“Very nice satff”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #112 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Had a great experience at this hotel. The only problem we had was the cold water took forever to get cold. I guess the pipes are to close to the surface and the sun made them hot. The onsite restaurant we believe was a little to pricey for what you got. But it is very handy. The cabana bar should be open later. The staff was terrific. we would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

David C.,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and will recommend to friends and family. I will pass on your comments regarding the restaurant and cabana hours .

We look forward to seeing you again when you return to the Orlando area.

998 - 1,004 of 2,785 reviews

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had problems with the plumbing and they tried to correct it but we needed a new room and the plumbing needed renovations (toilet and shower both). They charge for breakfast so beware. We did not expect it. The beds are decent but doubles and not queens. The rooms are cramped but clean and it is decorated appropriately. We had a good view. The staff is excellent. The pool is nice. Good family hotel and great value.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your business and apologize that there was a plumbing issue with your room during your stay. I was pleased to see that our staff was able to accommodate you and that you found our hotel to be a great value.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Windows leaked all night. Carpet was wet and suitcase nearby too. Front desk Tanya simply said. Ok I will deduct $3 from your bill. Bathroom in desperate need of renovation. Beds were comfy but we were disappointed. I would not recommend unless you are a student traveling on low budget.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank BineQuilts

Dear Sabine,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I do apologize for any inconveniences you encountered. It is our goal to provide, clean, comfortable, safe, and affordable accommodations for all of our guests and I apologize that we fell short during your stay. We will use your review to review our process and find out where we went wrong.

Should you return to Orlando, please give me a call directly and I would be more than happy to make your reservation and insure you a more satisfactory stay with us.

Again, thank you for your business and for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was looking for a cheap vacation but couldn't stay in a cheap hotel. Best Western was able to offer the right price and while it wasn't a 4 star hotel the amenities and accommodations were satisfactory. What made my stay worth writing a review about was the amazing staff. Everyone from the front desk, to pool side barmaid, to the woman working the deli counter were all so friendly and hospitable.

Dear Hafeeza,

Thank you for you comments regarding our fantastic staff! It is certainly appreciated and I will make sure that I pass your thoughts on to each of them. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just returned from our 4 night stay at the Best Western Orlando Gateway (26/06-28/06). Let me start off by saying that we have booked this hotel through Priceline's name your own price. We therefore have not chosen this specific property, and probably wouldn't have in the end.

We checked in at around 11pm. We entered a lobby which was very nice decorated and spotless. Check-in went smoothly; the front desk representative was very courteous and answered all our questions regarding the shuttle to Universal, etc. We asked for a king size bed, however, the hotel couldn't accommodate us on since they had already been assigned to other guests. This was not a big issue for us, since with Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" feature, you do not get to pick a room type. Our disappointment started with the walk to our room #125. It is to mention that this is an old property, and that although some efforts of renovation are noticeable here and there, this hotel is in need of major work. The carpets to the hallways are very worn and soiled. Chips of paint missing, here and there. Old OTIS elevators. We entered room #125 and immediately noticed that it felt very humid and damp. The bathroom tiles underneath the sink had not been mopped (presence of hair and dirt on tiles) and the shower tiles had mold in the grout. Additionally, there was a bug in the tub. I returned to the front desk and ask for another room, as this one felt too humid and didn't look very clean. The front desk clerk informed me that "all our rooms are the same" but she still agreed to relocate us to room #525. This second room was better. Some updates were noticed, such as new tiles in the bathroom. This room did not feel as humid and damp as the first one, and therefore, was much more comfortable. We slept there for the night. The next morning I enquired at the front desk if some of the rooms with King size beds were now available. The nice lady at the counter informed me that she would be able to give me a king size bedroom, but that would be an extra 10$ a night upgrade (which we did not mind paying). We were transferred to room 549. We stayed in this room until that last day. The bed was comfortable and the room was cleaned daily. We did not experience any problems with the A/C (as mentioned by other reviewers), however, the coffee maker and the telephone next to the bed did not work properly.

