3,361 results
All reviews california grill garden wing contempo cafe chef mickey magic kingdom grand floridian bay lake view theme park view atrium club level main tower disney world counter space monorail access tower room monorail line monorail service water parade
Reviewed 13 April 2009

My wife and I took our two daughters (ages 4 1/2 and 2) to Disney for the first time. We chose the Contemporary for its proximity to the Magic Kingdom and for the Chef Mickey's restaurant in the hotel. The stay was as we expected. Disney is certainly overpriced compared to the outside world and the food at the hotel is certainly not worth the price were it served outside the grounds of Walt's world, but if you know that going in and you remember that the vacation is for the kids, it's all worth it.
Our room was adequate. 2 queens on the side facing the Magic Kingdom as requested. A pack and play and refridgerator were present as requested as well. Adequate storage for our 6 day stay including plenty of hanger space. The two sinks were nice as it made getting ready easier in the mornings. Plenty of pillows were available and a pull-out couch was also in the room (we didn't use it). The large flat screen TV offers your expected channels plus a multitude of Disney channels, of course.
We visited each park (Magic Kingdom twice). It was packed (they closed MK on two days as the park had reached capacity), but we weren't riding any roller coasters, so we were able to pick and choose our few rides and make days of character greetings and shows. I was impressed with the number of shows at Hollywood Studios. All appealed to both kiddos, especially the older one. She was in her glory. We had breakfast at Akershurs with the princesses at Epcot and lunch at the Castle another day with the princesses. We also had dinner at Chef Mickey's with the basic characters-the little one loved Minnie and Donald. Again, it's not gourmet food, but you pay to see your little princess live her dream. Make sure you call 3 months in advance to get those reservations!
We had dinner at The Wave in the Contemporary once. Not bad, but no real identity as to what their theme is. The Cafe in the Grand Floridian was much better food-wise for the same prices. I would also recommend getting reservations several days in advance if you are planning sit down type meals for dinner. My favorite dinner was at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK. Family style with incredible beef, pork, gravy and a giant apple crisp a la mode to share for dessert. We did do the basic dining plan and only ran short of sit down meals because the lunch with the princesses counts double against your meal plan. Otherwise we came out perfect with snacks and quick meals.
To me, Disney is about the experience. We were there to give our older girl her dream vacation and to get some relaxation. The Disney folks accomplished this and then some. The employees are so pleasant and so eager to make every child smile that you just can't help but appreciate their effort. They made our life easy by taking care of our luggage on the Magical Express so we didn't have to cart it to and from the airport. The transportation system ran like clockwork (except for the afternoon of an auto accident that partially damaged a monorail pylon-so we took a boat!)

Date of stay: April 2009
7  Thank irisharpe
Reviewed 12 April 2009

my brother and two grandchildren stayed at the CONTEMPORARY TOWERS for a week in march/april of 2009. what a beautiful room and every nite at nine we watched amazing fireworks from our private balconey. love this resort. i am going again in oct and the contemporary it will again for me. we stayed in the main tower and though it cost more it was worth it.

Date of stay: March 2009
4  Thank tankytucall
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My wife was at a convention so we stayed at the Contemporary. The pool was fun for the kids with the water slide. The marina watercraft rental was fun for the kids. Our room was spacious and cozy. The deck had a beautiful view of the Magic Kingdom. The monerail was great because we could go to Maigc Kingdom & Epcot. The food court was good for when we needed a bite to eat. The Chef Mickey's was a hit with our younger daughter. She loved meeting mickey and friends. The buffet was all you can eat so it was great. We loved the fireworks one night. But my daughter who really wanted to see them fell asleep before them. The German Restaurant at Epcot for some reason gave my daughter a bad stomach ache and had to go bakc to the hotel on the monorail. The gift shop was awesome becuase it had medicine for my daughter. My son and wife stayed to watch the refelctions thing at Epcot. I think it was a great hotel but the German Restaurant at Epcot should really fix their food!

