“Dazzling!”

Ranked #88 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Tampa, Florida
“Dazzling!”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I have had the pleasure of going to Disney World five times, and have stayed here each time. It's truly amazing! I feel like I'm in a lush tropical paradise there! The grounds are gorgeous, the rooms are pretty, and the accommodations are excellent too! Everything about it is excellent. Really. I also loved the Character Breakfasts at the O'hana-so fun! All the restaurants and shopping there is amazing too! Also, proximity to the Magic Kingdom is a plus! You can also get anywhere in the Disney grounds directly from the hotel. I strongly recommend this amazing hotel! If you go to Disney for ANY occasion, do stay here! It's truly the best. My family and I are very happy with it every time!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank blondie1121

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gilroy, CA
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We are currently staying here for 4 nights after our cruise for the first time. I think the only better location is at the Beach or Yacht Club but then I like Epcot. You are a quick walk to the transportation center but have the Monorail stop upstairs in the main lobby that takes you to Magic Kingdom. We got a lagoon view and were able to see the electric boat parade and the Magic Kingdom fireworks from our room. One word of warning, if you want to eat at kona or ohana ( or anywhere in WDW) MAKE RESERVATIONS as soon as they let you (90 days? Sooner?) so that you don't miss out on great food and fun. I just don't think Disney really clues their guests in on this feature when they reserve. Most of the better places in WDW you really need to reserve. We typically plan our dinners ahead especially when we plan our park visits. Makes it easier for everyone.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to state preferences. Ask if you have questions and a typical room with 2 queens...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SueTGGR
Tennessee
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My favorite part of this hotel was being right on the monorail. All you had to do was go to the ceremonial house and jump on the monorail. The monorail usually comes around every 2 minutes or so. It is truly a convenience worth paying for. The staff was excellent. They were always smiling and willing to help. I loved watching through the door and having someone greet you and put a lei on you. It truly makes it feel like a tropical paradise. The grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. The quick service at Captain Cook's was very convenient. We had the disney dining plan so we could refill our mug there anytime for free.
My absolute favorite thing about the Polynesian was being able to watch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom on their beach. They played the music through the speakers. It truly made it magical. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank cjsj
Reviewed 21 June 2012

For our honeymoon we couldnt decide between somewhere in the caribbean or disney. We knew if we went to an island we would sit on the beach or in the pool and not move all week. So we opted for disney and this resort was as close to the island feel as you could get! The food a the quickserve was really good. I believe it was called capt. Cooks. The pulled pork sandwich was amazing! We also ate at the kona cafe. I still dream about the bread and the macadamia nut butter! The monorail pulls up right at the front. The bus stop was in the front also. Its disney so everything is easy and convenient to get to. You can walk to the grand floridian. The main pool was closed for part of our trip and they provided boat shuttles to the grand floridian for their pool. The one day we had planned to spend around the resort and the pool was the day that the pool closed. I wish we had known before because i am a planner so i had each day planned. It wasnt a big deal though, we spend the day in the smaller pool. We had a fantastic time. I would stay here again!

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rachel S
Daphne, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2012

The grounds of the Polynesian very pretty. The staff was very nice and the location was great you could hop right on the monorals. It was great to watch the fireworks from the resort at night. I was unhappy with the room. When I called and made the reservations I ask for a king size bed so I'm thinking I will have a king size bed. (Almost $500. A night) The guy sales me a dinner plan three meals a day two snacks a day and I was checking in Friday at 3 and leaving out Sunday at 11. The dinner plan is great if you get to use them. ( Be careful.) when we got to our room we had two queen size beds I called the front desk and the lady said we have never had king size beds in any room. The rooms are very dark and not very clean.. Needs to be updated bad!!!!!! Still enjoyed the Magic Kingdom!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa T
Dublin
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This review is from the perspective of a family with children aged 10,8 & 5.

They say location is everything and so it proved for our family.

We first went to Disney ( Parks ) and stayed in an off-site hotel. Great time but did not really work, too much time wasted on free hotel shuttle buses etc.

Second time in 07 with a 6 & 4 year old we stayed in the Animal Kingdom lodge a really nice property, with similar decor to the Poly ( dark woods, lush vegetation etc ) but a newer feel than the Polynesian ( and of course the fantastic animals ). However the AK was a bit of a hike to any of the parks and it was hard to get to the park, come back for a break and then get out for dinner again during the course of the day with the time you needed to factor in for transportation.

