“Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, Orlando”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #118 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Tallahassee, United States
“Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, Orlando”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel was great and the staff was very friendly. The hot buffet breakfast for $9 was a great value, especially compared to the usual hotel restaurant prices and the food was decent. I had reserved a handicap accessible bathroom with 2 beds but when I got there they told me that all the handicap rooms had only a king bed and we had 4 people and this would absolutely not work. And we needed the handicap bathroom because of my husband. The hotel clerk, Dianna, gave us adjoining rooms; one being the handicap bathroom with king bed and the other one had 2 beds. She was very pleasant and friendly and all the other staff were as well.

1 Thank Sarah C
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Sarah C.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent stay in Orlando. I was pleased to read that you found our staff very friendly and that they were able to get you a connecting room. Good to see that you took advantage of our breakfast buffet and that you loved our location.

Once again, thank you for your business and we hope to see you again real soon.

Bill Jones, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I plan to stay at this hotel again in the future when vacationing in this area. Close to Universal Studios, Wet N Wild, Florida Mall, and the airport. It was clean and comfortable for a great value of less than $100.

1 Thank Michelle C
Dear Michelle,

I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would return. I will pass your comments on to our staff. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you soon.

Orlando, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2014

No joke. This is a very nice hotel. The fitness room, the pool, the view from the upper floors are spectacular. My next trip to Orlando, I will be booking a hotel at this hotel. If anyone has anything negative to say about this hotel, do not believe what they say. Take if from me, you can not go wrong with this Best Western Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Steven B,.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

experience was great, the staff was very caring and got our needs settled that day. would stay there again. breakfast buffet was the same you get for free at other hotels and you had to pay $10.00 each. Also, some of the dishes were not available due to "still cooking". go out to cheaper buffets for less money and better food.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear 914ricardoc,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am glad that you found our staff caring and that they attended to your needs. I do apologize that all dishes were not available during breakfast, we cook everything fresh daily but should always have everything available at all times.

Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.

Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 4 June 2014

First of all, my disclosure. I got this hotel at a priceline auction for a 3* star hotel, but I would never classify it as 3*.

Pros:

- The hotel is well located, in Universal Boulevard, close to Wet and Wild, just by the side of Wet'n'Wild parking lot. There is an I-trolley stop just a few meters from the hotel entrance. The i-ride trolley is $2.00 per ride or $7.00 for 3 days (we used this option), you can use to go Universal, or you can walk for about 30 minutes. You can take the I-trolley near Wet'n'Wild to the Orlando premium outlets. It is about 1.6 mile from the hotel. Close

- Cleanliness was impecabble, I stayed for 9 days and in every day the sheets were replaced and also the towels, the room was always very well cleaned, the towels and linen where spotless clean. The cleaning ladies do an excellent job.

- They offer a "Business center" where you can access Internet and print boarding passes or so, very handy.

- At first I was concerned in leaving my belongings in the room, but there has never anything missing in any day. I had expected otherwise that from the overall situation of the hotel.

That is all about that is good about the hotel. Now let's move on.

Cons:

- The hotel is extremely old and has not been renovated at all, just a few paint coats and that's about it.

- The bathroom door was stuffed in the bottom, from the humidity.

- The fixtures in the bathroom were rusty.

- The air conditioner was standing on top of a rooten board of wood.

- There is no free breakfast as it is usual around the area, you can have breafast for $10, but there is a microwave and a refrigerator in the room (more on that later).

- The air conditioning never worked properly, the room was always a bit warmer no matter what temperature the A/C was set. We kept waking up at night due to the heat.

- The refrigerator was freezing (turned veggies and even liquids into ice) everything we put in, even in the least powerful setting. We lost a lot of food due to that.

- The TV altought is a LCD flatscreen, is connected to some weird gadget to sell movies and that cuts all the corners of the image, no way to read scrolling headlines such as CNNs and news shows.

- They have no shuttle to Disney since they are "Universal partners" or so they told me.

- The Wi-fi internet was terrible. Slow and unstable. When I connected my mobile phone, most of the time the phone would fall back to 3G in order to "avoid poor connection".

I would definitely not reccomend this hotel over other hotels in the area. I really do not recommend booking this hotel at regular price, and I did not change hotels only because it was a prepaid Priceline reservation.

Room Tip: We had a room facing south, we could see just another hotel (Westgate Palace) and a clear view of th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ranerio V
Dear Renario,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate the kind comments regarding our staff and product. I will certainly pass them along. I will also pass along the issues you mentioned. We have renovated our lobby (a lot more than paint!), and our rooms will receive new carpet, bedding and draperies beginning this August.

I hope that you will return to experience the changes we've made and enjoy our fantastic service.

Essen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Simple design but very comfortable. We where very pleased. The rooms where simple but very clean. A nice trip. It was quiet and comfortable. I would highly recommend it for families also. As it is an all around good hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
Fleming Island, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014

If you are planning a trip to the parks in Orlando, this hotel is in a great spot. It's only a 5 minute drive to Universal and not much more to Disney. If you are looking for a nice, clean hotel then this is not it. The carpets need to be replaced. The hotel could use a fresh coat of paint. The room was clean but "seemed" dirty. The carpet was gross, the bed was lumpy, there were not any extra sheets in the room. The tub had mildew. Anyway, if you're planning a trip to the parks and you're on a budget, this isn't a bad option. If you can spend a little more than $100/night and want a better than average room, go elsewhere.

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for your recent business. While I appreciate that the hotel served its purpose for you I am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Our rooms will have new carpet, bedding and draperies this year and hopefully you will return to see the changes we have made.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you soon.