“Good value for what you pay”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #111 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The hotel is very clean and it has friendly and helpful staff. The cleaning personal restocks toiletries and coffee packs daily. It is close to Universal Studios and provides free shuttles during the day. It has a nice pool and two Jacuzzis…if you have time to use them. It has limited room service choices, however, if you have been out all day, are tired, and do not want to drive anywhere; it may be a fair option. The order arrived quick and my husband stated that his hamburger was great. My chicken salad was simple but fair. I did not try the restaurant for breakfast. They have a quick service mart for coffee and sundries. I would stay here again, the Wet & Wild water park is across the street and we promised our daughter to bring her. Our room faced the lake and park. The hotel has well known restaurants and shops nearby. The shuttle coming back from Universal has set up times. If you miss it or you want to come back earlier or later, a taxi may be a great and affordable option. From Universal to the Hotel was only $7.00…. parking for the whole day at the park is $15.00. This is a good hotel for what you pay. If you come for the parks. My husband, daughter (7) left at 7:15AM and did not come back until 10:30PM. It is a great place to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chiki2399
Write a ReviewReviews (2,886)

Reviewed 6 July 2012

It wasn't anything special, but for only needing the one night it had a great location and great breakfast. The pool was very disappointing but I was never around long enough to use it. Would recommend for a fairly cheap place to stay on vacation.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Honestly everything was great. Location is great. Check-in was fast and easy, staff was friendly. The only thing that bugged the heck out of me was the night staff in the restaurant. Me and my husband went in the morning to have breakfast and everything was great. The food wasn't that great but the woman and man in the morning were really nice, especially the woman. Fast forward to night time: me and my husband decided to have dinner at the on-site restaurant since we've been out the whole day shopping. It was the worst service I've had. This big fat guy came out of the kitchen with a plate full of food and sat close to us and ate everything right in front of everyone and after he was done he left his dirty plate on the table. I'm sorry I don't work in a hotel I sure know that that's not okey! & then later on I see the same guy come out of the kitchen and went straight to the bar to talk to the bar tenders & started drinking beer & starting talking and joking to the ladies at the bar like if he was a guest. That was just plain unprofessional.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Worldlover35
Reviewed 3 July 2012

we were at the hotel for our trip to universal studios and seaworld. the rooms were very clean and the pool was good. the hotel is well maintained. the breakfast was complimentary with the stay and it helped us to manage within the budget. there was free shuttle service to the universal studios as well as sea world. also, the hotel is very near to a lot of restaurants- within walking distance. so we did not have to rent a car to visit these places. overall i was a good experience and would recommend this to anyone on a strict budget.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is my 4th visit in 6 years, and to keep it fresh I review it every time. So I´ll be comparing it to previous stays. This time around we got a corner room at the end of a hallway, facing the basketball court. The first time we got it through hotwire, liked it for the convenience, being near the parks, the fridge and microwave, the next stays we sought it, this might be the last time... Even though the rooms are clean and fine for sleeping after a long day at the parks, there were some issues. The room had nearly no closet space (rooms located towards the middle of the hallway don´t have this problem), the safety box had no lock and had to wait until the engineer arrived next day to fix it (apparently it had been stolen!). On previous visits one thing that was really remarkable was the front desk staff... I didn´t experience that this time around, they were not helpful at all, not rude, they just didn´t seem to care (solving the safe issue). The room we got facing the basketball court was noisy, we had people playing until past midnight and also we got to hear the music from the party downstairs (not fun at all).
Would we stay here again? Probably, but we checked out other nearby options for our next visit.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the end of the hall
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank elsalero
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel during your most recent trip to Orlando. I am pleased that you have returned to our property on numerous occasion and am glad that you have enjoyed your stays with us.

I am concerned that you did not feel our staff at the front desk was very friendly and while I understand your sentiment that they were not rude, we need to make a better effort at making sure that we are projecting our "friendliness" to our guests and make sure that we are as helpful as possible. I will make sure that I share your comments with our front office manager and identify areas where we need to increase our training.

I do apologize that the end room did not have enough closet space, as you described, the very end rooms (5 of them) are tight on space especially the closet area.

Again, thank you for your review and I do hope you return to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed with the family for three nights to visit Harry Potter World.

Pros: less than a mile from Universal and across the street from wet and wild; inexpensive; clean rooms; plenty of parking; friednly staff; universal office in hotel; and nice pool.

Cons: dated rooms and lobby in need of upgrading; limited shuttle buses to universal; and mediocre food.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We certainly appreciate that you enjoyed you stay with us during your recent trip to Orlando. We are creating a new restaurant menu and hopefully the next time you are in Orlando, you will stay with us and give our Caribbean themed Sharky and Jack's another try.

Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

My expectations weren't very high to be honest and I was very pleasantly surprised. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. Clean towels were given every day and the cleaning standards were very good.

The location was excellent and we walked to Universal within 25-30 minutes. IHOP is just a few minutes walk away and Wet & Wild is on the doorstep.

The Bell Captain (M Gonzalez Jr) seems to be the font of all knowledge and is very helpful. He became a bit of a personal guide, so definitely seek him out.

The restaurant and bar are ok, although a little limited. The food's good, but we only ate there when we were too tired to venture out. If you like milkshakes, give one a go in the bar or from the little shop - some of the best I've tasted and great flavours too.

The only thing to note is that there are some real inconsistancies. One day you get 6 towels, 5 face cloths and a bath mat. The next day 2 towels, no facecloths and no bath mat. The day after you may get another half a dozen towels, couple of facecloths and a bath mat back. Guess there were no set standards, so depended on who made up your room. Same with tea bags, I had to keep asking for some and then two that were in the basket strangely disappeared, so I started hiding some in a drawer. However if you call down for anything, house services come straight up.

Room Tip: We had a great view of Wet & Wild and Universal. If you're on that same side of the buildin...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jodie81
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Thank you for your reveiw of our hotel! I am pleased that you found the rooms to be clean and comfortable and that you thought our staff was courteous and friendly. I will make sure that I pass on your compliments to Jr. who is one of our bellman.

I will also pass on to our Executive Housekeeper you comments regarding the restocking of towels in your room! We do have standards for the number of towels in each room and it looks like we missed the boat! I was glad to read that we brought your items up expeditiously when you called down to the front desk.

Again, thank you so much for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!