“Pretty close to paradise!”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #152 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The Disney Caribbean Beach Resort was a great experience for my family of four this past December! We stayed in Jamaica 43 - there are several blocks of buildings, each named for a Caribbean island - ours was close enough to the central building and bus transport - each block has its own quiet pool, laundry and sand beach - complete with palm trees, beach chairs and comfy hammocks! It is a large resort and involves a bit of walking, but the landscaping is gorgeous and so pleasant - it really feels like a bit of island paradise! The only true drawback is that most rooms only have double beds - almost unheard of these days in higher priced resorts! But they all have a separate vanity area from the bathroom, lots of storage space, room safes and refrigerators - and updated furnishings a la "Finding Nemo" - and our room was clean! The food court had a range of options for food - including healthy options. Concierge service was top notch! Definitely worth a try if you like laid back, tropical ambiance.

Room Tip: Request rooms near to Port Royale (main building) about one week before arrival - usually pretty acc...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Heidi Z
Write a ReviewReviews (7,721)

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Pirate ship beds.. Pirate ship pool.. Easy transportation to the parks.. Affordable.. Sounds attractive right? Wrong. The reality: Dirty. Small. Inconvenient.

Dirty: Brought the kids back after our first day in the park. Planned on baths and bed. Tub was gross. So I scrubbed as best I could. Then I knelt down to wash the baby. As I looked left, I noticed black dirt and dust. Not sure how I missed when I was scrubbing, but I did. So gross! Called housekeeping in a fury and they sent someone out the next morning. Cleaning crew comes and goes - still filthy! Dust around the beds, petrified gummy bears and hair all over. We spent as much time out of the room as possible after that. I'd suggest the same for you.

Small: I've been in larger vehicles than this room. If you're coming with a family of four, this room is not right for you.

Inconvenient: Five minute walk to the bus. Twenty minute wait for the bus you need to arrive. Ten to fifteen minutes to get to the park. Then have your bag checked and rent a stroller. If you have small children, this is not ideal. No amount if Disney hype can make an uncomfortable two year old happy.

The moral of the story, stay somewhere else. Anywhere else.

*gave it two instead if one star, because the pirate ship bed was cool!

Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank MDperuta
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is our favorite Disney resort. After a crowded day at the park there's so many nooks with hammocks and private pools to get away to a peaceful spot and relax. The theming is bright and airy. You can watch the fireworks from EPCOT from the Island in the lake. Caribbean music plays in the background of the main areas, the main pool is awesome and the rooms are comfortable and a nice size. The food at the resort is great and the bus service is good too. We've stayed at the Trinidad North spot and Aruba. And will stay here next time, too. Watching the sunsets and sunrises from the beach.. Very relaxing and beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2013
5  Thank Shutterbri
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is my family’s fourth trip to Disney. We were a group of four with my wife and two daughters- five and two. My girls love Disney World and we have previously stayed at Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter and All Star Sports in the last couple years.

I’ll elaborate further below, but in short: Caribbean Beach Resort is my least favorite Disney property.

On this trip we drove to Disney and arrived around 8:30 in the morning. We were advised that we could ‘check in’ and activate our magic bands and then proceed to the parks if there were no rooms available, but reception was determined to find us a room. The process took about 30-45 minutes even though there was no line and involved multiple calls and utilizing a manager. It was nice to have a room to check into in the AM so I guess waiting was worth it.

We were assigned a standard room in Martinique, building 23 on the second floor overlooking an interior courtyard. Please note that there are no elevators at Caribbean Beach. Which isn't a deal breaker, but a small inconvenience as coming and going with a stroller required loading/unloading the girls and then carrying the double-wide unit up and down the flight of stairs.

The room itself was unimpressive and seemed small and dingy. I couldn’t close the cabinet holding the fridge as the fridge was too big. The sink overflow leaked a lot of water onto the floor, which I noticed as I was washing our resort mugs and had to use most of the fresh towels to clean up. The light fixtures were very dusty and the bathroom looked well worn. Beds/sheets were comfy but just didn't seem quite clean. Jokes aside, the room did remind me of one from a real resort located in the Caribbean. Fairly clean/adequate, but not quite what you would expect from a resort in the US.

Martinique is connected to Old Port Royale and our room was about a seven to ten minute walk. Not too bad, but be aware that other ‘islands’ will have a considerable trek. Others have said it but I’ll reinforce- being in an area further away could take a 20 minute or longer stroll.
The grounds themselves were well kept and the pool area around Old Port Royale was very nice. My girls loved the pools, the play area and the slides.

Food was standard for Moderates and we ate breakfast and had some snacks there a few times.

While its not specific to this property, I’m not overwhelmed by the Magicbands and RFID embedded in things.

Case in point- we were on the Dining plan and received 3 refillable mugs. The mugs have an embedded chip that allows the drink dispensers to activate and fill, but only for an amount of time that Disney thinks it will take to fill a mug. My daughter who was under three was allowed to share from the dining plan, and on prior visits we would just let her use her own cup for a drink in the morning; but now with ‘RapidFill’ I couldn't get her a drink without using one of our mugs and then transferring the drink to her cup… Of course then I had to wait a couple minutes until I was allowed by the system to get another refill, standing in a busy food court while a timer ticked down on a soft drink dispenser so I could fill up 3 cents worth of Coke Zero for myself got old real fast. Not impressed at that level of nickel and diming especially when I should be allowed to share the dining perks with someone under 3.

