“Huge resort, A Bit Dated, But Great Staff & Theming”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #149 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Port Reading, NJ
“Huge resort, A Bit Dated, But Great Staff & Theming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Other Trip Advisor reviews gave us a bit of trepidation about staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort, but we decided to give it a shot since the reported pluses seemed to beat out the minuses and we had a great price. It is true, the place is HUGE. Staying in one of the far buildings would in fact, suck. We asked for a building close to the Old Port Royale, and received a room in Jamaica, a short walk from everywhere.

The room itself could really use a complete rehab. It was clean, but the carpet was ripped, there were water stains on the ceiling, and it was a bit worn. On the plus side, it was spacious, the decor was simple, but bright and the bed (a king) was comfy. There were plenty of towels and plenty of light.

Caribbean Beach Resort grounds are gorgeous. I wish we had more time to enjoy one of the many scattered seeing areas or sit on the white sand sand beach, but alas, the theme parks (and Food & Wine Festival) beckoned. Caribbean Cay, the island that connects the two halves of the resort was particularly gorgeous. It features towering palm trees, lush vegetation and quiet nooks for reading or just relaxing and enjoying the scenery. The playground is also on the cay, but it was still plenty quiet.

Although the food court in Old Port Royale has less choices than some of the other food courts, the food was consistently very good and a bargain by Disney standards. The cast members at the food court were amongst the nicest CMs we've encountered anywhere. The Caribbean specialty pastries were excellent, as were the other specialities we tried. Pizza & burgers and such were the same as any Disney resort. Seating alway seemed to be plentiful and the tables spotless. Disney finally replaced the horrid coffee from concentrate they used to serve with fresh brewed coffee. This caused occasional short waits (they were still working the kinks out of the system), but the real coffee is worth a little hassle.

The pool resembles the town in Pirates of the Caribbean and is beautiful. This big kid who refuses to grow up enjoyed the water slides quite a bit! The hot tub was also nice as was the pool bar. There are lockers and showers at the pool, so we made this our activity after checking out. This pool is definitely one of our favorite pools ever!

Bus transportation was generally good. Most of the time, waits were short. There are many bus stops, so depending upon where you board the bus, you may find most seats taken or a longer trip as it circles the resort before departing. A resort only bus circles the resort constantly, providing service to Old Port Royale and Custom's House (the front desk). Note that some park buses take the bus loop in the opposite direction. This can be a bit confusing after returning from a late night at a park!

Bell service and the Magical Express were fantastic. Bell services drove us and our luggage right to Customs House where we able to both check our luggage and check in for the flight home. The bellman and the "hosts" at the airline/luggage check-in could not have been more friendly and gracious. They really provided the perfect ending to a fantastic vacation.

The Caribbean Beach Resort (or at least the room we stayed in) could benefit from a rehab, which would probably raise my rating to five stars. This may be the oldest moderate resort at Disney World, but the excellent service and loverly grounds made up for that. We'd stay there again without a doubt.

Room Tip: As for a room near Old Port Royale. Note there are no elevators, so if stairs are a problem ask for...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank FlyingRhino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,749)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fairhope, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed the first week of December. The weather was fantastic, the view of the lake was very peaceful. However for the money, we were very displeased with the beds and the size of the room. Our biggest complaint was the food court. Not one thing taste good besides the muffins. Each day was crowded and frustrating. With a size resort like this the food court should have double the amount of seats with a few more options. Kudos to all the bus drivers, each one was pleasant and very much appreciated.

1 Thank Pennybad
Painesville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed here mainly because it was the only resort offering the free dining plan, but we enjoy all things Caribbean as well. If you have read the other reviews, you probably have a good idea of what to expect. It is an absolutely beautiful resort, but very big. The island in the lake is really cool with a playground in one area and a couple of hammocks in other quiet little areas on it. We requested and received a room closer to the food court and pool. If we had been stuck in one of the far away villages I don't think that we would have enjoyed it as much. You can take an internal shuttle but that takes time too, we were grateful to be able to have a short walk. Yes the food court is crowded and loud but I've yet to see a Disney resort food court that isn't. The food was typical Disney food, overpriced but it didn't matter being on the dining plan. The rooms are getting dated and one day we did notice that it felt damp in the room but we put on the air conditioning and that seemed to take care of it. We did not notice any bad odors or mold as others did. The worst part of the room is the size of the beds, only full size which was way too small for my wife and I (we aren't large people either). We requested and received a fold away bed, which was comfortable so that took care of that issue. The resort has a nice location, close to Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney. The pool was fantastic, it looks like an old Spanish fort and has 2 slides. Although it wasn't especially warm during our stay the water was nicely heated and our kids used it several times. The deck behind the pool/bar area has a great view of the Epcot fireworks at night, which was a lot of fun. As always we found the customer service to be top notch. All in all we really enjoyed our visit, but if things had gone differently (far away village or no fold away bed), we may not have. I understand the rooms are scheduled for renovation in 2014. If that includes switching to queen size beds the resort will be a true gem.

Room Tip: Request a room close to the pool/food court area. We were in Martinique and it was a fantastic locat...
1 Thank Jason P
Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort for two nights prior to boarding our Disney Fantasy cruise. While the hotel is ranked as a "moderate" Disney resort, it's not cheap--it cost us $250 per night or so. We had an awful experience.

