“Ideal location, comfortable stay.”

Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel
Ranked #116 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Ideal location, comfortable stay.”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 11 nights in June 2014 as base for Universal and Disney. Ideal location, free shuttle ride or 20 minutes walk to Universal and 20 minutes drive to Disney parks. We found the hotel to be excellent value, rooms were clean, comfortable and well equipped. Many restaurants within 10 minutes walk so didn't use hotel restaurant, which seemed more expensive than others nearby. Overall, we had no complaints at all and would be happy to visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Bill J, General Manager at Best Western Orlando Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent vacation. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would return again. We like to say that we are right where you want to be for all the fun things there are to do in Orlando.

Again thank you for your review and your business and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Bill Jones, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My son and I stayed at this hotel in April. The staff was friendly though the property looked somewhat worn. It is across the street from the Wet n Wild waterpark. We were assigned a room that smelled really musty and moldy. We requested and immediately received another room which was better, slightly musty, but it's Florida so I will cut them some slack. Our first night there was a fire alarm telling us to leave the room -- this went on for about 25 mintues. We all left but were told it was not a real emergency by staff. I would guess someone was smoking in their room as I smelled cigarette smoke in the stairwell. If you can get a good deal on Priceline or some other site this hotel is okay is you are going to Universal; it is a bit of a haul to get to Disney. FYI there is a Whole Foods not too far away that has a breakfast bar and good coffee.

Room Tip: Do not accept a musty room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Biglunamoth,

Thank you for your review. We are ideal for hose visiting Universal Studios and Sea World and about a 20 minute drive to Disney World. I appreciate your comments and will pass them on to our staff.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to Orlando.

westminster,co
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This Best Western is a typical BW by which I mean when looking it up on internet it looks nice ( pool,tennis,basketball courts, computer room, small arcade room,this BW even has Electric Car charging pumps(2) , fancy lobby with expensive art ) and then you get to the room and it's beat down with faded carpet warn down paint. For me someone who travels a lot it's really frustrating. When I checked in the receptionist told me because I premiere member i was upgraded to a VIP room with a view. I was all excited got up to my room and yes it did have a tiny view of the pool but it was the same size room as all the others and I know this because I asked to see another room. For paying for a view would be ( maybe of the city or the beach or maybe the but not the pool area ) . The other problem I had was weird ( no cold water in the bathroom usually it's no hot water) I had the maintenance man in the room to look at it and here's what I got ( first he turn the knob for the cold water back and forth then and I quote he said " you have no cold water" then he got up and started to leave. I asked aren't you gonna fix it to which he said and I quote " I'll look into it". Both my son and I were sunburned so we couldn't shower for two days. The beds are old and worn out. But atleast the pool was refreshing. If your traveling from out of the USA this hotel has a good location for all the attractions ( Wet n Wild right next door) with decent accomidations. If your like me and expect to get what you pay for you might try another hotel in the area. Some of the staff are really friendly and some are there for a paycheck. I was impressed by the car charging pumps but at the same time disappointed in the overall facilities. But I believe with some new upgrades to the rooms then it could be a great hotel. Until they do that I would stay somewhere else.

Dear WillieB,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the cold (or lack thereof) in your room. The cartridge was changed in your room and the problem was eradicated. I am excited to tell you that we will be completing upgrades to the rooms. You mentioned the public areas that were completed first and I am glad that you enjoyed those, and now we are moving on to our rooms upgrade. The carpets, bedding and drapes will all be replaced in August and September of this year. The furniture will be replaced throughout the year next year.

I certainly hope that you will return to our hotel as you mentioned you liked our location and see all of the changes that we have made. As always, if you have any questions as to the progress of our renovation, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel was at a great location 2 minutes from universal! The price was a great deal as well. Staff was so nice and friendly and very accommodating Clean rooms and great area by the pool. The hotel also has a restaurant and a deli that has a store attached. They also offer a free shuttle to Universal and Islands of adventure.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool access room. The sliding doors open right onto the pool
1 Thank Wjohnson227
Dear Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for your review! I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the pool area. I will pass your comments on to our staff and we hope to see you soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My friend from Church and I stayed in two separate rooms at this Best Western, Orlando Gateway for 4 nights in June, 2014 and had a very pleasant experience at a very reasonable price. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. The hotel is perfectly located in Orlando to all the attractions, and has easy access to Interstate 4. Most importantly, the Staff was very pleasant and very helpful. Guest Service Agent Diana was the best. She was extremely personable, funny, and exhibited professionalism above the norm. If she lived in Pennsylvania, I would try to hire her to work at my company. Overall, staying at this hotel made our Florida vacation feel like we had a home away from home. I highly recommend this location.

Room Tip: They had rooms on the ground floor with sliding patio doors that open directly to the in-ground swim...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lee,

Thank you so much for your review of our property after your recent stay. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Diana made a positive impact on your vacation. She is a valuable asset for the hotel and I certainly will pass on your comment regarding her service and smile to her. The good news is that she is NOT planning on moving to PA any time soon.

Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel was very dated and very smelly. The carpet was horrific, would not want to walk on it barefoot. There was dog mess in the hallway and staff members walked by several times before any one finally cleaned it up. The ventilation was awful, in the morning when we woke up neither of us could breathe, our throats hurt to even swallow. The restaurant had a very slim and pricey menu, the cooks were cussing and threatening each other while guests were within ear shot. The only good thing I would say about the the hotel was the pool area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank 776carlag
Dear 776carlag,

I certainly apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have met with the department heads to discuss your review and find out just what went wrong (it appears several things did go wrong).

We will be replacing all of our carpeting throughout the hotel next month (August) in the rooms and the corridors. The two associates you mentioned have been dealt with and are no longer working at the hotel. As for the dogs, well, one, owners should be responsible enough to take care of any mishaps and if they don't they will be asked to leave the hotel and two, our associates should pick up where owners don't. I didn't have any reports of this during your stay and certainly apologize that it occurred.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future in hopes that we will restore your faith in our product.

Boynton Beach, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The Gateway Orlando Best Western was wonderful and fit right into our budget! They made life easy while visiting the theme parks almost across the street. I would and have already recommended this venue anytime. I'd like to thank everyone at the hotel for the wonderful time I had with my family at Universal-Islands of Adventure and the new Harry Potter sections.

Dear MaryAnn,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent stay with us. Our location is absolutely perfect for those who are going to see the new Harry Potter attraction at Universal Studios. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you and your family back soon.