On a positive note it was nice to see Disney offer real coffee not the Nescafe instant stuff and I was pleased to see Coke Zero available.

To me the amazing portion of Disney is the attention to detail in everything from theming of the line waiting to get on a ride to the subtle attention to walkways and benches and street lights. At Disney everything is thought out from the biggest to the little things. Seeing an absence of attention to detail at Caribbean Beach was a disappointment. That being said, I will be choosing another resort next year and may very well return to Pop Century or Port Orleans French Quarter as those were fantastic stays. (As info those properties were renovated in the last couple years and are really nice value.)

Just in close while the above seems a bit harsh, we had a great time at Disney, it was magical and our girls loved every minute of it. I can’t wait to return.

Some tips:
Ask for a first room floor if you will have difficulty climbing stairs or have a lot to carry and small children.

Ask for a room closer to Port Royale to avoid a long walk. As info a family we met staying at Caribbean Beach who were upgraded to a preferred room, but were still further away than our standard.

Room Tip: Ask for a first room floor if you will have difficulty climbing stairs or have a lot to carry and sm...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank grminalac
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Hi, we stayed at Caribbean Beach for the first time in late October. We stayed in the Martinique village which worked quite well. The resort is very large, staying within a 5 minute walk to the main pool was a plus.

We had free dining which was helpful, the food options at the resort were ok, it gets repetitive after a few days. Our room was ok, we knew it wouldn't compare to their deluxe resort rooms but we did find it cleaned well.

The standout for us was the pool experience. It was a big hit with our children and we enjoyed it as well. Nicely themed, the only challenge if you have young ones is there's lots of ways for you to lose sight of them in the current design, stay close... there lots of nooks and crannies as they wander and could get into water out of your sight easily. The lifeguards are very attentive there as with all Disney pool so that's a huge plus.

Our sons enjoyed the games by the pool. The one game we complained about to management was where kids share a wet tang top tshirt for relay races...it weighs the young kids down too much and is a scary experience for the younger/weaker swimmers. Otherwise no complaints, the kids had a ball each day.

We have a great travel agent that helped with the Disney arrangements and had great Orlando advice in general..... Jennifer Toren (Jennifer@tripguy.com) if you are in need of someone. Their company also specializes in trips to Beaches Resorts which we've done and loved.

Room Tip: Martinique Village was a good location
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank MrBeachSunSand
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Rooms average for Disney Moderate resort . Food court was ok at food court.No swimming allowed at "beaches" . For moderate like Port Orleans better. No gym on site only a running or walking trail around lake.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Other Trip Advisor reviews gave us a bit of trepidation about staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort, but we decided to give it a shot since the reported pluses seemed to beat out the minuses and we had a great price. It is true, the place is HUGE. Staying in one of the far buildings would in fact, suck. We asked for a building close to the Old Port Royale, and received a room in Jamaica, a short walk from everywhere.

The room itself could really use a complete rehab. It was clean, but the carpet was ripped, there were water stains on the ceiling, and it was a bit worn. On the plus side, it was spacious, the decor was simple, but bright and the bed (a king) was comfy. There were plenty of towels and plenty of light.

Caribbean Beach Resort grounds are gorgeous. I wish we had more time to enjoy one of the many scattered seeing areas or sit on the white sand sand beach, but alas, the theme parks (and Food & Wine Festival) beckoned. Caribbean Cay, the island that connects the two halves of the resort was particularly gorgeous. It features towering palm trees, lush vegetation and quiet nooks for reading or just relaxing and enjoying the scenery. The playground is also on the cay, but it was still plenty quiet.

Although the food court in Old Port Royale has less choices than some of the other food courts, the food was consistently very good and a bargain by Disney standards. The cast members at the food court were amongst the nicest CMs we've encountered anywhere. The Caribbean specialty pastries were excellent, as were the other specialities we tried. Pizza & burgers and such were the same as any Disney resort. Seating alway seemed to be plentiful and the tables spotless. Disney finally replaced the horrid coffee from concentrate they used to serve with fresh brewed coffee. This caused occasional short waits (they were still working the kinks out of the system), but the real coffee is worth a little hassle.

The pool resembles the town in Pirates of the Caribbean and is beautiful. This big kid who refuses to grow up enjoyed the water slides quite a bit! The hot tub was also nice as was the pool bar. There are lockers and showers at the pool, so we made this our activity after checking out. This pool is definitely one of our favorite pools ever!

Bus transportation was generally good. Most of the time, waits were short. There are many bus stops, so depending upon where you board the bus, you may find most seats taken or a longer trip as it circles the resort before departing. A resort only bus circles the resort constantly, providing service to Old Port Royale and Custom's House (the front desk). Note that some park buses take the bus loop in the opposite direction. This can be a bit confusing after returning from a late night at a park!

Bell service and the Magical Express were fantastic. Bell services drove us and our luggage right to Customs House where we able to both check our luggage and check in for the flight home. The bellman and the "hosts" at the airline/luggage check-in could not have been more friendly and gracious. They really provided the perfect ending to a fantastic vacation.

The Caribbean Beach Resort (or at least the room we stayed in) could benefit from a rehab, which would probably raise my rating to five stars. This may be the oldest moderate resort at Disney World, but the excellent service and loverly grounds made up for that. We'd stay there again without a doubt.

Room Tip: As for a room near Old Port Royale. Note there are no elevators, so if stairs are a problem ask for...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank FlyingRhino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
1 mi away
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!