“Good location and cleanliness, but ...”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #111 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 4 June 2014

First of all, my disclosure. I got this hotel at a priceline auction for a 3* star hotel, but I would never classify it as 3*.

Pros:

- The hotel is well located, in Universal Boulevard, close to Wet and Wild, just by the side of Wet'n'Wild parking lot. There is an I-trolley stop just a few meters from the hotel entrance. The i-ride trolley is $2.00 per ride or $7.00 for 3 days (we used this option), you can use to go Universal, or you can walk for about 30 minutes. You can take the I-trolley near Wet'n'Wild to the Orlando premium outlets. It is about 1.6 mile from the hotel. Close

- Cleanliness was impecabble, I stayed for 9 days and in every day the sheets were replaced and also the towels, the room was always very well cleaned, the towels and linen where spotless clean. The cleaning ladies do an excellent job.

- They offer a "Business center" where you can access Internet and print boarding passes or so, very handy.

- At first I was concerned in leaving my belongings in the room, but there has never anything missing in any day. I had expected otherwise that from the overall situation of the hotel.

That is all about that is good about the hotel. Now let's move on.

Cons:

- The hotel is extremely old and has not been renovated at all, just a few paint coats and that's about it.

- The bathroom door was stuffed in the bottom, from the humidity.

- The fixtures in the bathroom were rusty.

- The air conditioner was standing on top of a rooten board of wood.

- There is no free breakfast as it is usual around the area, you can have breafast for $10, but there is a microwave and a refrigerator in the room (more on that later).

- The air conditioning never worked properly, the room was always a bit warmer no matter what temperature the A/C was set. We kept waking up at night due to the heat.

- The refrigerator was freezing (turned veggies and even liquids into ice) everything we put in, even in the least powerful setting. We lost a lot of food due to that.

- The TV altought is a LCD flatscreen, is connected to some weird gadget to sell movies and that cuts all the corners of the image, no way to read scrolling headlines such as CNNs and news shows.

- They have no shuttle to Disney since they are "Universal partners" or so they told me.

- The Wi-fi internet was terrible. Slow and unstable. When I connected my mobile phone, most of the time the phone would fall back to 3G in order to "avoid poor connection".

I would definitely not reccomend this hotel over other hotels in the area. I really do not recommend booking this hotel at regular price, and I did not change hotels only because it was a prepaid Priceline reservation.

Room Tip: We had a room facing south, we could see just another hotel (Westgate Palace) and a clear view of th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ranerio V
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Renario,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate the kind comments regarding our staff and product. I will certainly pass them along. I will also pass along the issues you mentioned. We have renovated our lobby (a lot more than paint!), and our rooms will receive new carpet, bedding and draperies beginning this August.

I hope that you will return to experience the changes we've made and enjoy our fantastic service.

Bill Jones, CHA

Write a ReviewReviews (2,890)

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Simple design but very comfortable. We where very pleased. The rooms where simple but very clean. A nice trip. It was quiet and comfortable. I would highly recommend it for families also. As it is an all around good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 2 June 2014

If you are planning a trip to the parks in Orlando, this hotel is in a great spot. It's only a 5 minute drive to Universal and not much more to Disney. If you are looking for a nice, clean hotel then this is not it. The carpets need to be replaced. The hotel could use a fresh coat of paint. The room was clean but "seemed" dirty. The carpet was gross, the bed was lumpy, there were not any extra sheets in the room. The tub had mildew. Anyway, if you're planning a trip to the parks and you're on a budget, this isn't a bad option. If you can spend a little more than $100/night and want a better than average room, go elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for your recent business. While I appreciate that the hotel served its purpose for you I am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Our rooms will have new carpet, bedding and draperies this year and hopefully you will return to see the changes we have made.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel is within walking distance of Universal Studios (If you're in decent shape). The walk is long though so if you are not looking for a workout take advantage of one of the many transportation options available. The hotel is clean and usually a good price. There is a store in the hotel that sells the basics in case you wake up and realize you forgot a comb and hair spray (as I did.) There is a restaurant that serves breakfast but it is expensive. You are much better off walking across the street to IHop or taking a short drive or cab ride to one of the hundreds of restaurants nearby. I've never used the pool or other amenities but they look nice. I've stayed here twice and enjoyed my stay both times.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Harrington101,

I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us on multiple occasions. I appreciate the comments regarding our location and product. The next time you visit, you have to take advantage of the whirlpool spas!

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was a really excellent Hotel. I was on the internet doing Memorial Day looking for 2 hours. I wanted to fne a reasonable but nice Hotel. I was so surprise at the price and Hotel. The Guest Service Agent Andavia was really nice and infomative. The room smell very nice. The room, bed, sheet, bathroom, carpet, Hallway & pool was very very clean. This mean a lot to me after my experience at other Hotels. The Hotel really looked like a five star hotel. We had a microwave & refigerator. I don't know what's up with the other Hotels not having these two appliances. These two items help you save money.
I had only one complaint the beds were very uncomfatable. They were very clean and soft but our backs were hurting everyday we sleep on them. Other than that this was a very good stay

Room Tip: I don't know I had no complaint were my room was.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank llookout

Dear llookout,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent stay with us. I appreciate the feedback and will certainly let everyone know that you had a great time.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Conveniently located in central Orlando and ideal for families travelling on a budget. Hotel staff are very helpful. You can plan to take in all the popular spots with helpful staff. Huge watermark within walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank FatSams

Dear FATSAMs,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I was pleased that you found our staff friendly and helpful.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is actually within walking distance to universal parks and right across the road from the water park. Only a couple of blocks away is International Drive which offers all kinds of things to do from great restaurants to putt-putt to extreme rides. The hotel is very clean but did not offer continental breakfast. Over all this is a great hotel and I would recommend staying here but I would try to find discount booking on another website to save on the room rate.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank chicknman123

Dear chickenman123,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel after your recent stay with us. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and was glad that you will be staying with us again. I will pass your comments on to our staff!

I hope to see you soon.