“No worries! A magical escape to the CBR-”

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Ranked #150 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“No worries! A magical escape to the CBR-”
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Though I had read many negative reviews about the CBR, from the moment my husband and I checked in on May 24th to our automatic Express Checkout a week later, we had nothing but magical experiences. We were given a room in Aruba building 52, with a great water view and very close to the pool. We didn’t get a king bed as requested, but the resort was full and I know they would’ve given it to us if they could have. Though there were kids in the pool almost constantly, it really wasn’t that noisy, and is to be expected at a family resort. The room was very clean, (Mousekeeping was great- leave tips and you will be rewarded with even better service!) and obviously one of the most recently-renovated Nemo rooms. The grounds were absolutely beautiful- other than the bunnies and ducks wandering around, we would’ve sworn we were back in Jamaica on our honeymoon (the main reason we picked CBR to celebrate our anniversary in the first place!) The beaches are lovely and there are several hammocks to occupy any extra down-time you have. Yes, the resort is large and as such is often crowded, but if you aren’t in a huge hurry (which you shouldn’t be- you’re on vacation!) then the walk over to Old Port Royale for food, etc. is really quite enjoyable. Speaking of food, there is a good variety, and the Mickey waffles are great, but I would always recommend eating in the parks or the deluxe resorts anyway- as always, you get what you pay for. Since we drove down, we did not use the bus system and drove around the resort ourselves, which is always a better option. I would even go so far as to recommend those who fly down to rent a car if you’re in the area for any length of time- it’s just easier, and resort guests park free everywhere. The buses are a great thing to have, but they do require time management and patience! In short, from our experience, all signs point to this being a great resort for the price, a relaxing tropical escape that is a great extension of the Disney magic! As they would say in Jamaica- No problem! No worries! Look for the little magical things and it will all add up to a fantastic stay.

3 Thank btlegrljessi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,784)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bishops Stortford
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I have just stayed in a pirate room for two weeks at the Carribbean Beach and cannot wait to go back !!!!!!!!!!! These people who say that the resort is too big have obviously not read the description of the resort. We stayed in Trinidad South and it was terrific, no noise to contend with, room serviced everyday, bed linen changed every two days. Disney transport was excellent, never waited for more than ten minutes and allways got a seat. The pool at Old Port Royal was really good for the kids, everything you needed on a day to day basis could be bought in the shops. Food was good in Shutters restaraunt although I could not eat there every night.Front of house staff and the bell boys were a credit to the hotel. The gardens were immaculate. I really do think that some people are born to complain. If I was one of them I would stay in my rocking chair and just let the world go by. As we all know you get what you pay for in this world and the Disney Carribbean Resort is worth every penny, if you want 5* pay for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Thank Pete D
Edmonton
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Our family stayed here from May10th to 18th 2009, and quite frankly, I'm not sure where all these negative reviews come from, I mean, its like we stayed at a different hotel alltogether. This place was spotless, very friendly and very convenient. The pools were great -one located at every 'complex' and one central one in the Old Port Royale area -they were easily accessible and great fun for the kids.

We never waited more than 10 minutes for the buses to the various Disney parks, and found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. Had a few luggage issues that required transfering our luggage from one hotel to another at the beginning and end of our stay, and the staff were right on top of it. I even tried to tip one of the bell hops and he refused saying "oh no, its my pleasure sir"! How often does that happen?

Overall, if you are thinking of the CB Resort I would say "go for it", and have a great time.

1 Thank marvanEdmonton
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2009

We loved the layout of the rooms, the room service and the check-in staff who were so cordial and accomadating upon check-in.

I cannot speak for any other rooms, but we stayed in the newly remodeled pirate-themed rooms and we were in shock! We were in the Trinidad buildings all the way in the back, but it was so quiet and nice that we thought we were in a different country, not smack-dab in the middle of Disney.

Upon arrival, after unpacking we searched out our surroundings and my daughter and I found three little bunnies playing in the bushes. We could get really close to them, they were so cute!! If you look for it, there is disney magic everywhere, the birds, the bunnies, the lush and tropical surroundings set the tone for our vacation.

I highly recommend this place for people who have their own cars, because you can just drive straight to the parks w/o having to wait on disney transportation.

I don't understand those people who were complaining about the long walks. We were in the VERY back (Building 39) and we walked to the main pool (old port royal) in about 15 minutes. We stopped at the middle hammocks along the way, and watched the fireworks at epcot. Talk about a dream!! Instead of being in the parks fighting everyone to get home, I laid in my hammock in my bathing suit and enjoyed the show!

There is a food court where everyone could eat breakfast, lunch or dinner, and a restaurant called Shutters that we tried to get into for dinner but they were full. I didn't realize you would have to make reservations for those too!:) The dinner prices here were very expensive ($8-$12) for a cheeseburger and fries, but breakfast was the best deal. On the last day we checked out, we ate breakfast here, the wait was about 20 minutes, but you get your money's worth! I got a steak and eggs quesadilla for $5.25, and a HUGE child's size 2 mickey (belgian waffle's) with three strips of bacon for $4.75.