Date of stay: July 2008
3  Thank skifamily34
Reviewed 3 April 2009

Returned from our first visit to the Contemporary yesterday. We stayed in the Garden Wing room 6128, which is first floor pretty near the beach/pool. Had a good trip, great weather. Miss it already.

Have done Polynesian for our past trips. There were pros and cons of the CR compared to Poly for us.

Of course the biggest pro is the monorail running through. My kids enjoyed the pool. They are 9, 6 and 4. We were able to get a life vest for the 4 yr old. He doesn't like going under so he stuck to the steps mainly but he had fun. The older 2 swam all over and really enjoyed the slide. We've only been to the Poly in January so it's hard to compare the pools since we didn't use the Poly one much. I do like how the Poly has the zero entry. My 4 yr old would have preferred that to the steps. They did have movies on the beach several nights but we only watched a bit one evening.

We ate breakfast at Chef Mickeys, ate dinner a couple times at Contempo Cafe, and one lunch at the Sand Bar. Food was good at all. Sand Bar worker was a bit rude.

I liked being close to the pool but I do wish we were in the tower. I felt a bit detached from everything.

As for the room. I know it is said that they are bigger than Poly but it seemed smaller to me. It may just be the layout. I HATED the sinks at the CR and the lack of counter space. Didn't care for the doors on the bathrooms either, not very private. Overall the rooms at the Poly are much better in my opinion. I didn't care for the CR theming in the rooms compared to Poly.

Overall I prefer the Poly theming to the CR but it wasn't bad at the CR. The long walk from the room to the tower was so drab compared to the Poly but there was a huge construction fence up around the pool area so that is what we would walk by every day so not much of a view. It may be different when the fencing is not there.

We used the Magic Express and we were in our room all checked in within 90 minutes of landing in the plane. CR was the last bus stop too. We used the bus to go to the Hollywood Studios, and Winter Summerland golf and it was quick and painless. Used the walkway to Magic Kingdom once, seemed a bit long. Used the monorail for everything else.

Staff was friendly. Housekeeping was very poor. Our room was a bit dirty when we arrived. The wall of the shower was literally coated with chunks of long brown hair that I had to wash down the drain before I could use it. It did blend a bit with the marble so maybe housekeeping didn't see it? Even though we'd put the towels on the floor every night we'd never get all of them replaced. One night we were only left with 2 large towels. Several nights no hand towels and several nights no washcloths. We got by okay though. The worst thing was we found a bed bug on a pillow. Now it was about half way through the stay and I went to get in bed and moved a pillow. There was the bug on the pillow underneath. It was brown and about the size of an apple seed. I put it in a ziploc and searched for evidence of more bugs. I didn't see anything. I've never seen a bed bug and I thought they were much smaller. This looked to me like a tick but different than the ticks in Nebraska. Since I saw no evidence of any other bugs and none of us were itching we didn't complain. When I got home I googled bed bugs and there is no question that is what it is. I still have my ziploc and it's still alive after 7 days and has laid some eggs! Wish I would have complained now. I have all my laundry and luggage in the garage so hopefully we avoided bringing anything home. I have composed a letter to Disney with pictures about the matter so they can at least fumigate that room. I doubt nor do I expect that they'll do anything for me.

Overall if you want a deluxe hotel on the monorail line go for the Poly over the CR. I would only return if the deal was good enough but I'd choose a tower room next time.

Date of stay: March 2009
2  Thank Shel28
Reviewed 24 March 2009

This place is great. It is worth the extra cost for a Magic Kingdom View. You will be glad you did.
Everyone was helpful and friendly that we encountered.
As far as the sinks go, not a big deal in my opinion. Plenty of room underneath the sinks. So what if you might have to bend down. Probably good for your body to use some muscles.
The pools are very nice.
House keeping did a great job,our room was clean and I am picky.
My kids favorite hotel at Disney is the Contemporary. It is a toss up for me, I like the Grand Floridians Lobby and Port Orleans Riverside price tag. (Bang for the buck)

We were on a top floor and didnt hear any hotel noise so I can't comment on that.

We loved our stay here.