort - Amazing. Family style restaurant... love this one
Kona Cafe Polynesian Resort - Amazing. Best meal of my life there (Tuna Oscar)
Yachtsman Steakhouse Grand Floridian Resort - Steak Steak and more Steak! Yum
Le Hacienda de San Angel Epcot - Fantastic Mexican Restaurant... Will definitely return!
The Wave Contemporary Resort - Great service, nice relaxing atmosphere - food was good.

As for my favourite Quick Service Restaurants:

Wolfgang Puck Express in Downtown Disney - blew my mind! No hot dogs here!
Earl of Sandwich - Downtown Disney If you miss this one you are really missing out! It's a MUST.

Must do Snacks:

Magic Kingdom Baker on Main Street - has many larger than life treats (like their cinnamon buns or Apple Turnovers)
Animal Kingdom had an amazing Jalapeno Cheddar Pretzel. So good!
Epcot France Pavilion has an amazing Napoleon you just have to make room for!

I'm headed back to disney Sept 2012 staying at the Coronado Springs Resort. I'll be sure to fill you in on this other Moderate option.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,784)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Legrand
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We usually stay at an off-site resort when visiting Disney, but took the chance to stay on-property this time. We arrived around 1030a, picked up our check-in packet, and were in our room with no wait at all. I'd read many negative reviews and was afraid to see our room. I was apprehensive for nothing! The corner room was spacious, clean, and convenient. We stayed in Barbados and the walk was not at all prohibitive. Barbados is close to the Custom House and convenient for checking out with Disney's Express bus service if you don't mind carrying your own bags. Our family, which includes a nine year old, enjoyed our daily walks to Port Royale.We plan to stay on Disney's property for all future visits simply because of Disney's resorts and transportation. Disney's transportation is absolutely awesome! Each section has its own bus stop. We didn't wait longer than ten minutes for a bus except once when leaving an event at WWOS. The food court is great for most people. We are kosher eaters and find it difficult to eat at most quick places so Port Royale was not to blame. The atmosphere at Carribean Beach is quite welcoming and relaxed. Robert, a worker in Port Royale's seating area was very friendly and made us feel right at home. We enjoyed meeting, hearing stories, and being greeted by cast members with various backgrounds. They added to the magic of Disney for us. Our one negative involves the beds. If you and your bed partner are pleasantly plump, then the double beds might be an issue. They are small.

Grove City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Maid service was the worst of any hotel/motel I have ever had, we called the front desk after our first night there because we were left one washcloth (for two people) and no soap or shampoo. We never go more than one washcloth. The next night, which was on my birthday and Father's Day, our room wasn't even made up. What a birthday present. The first night we complained that our in room fridge was over 50 degrees so when the maintenence dept. showed up I was told it was working fine. I have worked in the food industry for a long time, I tell he just didn't want to deal with it. After our vacation, I complained to their complaint dept. Their records indicated we never called the front desk at all which is a complete lie. We called several times. How many times should we have to call for good service? The last thing is when I showed up at the front desk I had a cast on my right foot for a fracture. The room we were given was about a half mile from the food court. the complaint dept. suggested that I NOT stay at the Caribbean Resort. All I wanted was a guarantee that our next stay there would be better and they could not do that. $2250 for a vacation package for one week for two adults. I won't be staying at a place where bad service is being covered up and ignored. NOT UP TO DISNEY STANDARDS!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose the Carribean.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
PA
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My family and I stayed here in October, 2011. It was a nice experience. The hotel was a little dated, but still comfortable and clean. The housekeeping staff was very helpful, even at 3am when our son got sick in bed and they had to change our bedding. Twice. It is a big property, which comes with its pros and cons. We always had our own bus, but there are 5 stops on the hotel property. We never had to wait too long for a bus. The main pool/dining area was on the opposite side of the lake from where we were, but the walk wasn't too bad. The bad part was that the bar and all of the food places shut down at 12am. Good hotel for the price.

Room Tip: I would request a room in either building 26 or 31. They are right next to the dining center and a b...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Montrose, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We recently stayed in one of the "Pirate themed" rooms. It was very cute and both my 4 year old and my teenager enjoyed all of the details. They also both really liked the main pool area, which had games in the afternoon, and life vests for the little ones. My little guys absolutley LOVED the kids pirate pool area!!! Menu choices in the food court were good for kids and pretty reasonable, including a side and drink.

Now the down side, The room seemed moist to me, it did not smell, but always seemed damp. The beds were small, the bathroom even smaller! There is no elevator!!!! So if you have a stroller or can not do stairs request a ground floor.

Getting to the parks on the bus is just fine, however, depending on which "island" you are at if the bus is full it will not come to your stop and you have to wait for another one.
The Internal shuttle is another story...I hated that!! I also hated having to walk a mile everytime we needed to get to the main building where the food and main pools were.

My advice is if you get a good deal, and can stay on the ground floor closest to the main location, you should be okay. I would NEVER pay full price!! I have stayed at many Disney resort hotels and would recommend the animal kingdom lodge.

Also, the beaches are small and there is no swimming inthe lake...try telling that to a little one!

Room Tip: Choose ground floor closest to main building
2 Thank rebecca s
North Canton, OH
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We took our children (12 & 9) in January for 7 days. Upon check-in our room wasn’t ready (we got there before noon), but we were given the option to select another room/building or wait for our #1 choice to become available later that day. You need to educate yourself on the resort layout and select a room location that meets your needs. We selected Aruba since it was right across the bridge from food and the main pool. It was a short walk, but it was beautiful—flowers and wildlife. The hotel pool was great and my family used it during the day and at night after a long day of walking. The guest service center was wonderful. I called at all hours asking about transportation/activities and was always greeted by a helpful staff member. We were going to drive to an early breakfast reservation but the hotel staff told us about an early morning breakfast shuttle. They also helped us book a fishing excursion for my husband and son. While the room was basic, it met our needs—clean, comfortable beds, hot water, dorm fridge. We only were there to sleep! The “mousekeeper” lightly cleaned our room each night and replaced the towels. When we wanted something additional (even towel animals) we just wrote her a nice note and the next day we had it. We had a wonderful time and would highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Look at the resort map and select a room close to what you will be using the most (bus/food/pool).
ky
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We had a upgraded room that seemed to me to be a basic room. The interiors was very dated and not up to the Disney standards of today. The room was musty, though the rooms were extremly clean. The overall resort for eating was very basic and you definitly had to go off property to another resort to eat something with value. The front desk was effiecient but there was a very lackluster enthusiam. Again not up to par for Disney.This was my 3rd trip to Disney and I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: ask to stay close to the food court for effeciency of getting from point A to point B. Stay on the f...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!