We have never stayed with Disney before, last year when we went, we stayed off property, and boy do I wish we had always stayed on disney property. Parking at the parks was free (instead of the $12 fee per day). You get to use your room key (your key to the world!) instead of whipping out your credit card/bank cards or cash, it just made it convenient. Be careful though, because it's easy to lose track of how much you spend, and you don't get an itemized list until the last day (ouch!)

Some tips for Disneyworld:

Go with a game plan! I purchased "The unofficial guide to walt disneyworld" and it was the best 20 bucks I ever spent! It's ok to have things planned out, you are spending your hard earned money, why not enjoy it..
Basically, with the help of the book, we rode everything in every park by noon (sometimes 10am!) and were able to enjoy the rest of the day for lunch (which I made reservations 90 days before) and then go back to the hotel to swim.

Plan your days at which park according to where you want to eat. If you want to splurge a few days and eat at a nice sit-down restaurant, you have to plan for it. Unless you want to eat counter-service every day (hamburgers and fries can get old) you must call about 3 months ahead! Just keep all of your confirmation numbers written down somewhere and bring it with you to the parks.
I don't want to go into too much detail, because much of my information I got from the book..
Have fun, I have taken many vacations, and Disneyworld is on the top of my list!

2 Thank TxGrrl
Boston
Reviewed 29 May 2009

I'm not picky about hotels. I have stayed at Disney's All-Star and Pop Century many times. Let me begin this review by insisting that if you want to stay at Disney Property, the Pop Century is a much better value that the Carribean Beach Resort not only because it is significantly cheaper but because the rooms are nicer/newer/cleaner.
The Carribean Beach resort is old, large, hard to get around and frankly falling apart.
When we arrived, we were assigned a nightmarish room in Aruba. Since it was the further possible room from Old Port Royale, I'm sure it wasn't stayed in much but the bed skirt was stained (looked like blood or feces). The sheets had holes in them. The drawers were missing a handle so there was just the sharp silver prong sticking out. The bug guard was missing on the bottom of the room so the room was literally filled with insects. I'm a grown man who loves Disney and I almost started crying when I saw the room. I was shocked and appalled that this was a Disney resort.
Of course, I complained and they couldn't move me that night but they did move us the next day. However, they insisted we walk over to the main check-in and check-out and check back in (We were staying 8 days). Then, they had us check our bags with the bell check because the room wasn't available. Then, they found a room that was available, and so we asked for our bags back. The bell check guy in charge had us wait awhile and then told us "just go to the park, your bags will be in your room when you return."
When we return at 6 pm, our bags are not there. I call bag check and am on hold for over 1 hour. I call the front desk who tell me they must be busy and I must come down.
Now, if you have never stayed here, this resort is huge, mammoth and despite the internal bus system, a real pain to get around. We hike over to the check-in where all the bell people are just loitering (not busy at all - just not answering the phone). Then, we ask for our bags and we ask for a ride back to the other side of the resort. It's very very far. They tell us "we don't have anyone available right now." We wait and wait. Then, finally, we are told we need to bring our bags back ourselves. You can not take your bags on the internal shuttle bus, so we need to walk from the check in to the other side fo the resort with the bags. When we get there, there are 4 valets with their little carts just sitting our front chatting, obviously not busy at all - infuriating. The newer room is okay, broken blinds but at least the bug guard is there and it looks cleaner.
The next day, my bottle of over the counter sleep aids is empty (I kid you not) after the room is cleaned so I need to put all of this kind of stuff in the safe.
The buses to this hotel run no more frequently than any other resort but since it's the largest resort, that means the buses are always the most crowded. You will rarely get a seat, and since the bus makes multiple stops at every island, it takes longer to get to and from parks as you hang on for your life in a bus as crowded as the ones you see in developing nations.
All through our visit, we heard the current Disney Mantra "What are you Celebrating?" and my partner joked "We are celebrating leaving the Carribean Beach Resort."
Honestly, if I could give this hotel a zero rating I would. Don't stay here. It's old, broken-down, not up to Best Western standards, and if it were a $50 hotel room instead of a $175 one, my review would not be so vitriolic!

6 Thank Jason69850
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort May 12th to the 19th. The room was on the Martinique side and they were doing renovations. The only reason I know this was because I saw the people, otherwise the barely made noise. Also until I saw other children, I though we were the only people with children in our building. The rooms are super quiet. But the rooms are nothing special. The bed was comfortable and the water slide at the main pool are awesome. Every set of buildings has there own beach (no swimming allowed) and pool which is nice if you do not want to walk to the main pool. At Disney, the idea is not to stay in the room, just change clothes and sleep.
As for the Disney Parks, as always, it was great.

montreal, canada
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Clean and friendly staff, suggest get rooms closer to Old Port Royal ( main pool/resto) or else nice long walks.
definitely get the meal plan or it becomes very $$
Shutters ( tasty Caribbean flavor food, choose steak option)
food court at resort has great breakfast choices ( mexican tortilla wrap with beans, eggs and salsa or just micky waffles)
Pirate rooms are situated in Trinidad 12 (large and come with mini fridge) also close to laundry facility, private pool, park area on the beach and steps away from bus to parks.
Bus service to and from Resort: good almost every 20 min, never waited longer for any.
In general, if you want to Stay in Disney and get a feel of the Caribbean stay at this resort!
want to go back....

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Been to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort? Share your experiences!