“Nice Hotel but needs a little update”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #118 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Miami, Florida
“Nice Hotel but needs a little update”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel offers excellent location, pool, game room, restaurant and a great thing is that they allow pets in the hotel. I personally travel with my pet and this was a great alternative for me. The hotel needs some upgrades in the décor and specially the rooms. The rooms seem to be from the 90's but overall the service was great. I will recommend this hotel to be next to Wet and Wild and to be able to bring your pet.

Room Tip: Request pool view or the new tower
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Claudia T.,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent visit. We love our pets here at the BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway hotel and all are welcome as long as their owners are behaving!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and love to be able to tell you that we have completed our lobby and public area renovations and will be replacing our carpet, draperies and bedding package in all of our rooms this year.

I do hope that you return soon and see the positive changes that we have made!

General Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ashland City, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My husband & I decided to stay at this hotel due to location. Unfortunately that is the only good thing about this health hazard. The check-in process took 15 minutes. The halls had chipped paint, torn carpet, & smelled like mildew with a stench of urine. The room & bathroom were not cleaned thoroughly. The room had crumbs of food on the carpet in several spots. The bathroom had used soap in the shower, stained towels, & a broken shower head that spouted water everywhere. My husband called the front desk twice to clean the shower but no one came. We took a shower with our beach shoes. The bed was lumpy & uncomfortable!!!!!! I gave this hotel a two rating one for location & the other for a free night with breakfast as compensation for the horrible experience. I would not recommend this hotel to no one!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LovelyNOLAgirl
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear LovelyNOLAGirl,

I apologize that your stay was not more enjoyable and hope that you will use your future stay certificate so that we can prove that the conditions you described are not the norm. I have sent you an e-mail asking your room location so that we can get into that room and find out where our processes broke down.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and do hope to see you again soon.

Sullivan, IL
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel during spring break. We were going to Universal so the location was perfect. They offer a free shuttle that drops you off right at the park. We never used the return shuttle. We walked back one evening and took a taxi the next night because we were too tired to walk back even though it's only about a mile. The lobby of the hotel is very nice and the front desk staff was helpful but the rooms are just average. The first night at the hotel we arrived after 1am and were given a room on the second floor with a very small window that was very high up on the wall. You couldn't see out of it and I felt like we were in a dungeon. I called the front desk to request another room and they said they were full. They told us to check in the morning. When we woke up the next morning I asked to be moved to a room with a window that we could look out of. The front desk clerk agreed that room was not a good room. We were able to move but it was a hassle to switch rooms. For the price we paid on Hotwire I am satisfied with my room but I do not think this is a 3 star hotel as it was listed on Hotwire.

Dear mjsb05,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate the comments regarding our location, staff and newly renovated lobby. I know you rated our rooms as "average" but want you to know that we will be replacing all of our soft goods this year (carpeting, draperies and bedding) and know that replacing these items will put us back in the "above average" rating for guests such as yourself.

We look forward to having you return in the future and see our upgraded product.

Grand Forks
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Great location. Hotel staff very helpful and the room was very clean. Only double beds in rooms and would have preferred queen. Air conditioner was a bet noisy and internet was slow at times but overall good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Myril A.,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our fantastic location. I will pass on your comments to our cleaning staff and front office staff. They certainly enjoy knowing that guests appreciate their efforts.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Orlando, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed three nights and the room was fine. It was clean and had a clean smell. The first night i had a problem with the TV/remote, but it was taken care of quickly. It was not noisy with people running in the hallways that I get at other places. Staff was nice. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Dear Howard K,

I appreciate your taking the time to review our hotel after your most recent visit. I will make sure that I pass on your kind comments to all of our staff. I know they appreciate hearing the positives from our guests.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you soon!

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I needed to find a very budget friendly place in Orlando for a long weekend. I was very afraid with what I was going to get, but for the price, I was happy with it. It was spacious and clean, and the location to Universal was great. I enjoyed the pool and hot tubs as well. The people behind the front desk were hit or miss. Overall, they were nice, but sometimes they did not seem very knowledgable. We would get conflicting answers to the same questions...

Room Tip: We stayed in a queen room and it was spacious.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Laura R.

Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel and I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor. I will pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms to be clean and spacious. Many of our guests love our two spas and our pool area and I am glad that you took the time to enjoy them as well.

I will pass on your comments regarding our Front Desk staff to our Front Office Manager. We do have several new associates and perhaps we need to look at our training program to insure everyone is passing on the same information.

Again, thank you for your business and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Boston, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2014

If you're looking for a hotel that won't break the bank on your vacation than this is it. We got two rooms for four nights and it was just about $500. It is a very basic hotel with only a few amenities (fitness center, and an outdoor pool, tennis & basketball court). I did not purchase food from their restaurant so I can't comment on that. This hotel has a decent location. It is close to Universal (It's about a 1.5 mile walk. They also have a free shuttle) and international drive (which has a lot of restaurants and shops). If You're planning on visiting Disney World or Sea World you'll definitely want a rental car. It's located about 20 min from Disney and they do not offer a shuttle. We would leave early in the morning and wouldn't get back until around midnight; so we primarily only slept in the hotel. There is a Walgreens just up the street (which is where I suggest buying things like water bottles, snacks, etc..because their prices are much cheaper then the hotel restaurant. Basically, if you expect to be out for most of the day visiting the attractions and just need a place to spend the night then this hotel is perfect. If however, you want the full resort experience I would suggest looking else where.

1 Thank Ajar S
Dear Ajar S,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent trip to Orlando. We are one of the few hotels that offer a tennis, basketball court, two spa's along with a large fitness center, game room and swimming pool. I am glad that you were able to enjoy them. We do have a restaurant, lounge and New Your Style Deli on property as well and it is too bad that you did not have the opportunity to visit these outlets.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy your vacation while in Orlando and we hoe to see you again in the near future.