“Happy first visit to a Best Western”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #122 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
“Happy first visit to a Best Western”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is situated perfectly for all amenities and provides a shuttle bus service to the theme parks of your choice. There is also a shop within the hotel that provides food and everyday items which I found very handy. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room/wifi was exceptional for our needs. Something this hotel may want to consider is a complimentary continental breakfast for it's guests. I would definitely stay here again however as my experience was a happy one.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Macaar1969,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your first visit to a Best Western! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our accommodations and staff met all of your needs. I will pass on all of your comments to our staff as they defiantly like hearing about our satisfied customers.

Welcome to the BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway family and we hope to see you soon.

Bill Jones, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We decided to extend our Orlando holiday by 2 further nights and managed to find a decent deal at this property online.

I stayed here many many years ago (1989) on a family holiday but was surprised to see little had changed in that time.

The room was clean and comfortable although I was unsure about the room opening out onto the pool area from a security perspective. I need not have been concerned as a far greater security lapse occurred during our stay. Unusually the computer system that controls the room keys was down meaning each guest had to be let into their room by a member of staff as keys simply would not work. I did feel sorry for the staff however when I discovered that the staff where not even checking IDs and ensuring that the rooms they opened where infact being opened for the correct people I was gravely concerned. Added to that the safe in my room was literally a metal box with no lock on the front meaning I couldn't even be reassured that my belongings where safe when I left the hotel during my stay.

However otherwise I found the hotel to be pleasant. The location to WetNWild was fantastic, also a simple walk to Universal and indeed restaurants where all nearby.

Upon check out we where delighted to receive a complimentary stay at any Orlando based Best Western as a result of the issue with the keys so that was a plus also.

I would indeed return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear IrishStandards,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

I do appreciate that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff helpful. I was displeased to find out about the trouble you mentioned regarding the entry back into the rooms. Our policies and training clearly state that unless a guest is personally recognized by the staff that is letting them into the room that they would need to be escorted to their room after having verified the identity. I will pass your comments on and make sure that the necessary steps are taken in our training. The good news is that in the 17 years that I have been at the hotel, this was the first time that the key machine computer failed. Having experienced this, we now have a back-up computer with all of the information we need for a seamless switch-over in case it ever happens in the future!

I am excited to tell you that we have completed our lobby and public spaces renovation and will begin on the soft goods renovation of our rooms this year. these items will include, carpet, drapes and bedding package. Next year the case goods (furniture) will be replaced.

I do hope that you will return to our hotel to see the wonderful changes.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel offers excellent location, pool, game room, restaurant and a great thing is that they allow pets in the hotel. I personally travel with my pet and this was a great alternative for me. The hotel needs some upgrades in the décor and specially the rooms. The rooms seem to be from the 90's but overall the service was great. I will recommend this hotel to be next to Wet and Wild and to be able to bring your pet.

Room Tip: Request pool view or the new tower
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Claudia T.,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent visit. We love our pets here at the BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway hotel and all are welcome as long as their owners are behaving!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and love to be able to tell you that we have completed our lobby and public area renovations and will be replacing our carpet, draperies and bedding package in all of our rooms this year.

I do hope that you return soon and see the positive changes that we have made!

General Manger
Ashland City, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My husband & I decided to stay at this hotel due to location. Unfortunately that is the only good thing about this health hazard. The check-in process took 15 minutes. The halls had chipped paint, torn carpet, & smelled like mildew with a stench of urine. The room & bathroom were not cleaned thoroughly. The room had crumbs of food on the carpet in several spots. The bathroom had used soap in the shower, stained towels, & a broken shower head that spouted water everywhere. My husband called the front desk twice to clean the shower but no one came. We took a shower with our beach shoes. The bed was lumpy & uncomfortable!!!!!! I gave this hotel a two rating one for location & the other for a free night with breakfast as compensation for the horrible experience. I would not recommend this hotel to no one!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LovelyNOLAgirl
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear LovelyNOLAGirl,

I apologize that your stay was not more enjoyable and hope that you will use your future stay certificate so that we can prove that the conditions you described are not the norm. I have sent you an e-mail asking your room location so that we can get into that room and find out where our processes broke down.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and do hope to see you again soon.

Sullivan, IL
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel during spring break. We were going to Universal so the location was perfect. They offer a free shuttle that drops you off right at the park. We never used the return shuttle. We walked back one evening and took a taxi the next night because we were too tired to walk back even though it's only about a mile. The lobby of the hotel is very nice and the front desk staff was helpful but the rooms are just average. The first night at the hotel we arrived after 1am and were given a room on the second floor with a very small window that was very high up on the wall. You couldn't see out of it and I felt like we were in a dungeon. I called the front desk to request another room and they said they were full. They told us to check in the morning. When we woke up the next morning I asked to be moved to a room with a window that we could look out of. The front desk clerk agreed that room was not a good room. We were able to move but it was a hassle to switch rooms. For the price we paid on Hotwire I am satisfied with my room but I do not think this is a 3 star hotel as it was listed on Hotwire.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear mjsb05,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate the comments regarding our location, staff and newly renovated lobby. I know you rated our rooms as "average" but want you to know that we will be replacing all of our soft goods this year (carpeting, draperies and bedding) and know that replacing these items will put us back in the "above average" rating for guests such as yourself.

We look forward to having you return in the future and see our upgraded product.

Grand Forks
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Great location. Hotel staff very helpful and the room was very clean. Only double beds in rooms and would have preferred queen. Air conditioner was a bet noisy and internet was slow at times but overall good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Myril A.,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our fantastic location. I will pass on your comments to our cleaning staff and front office staff. They certainly enjoy knowing that guests appreciate their efforts.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Orlando, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed three nights and the room was fine. It was clean and had a clean smell. The first night i had a problem with the TV/remote, but it was taken care of quickly. It was not noisy with people running in the hallways that I get at other places. Staff was nice. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Howard K,

I appreciate your taking the time to review our hotel after your most recent visit. I will make sure that I pass on your kind comments to all of our staff. I know they appreciate hearing the positives from our guests.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you soon!