So, to sum things up:

Pros: Great location; 20 minute walk to Unviersal Studios, free shuttle to Universal Studios (take note that the latest return shuttle is at 8pm, but that the parks close at 10pm). Good customer service at the front desk; front desk staff friendly and willing to accomodate/help their guests. Comfortable beds. Free parking.

Cons: No complimentary breakfast (10$ pp breakfast buffet is offered at their restaurant, we had it once and didn't find it very good and worth it's price). Again, property in need of major, major TLC. Some of the rooms could also benefit from a bit more thorough cleaning (especially shower tiles and carpets).

*We cannot comment on the pool area as we have not used it.

In conclusion, if location is all you care about, this hotel will probably satisfy your needs. However, if you are a little more picky (like us), about cleanliness and comfort, you might want to look elsewhere. If I compare this property to other adjacent properties who have received a 3* rating (such as the Hyatt Place and Holiday Inn Express), I would rate this property at 2.5*.

Note: during our stay, we have received a letter stating that management would come into our room during the daytime with a contractor to take measurements of the curtains, etc. Therefore, it appears that the BEST WESTERN Orlando Gateway Hotel will undergo some well needed renovation in the near future.

Room Tip: Request a room that is NOT on the first floor and away from the elevators/ice machine area.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Chinotto,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to see that after your encounter with the first room, we were able to get you into a room that you were comfortable in. You are correct, we are beginning a renovation phase and the lobby, which you found nicely decorated and spotless, was the first area completed. Carpet in the rooms and corridors, which you mentioned needed replacement, will all be replaced in August and September and will be completed floor by floor with no interruption to our guests. All draperies and bedding will be replaced in October/November of this year as well and we'll have a nice, new fresh look for our guests.

I appreciate your comments and hope that when you return to Orlando, you will consider us again for your lodging needs.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

The Best Western Orlando Gateway is a very fine hotel. The accomodations are excellent - everything is clean, the people are ever soooo nice and helpful - love you Gerardo!!! The pool is clean and the deli has good fresh food - plenty to choose from. I would highly recommend this hotel. The shuttle service to Universal is great too - this is a fine family hotel - good deal pricewise. Can not say enough good remarks - just a fine place to stay - beds are soooo comfortable too - nice firm matressses that don't feel like 100,000 people have already slept in them. Like, Like, Love - go and enjoy.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the comments you had regarding your recent stay with us. We do have a great staff and I will make sure that I let them know about your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed our pool and took advantage of the convenient deli we have on property.

Again, thank you for your comments, we ARE a family hotel that is right where you want to be for all the fun things there are to do in Orlando.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I typically do not give anything 5 out of 5 stars as nothing is ever perfect. However this time I must say it was as near perfect as you can get so they get all 5. The location is perfect, and very easy to get to off Interstate 4. It is a 20 minute walk to Universal Studios, less than 5 minute walk to Wet and Wild, and only a few minute walk to shops and restaurants. We walked because the park shuttle stops at 8 but park closes at 10 so that could be fixed by hotel. You can park your car once you check in and not have to move it again until you are ready to leave. We only had 1 real issue with the hotel and that was the air conditioning was not working the first night there but there was a knock on the room door as soon as I hung up the phone and it was fixed in about 5 minutes tops. The beds were comfortable, especially after a long day of walking around the park. The room was very clean, so no complaints there. Just don't drink the water bottles in the room as they cost $2.95 each. Should I ever travel to Orlando this is going to be the hotel I will stay at.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor and our view was great and the room was right by the elevator.

Dear BJohn,

Thank you for your high marks! I certainly appreciate your comments and was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Universal Studios does set the hours for the transportation but there are taxi's available for a return trip for $7 (less than the cost of parking) should you decide to stay late and enjoy City Walk!

Again, thank you for your comments, I am glad that you will return and we certainly hope to see you soon!