First, the check-in was incredibly slow. It was almost like they were caught completely unprepared for a full house, which they seemed to have since there was a cheer competition going on...plus, it's the Christmas season. And then...

When we finally did make it to our pirate-themed room (cute), it was dirty. Dust was caked on the sprinkler system. The toilet didn't flush correctly. The water stank of chlorine. But the worst part is yet to come...

After a full day at the Magic Kingdom, we got back to our room--our 3-year old asleep on my husband's shoulder. None of our Mickey bands worked to unlock the door. Since they're still testing the bands, we brought our key cards as backup. None of our key cards worked either. My husband found and used a house phone to call for some help. He was told that there was high call volume and was put on hold. I called the front desk from my mobile phone to ask for help. I told explained the situation (sleeping toddler/locked out) and requested that someone come immediately to our room to let us back in. The woman on the other end of the line was extraordinarily condescending, asking me if I tried all of the Mickey bands (yes, I had) and key cards (yes, I had), and then telling me that they were very busy and a runner would meet us at our room when they had a moment. She believed it was user error on my part. UNACCEPTABLE! I asked to speak with a manager. The woman took my mobile phone number and told me the manager would call me back.

We sat in front of our door for a half hour before the runner showed up. As it turned out, the runner couldn't get in either-- the batteries in the door were dead and needed to be changed. We waited for maintenance to come and change the batteries. Apparently they are supposed to be changed regularly. Ours just weren't.

It's been a week and I'm still waiting for the manager to call me back. I am a frequent traveler for both business and pleasure and I have never experienced customer service this poor. I expect MUCH more from Disney. I won't ever stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort again. The only reason I have two stars is because the bus system was great.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank BFM424
Romeo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We went during the first week in December. The weather was perfect. We have gone a lot of times during the summer where you have to deal with 95 degree heat and humidity. However, this time the weather was amazing.

We first checked into the hotel at around 8:30 at night after taking the Magical Express in from the airport. We were the first hotel to be dropped off at. My mom and I went to check in. We were greeted right away and my 3 year old was entertained by a lady and taken to a small table and given a picture to color. I was scared of where our room was to be located because I know of the sheer size of this resort. We were lucky and located in the Barbados section looking out at the quiet pool. We were about a 5 minute walk to the Old Port Royale. We went there right away to get a dinner after we got into our room that was ready.

We used the magic bands and they were great. We did have some troubles with my dad's and were told to see the concierge. A wonderful woman named Judy helped us out and even gave my daughter a magic princess wand. We never had problems with it again.

Our room was of average size. I know a lot of people complain about room size. However, how much time do you really spend in your rooms?? It's Disney! We had enough room for 4 people (3 adults and 1 preschooler) and all of the souvenirs from the parks. The rooms were very well insulated and we never heard any outside noise which was great considering the big Pop Warner tournament was happening when we were there.

Awesome pool! They also provide life vests at pool side for free. So you can save room in your suitcase and use one of theirs. They also have towels poolside as well.

The bus time was never a problem, however, we always left with time to spare. My daughter had an appointment at the Bibidi Bobidi Boutique at 1:00 we were at the bus stop at 11:45, by the time the bus came and dropped us off at Downtown Disney it was 12:20. So we had a little over a 1/2 hour to spare which is easy because there is shopping to do!

A good tip-- When checking into a Dining Reservation you can check in 15 minutes prior to your reservation time. I wish we would have known this. We had reservations at Germany in Epcot for 7:50. After you check in you still have to wait 15-30 minutes for your table to be ready. It goes in the order of who checked in first. We did not end up sitting down until almost 8:30. I wish I would have known about the 15 minutes early part to get the ball rolling a little sooner.

Be sure to download the My Disney Experience app on your Smart phone too! It saved all of our fastpass times, dinner reservations, and park hours/events. When my one of my dad's fastpass was not working on his magic band I pulled out my app and showed the lady that he was indeed on our fastpass time and she let him right in. It is free too!

3 Thank Ryan C
Hazlet, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a cheer competition from 12/9-12/12. We stayed in "Jamaica". Our room smelled musty and so did 4 other rooms in our building. The room had fruit flies all over. We called the desk twice and got no where. Getting food was a hike. You had to walk a half mile to get coffee or a snack. The food was okay. The staff was not friendly. I was surprised that a Disney didn't hold higher standards when it comes to servicing customers. I will not return to this resort any time soon.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

The check in process was slow. There was no one in line when I walked in, but the lady who checked us in moved like molasses. I kindly said 2 different times that we were in a hurry to get to the park for the Very Merry Christmas party, but that didn't seem to change a thing. Once we made it to our room, we were very happy. I am so glad we payed the extra for the pirate room. It was very cute and my son loved it. Our room (3409) had a horrible smell though. We were in such a rush to get to the park that we didn't notify the front desk. When we arrived later that night, it was awful. But my family and i were so exhausted, we just went right to sleep. The transportation buses our great. They take you to and from all the parks along with internal transportation in the resort. We did not get to experience any of the activities or the main area in the resort where the big pool, dining, entertainment, etc are. Hopefully next time!!

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so if you are handicapped or can't walk up stairs, make sure to request...
1 Thank MattAndRhi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!