We first visited the Polynesian in 2009 and returned in 2011, we are booked in again for later in the year. When you walk into the Ceremonial hall, there is just a lovely relaxed vibe, even though the place is busy as a main hub of the property and there is a monorail overhead.

The location of the Polynesian is excellent with the Magic Kingdom framing the view from the pool across the lake and minutes away by Monorail or boat, which are both very frequent. Epcot is also within striking distance on the monorail with a change at the transportation center or a walk to the periphery of the property to the Transportation center.

The location allowed us to get to a park and back "home" for some pool time and then maybe over to the Magic Kingdom for an hour before dinner. If that is how you like to roll, then this is why the Polynesian could work for you.

The Kids love the volcano pool at the Polynesian, the games poolside, the hair braiding, you can rent mini speed boats to explore the seven seas lagoon and all sorts of other activities.

The man made beach at the Polynesian is a great place to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks,
and the wishes light show which the small kids adore.

The bedrooms are a little dark, this is true, and the many comments regarding, chips in the furniture or patched wallpaper are valid as I saw them myself. Certainly the finish is not what you would look for in your own home. However these niggles do not unduly bother us. If this would spoil your trip because you fell you are paying a premium price then you may want to look elsewhere. There is no doubt that Disney should consider refurbishing the longhouses one by one. On the plus side the rooms are considerably larger than newer properties which was important for a family of 5 trying to share one room for as long as possible ( not many years left now !) eg We found the AKL rooms a little bit small for the 4 of us as it was back in 07.

Gave mother some alone time and I took the kids to the other hotels on the monorail loop, the Contemporary and the Grand Floridian to have a look around one evening and while I was not in any of the bedrooms, the common areas and the vibe in the Contemporary was austere and while I liked the Grand Floridian the kids felt it lacked atmosphere " I don't think they would like kids in this hotel " was a memorable quote. I think it just lacked the nice warm glow that the Polynesian gives.

Although Captain Cooks the quick service dining option is as others say typically overpriced it has improved its selection and does cater for some healthier eating options. I though Kona cafe was solid enough...not blown away but Ohana is great for family dining. The men love to overdo the food which we found of excellent quality and very plentiful, succulent prawns and tender juicy beef and the girls loved the atmosphere and the games and plenty of food to.
One tip I would have the wait staff are often running around like mad things.... don't feel rushed
yourself. Slow it down and enjoy it.

If you book the Polynesian...do have a look at Ohana "family" for dining. If you like the look of it, book it immediately ( you can use the online reservations ) as reservations fill up fast and the walk up line can be quite long.

Room Tip: Go online and look at the Map of this property. Request a room to suit your needs...sounds obvious w...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Macnda
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My family has vacationed at 3 times at Disney resort hotels since June 2010. This was our second stay at the Polynesian, and by far the best. The first time we stayed at the Polynesian we did not chose the Concierge or Club level. I believe this made all the difference in our stay this time. The room was in the Hawaii building which is close to, but not directly next to, the pool. Every day there is a continental breakfast, mid-day hot and cold appetizers, and evening dessert with cordials. In between there are always cookies, fresh fruit and hot & cold beverages. The concierge desk was always friendly and helpful. They arranged our dinner reservations, helped with bus/luggage to the airport and put our Disney attraction tickets on our room keys for our convinience. The kids loved the volcano pool and we could relax next to the pool as our kids swam. Disney lifeguards are well-trained (we even noticed them testing the lifeguards to make sure they were constantly aware of their surroundings). We opted for the theme-park view room, which our kids loved. They watched the boat parade at 10 and then fireworks at 11. Best part of being at the Polynesian is the convenince of the monorail system. There is even a nearby monorail to Epcot if you don't wish to make the change at the transportation center. The grounds and the lobby, contrary to some reviews, are very lush and very well maintained. we loved the water features. We ate at Kona cafe twice during our stay. Dinner was much nicer than lunch, although there are similar items on the menu at both times. One impressive thing that did happen to us during this stay is that a camera that we had lost at the hotel was found by the staff and was sitting on our nightstand with a note when we returned our room the same evening. We thought that was very impressive for such a big resort. Considering the great service and nice amenities, we would definitetly return to this hotel in s heartbeat!

Room Tip: Club level is a must. Forget the Disney dining plan if you choose the club level rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family