“Great accomodations near Orlando Universal”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #112 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This hotel was a great bargain, clean rooms, friendly staff, very comfortable bed and room. The pool was large and really nice, and the hot tub areas were fabulous. I especially liked that there was a the deli in the lobby to get snacks, coffee and sodas... they also offered ice cream cones, pizza and subs made to order. The best things was the location... less than a mile from Universal Orlando, and walking distance to Wet and Wild. Great deal!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Marci,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed so many of our amenities and that you found out what so many others do as well and that's that we are in the perfect spot in Orlando to enjoy everything that there is to do.

I will pass your comments on to our staff as I know they appreciate them and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Thank you for your business!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stopped here to visit friends in Orlando the location of this hotel is excellent. The pool deck was great to rest after a busy day. When visiting Disney World staying here you're right in the middle of all the parks. Had to buy breakfast but the hotel buffet was reasonable & good.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank NYGeorgiaJim

Dear NYGeorgiaJim,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the pool and unwind after a busy day of "being a tourist". Orlando gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "of needing a vacation from your vacation" with everything there is to do in the area and we are right in the middle of it all! The pool area is a great place to just relax and unwind after a busy day.

I appreciate that you chose to stay with us while visiting your friends and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Bill ones, CHA

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was a convenient property to stay at for Universal. I originally booked it because of the free shuttle, but we found that the shuttle schedule was so bad that we ended up driving to the park instead. There's only two shuttles over in the morning - one early and one after 10 am - and you need a "reservation" to get on them. The breakfast was not as expensive as some hotels but the buffet itself is very minimal and low quality. The breakfast area (which doubles as the bar at night) and run down and wasn't very clean. I'd skip it if we ever stay here again. Beds were great and the room was clean and very quiet.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mplsalf,

Thank you for your recent business and for taking the time to review our hotel. We don't want to be "OK", we want to be your hotel of choice when visiting Orlando. I will pass your comments on to our Food and Beverage Manager for him to review and make changes if necessary. We are excited to say that Universal Studios had increased the number of departures for the parks in the morning to six! The first departs at 7:20 am for those that have early entry with shuttles leaving every hour after that until noon. You will still need reservations, which can be made in advance, to board the bus but the added departures will surely help everyone get a spot o the bus to one of Orlando's premier attractions.

Again, I thank you for you business and we do hope to see you soon.

General Manger

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This hotel is situated perfectly for all amenities and provides a shuttle bus service to the theme parks of your choice. There is also a shop within the hotel that provides food and everyday items which I found very handy. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room/wifi was exceptional for our needs. Something this hotel may want to consider is a complimentary continental breakfast for it's guests. I would definitely stay here again however as my experience was a happy one.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Macaar1969,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your first visit to a Best Western! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our accommodations and staff met all of your needs. I will pass on all of your comments to our staff as they defiantly like hearing about our satisfied customers.

Welcome to the BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway family and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We decided to extend our Orlando holiday by 2 further nights and managed to find a decent deal at this property online.

I stayed here many many years ago (1989) on a family holiday but was surprised to see little had changed in that time.

The room was clean and comfortable although I was unsure about the room opening out onto the pool area from a security perspective. I need not have been concerned as a far greater security lapse occurred during our stay. Unusually the computer system that controls the room keys was down meaning each guest had to be let into their room by a member of staff as keys simply would not work. I did feel sorry for the staff however when I discovered that the staff where not even checking IDs and ensuring that the rooms they opened where infact being opened for the correct people I was gravely concerned. Added to that the safe in my room was literally a metal box with no lock on the front meaning I couldn't even be reassured that my belongings where safe when I left the hotel during my stay.

However otherwise I found the hotel to be pleasant. The location to WetNWild was fantastic, also a simple walk to Universal and indeed restaurants where all nearby.

Upon check out we where delighted to receive a complimentary stay at any Orlando based Best Western as a result of the issue with the keys so that was a plus also.

I would indeed return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear IrishStandards,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.

I do appreciate that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff helpful. I was displeased to find out about the trouble you mentioned regarding the entry back into the rooms. Our policies and training clearly state that unless a guest is personally recognized by the staff that is letting them into the room that they would need to be escorted to their room after having verified the identity. I will pass your comments on and make sure that the necessary steps are taken in our training. The good news is that in the 17 years that I have been at the hotel, this was the first time that the key machine computer failed. Having experienced this, we now have a back-up computer with all of the information we need for a seamless switch-over in case it ever happens in the future!

I am excited to tell you that we have completed our lobby and public spaces renovation and will begin on the soft goods renovation of our rooms this year. these items will include, carpet, drapes and bedding package. Next year the case goods (furniture) will be replaced.

I do hope that you will return to our hotel to see the wonderful changes.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel offers excellent location, pool, game room, restaurant and a great thing is that they allow pets in the hotel. I personally travel with my pet and this was a great alternative for me. The hotel needs some upgrades in the décor and specially the rooms. The rooms seem to be from the 90's but overall the service was great. I will recommend this hotel to be next to Wet and Wild and to be able to bring your pet.

Room Tip: Request pool view or the new tower
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Claudia T.,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent visit. We love our pets here at the BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway hotel and all are welcome as long as their owners are behaving!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and love to be able to tell you that we have completed our lobby and public area renovations and will be replacing our carpet, draperies and bedding package in all of our rooms this year.

I do hope that you return soon and see the positive changes that we have made!

General Manger

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My husband & I decided to stay at this hotel due to location. Unfortunately that is the only good thing about this health hazard. The check-in process took 15 minutes. The halls had chipped paint, torn carpet, & smelled like mildew with a stench of urine. The room & bathroom were not cleaned thoroughly. The room had crumbs of food on the carpet in several spots. The bathroom had used soap in the shower, stained towels, & a broken shower head that spouted water everywhere. My husband called the front desk twice to clean the shower but no one came. We took a shower with our beach shoes. The bed was lumpy & uncomfortable!!!!!! I gave this hotel a two rating one for location & the other for a free night with breakfast as compensation for the horrible experience. I would not recommend this hotel to no one!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LovelyNOLAgirl
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear LovelyNOLAGirl,

I apologize that your stay was not more enjoyable and hope that you will use your future stay certificate so that we can prove that the conditions you described are not the norm. I have sent you an e-mail asking your room location so that we can get into that room and find out where our processes broke down.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and do hope to see you again soon.