Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando
Ranked #168 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The breakfast attendant was VERY rude, snatching food up in front of customers and speaking rudely to them.

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I first apologize that you had to experience that. I will have a word with both of my breakfast attendants about their behaviors and make sure they maintain professionalism to all guests. Thank you for notifying me and please next time let me know when this happens so I may address it immediately with my team member. If you would like to discuss this further or have additional feedback, please reach out to me. I hope you will consider us on your next visit to Orlando.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed for two nights on November 2013.
No complains for check-in, as the receptionist was nice and helpful. However when I asked her about phone-call fares she said: "local, not international, are free". Maybe she thought we intended to call our country. But I understood local as the opposite to international. Especially when I know that by November 2013, most US phone plans include most of the calls inside the USA for free.
Location is good, not far from Universal parks and very quiet. Parking space available, at least on November.
Room door didn't close by itself, you have to push it to lock it. And you better do it, especially when you're warned at the front desk about undesirable people walking along the corridors distributing (what's supposed to be) illegal pizza flyers.
Breakfast was extremely poor. Very few options for pastry, bakery, barely fruits. Unpleasant artificial flavoured juices. Once I was able to see when the clerk put a few yoghurts at the fridge. It took 2 minutes for them to end up. Never again replaced. Besides that, many other products run out long before closing time and they're never replaced. When asking the clerk about that (I saw a person doing it) she answered: "Sorry, the bread is over". And that was all.
The room and bathroom were normal, not dirty, not stained, not smelly. Just as it's supposed to be in a hotel. Cleaning products very scarce in compare to other -even cheaper- hotels. Air conditioning machine was very noisy. It woke me up each night every time it started.
And finally the phone issue. I made two phone calls of about two minutes each. Communication was poor, full of crackling and noises (later I discovered another newer wireless phone at the room, but I had used the old line-in one). I thought my calls were considered local since they were done to another city in the same state (Florida). Well, I was charged nearly $8 for those calls. I went to reception before check-out and asked for clarification. I explained the man I was told that "local, not international" calls were free. This man was not as friendly as the first receptionist. He said calls to Florida are not local and I must be charged. End of discussion.
I paid in cash those phone calls. However, the $10 hold on my credit card, which is supposed to cover those charges, lasted at least 15 days (it still remains currently when I'm writing this review and don't know when it'll be cleared).
So, I warn people coming from outside US and not using their mobile phones: be aware this hotel is making profit from phone calls!
My overall experience is medium. Maybe not too bad for short stayings. I've stayed in worse (but not much) places, but have stayed mostly in better ones. I'll try to find another choice if I ever come back to Orlando, even for a short trip. But not ruling out this completely, since for me it was cheap (hope they soon release my card hold). One thing is sure then: I'll keep myself far from the phone!

Room Tip: Never make a phone call unless you like being robbed. Wake up as early as possible if you want to h...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Wingate_Universal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about our hotel. We are sorry for not living up to your expectations. I would like to address couple of your issues and comments about my hotel. First you are absolutely right that the door should self-close and I apologize that didn’t happen. Every guest door in a hotel is mandated to close on its own as a safety issue. Sometimes guests will place heavy items on the door, which causes the door to lean preventing them from closing on its own. I will speak to my engineer & housekeeping and they will look at every door in the hotel and make any necessary adjustments. The pizza flyer distribution is an ongoing issue for all Orlando hotels. We take all measures to ensure that they do not enter the premises, but they still sneak in. For my property, I want to ensure the best safety for all my guests, which is why I want to inform you at check-in. In regards to the breakfast we have updated several new items and we are current with the Wingate by Wyndham brand standards. This ranges from the juices to all food items. Unfortunately I cannot deviate from the brand standards of what to purchase for my guest. I can however discuss with my breakfast attendant to make sure all items are stocked fully until 10am. The ac unit in your room is a standard unit. If it was loud or making a noise, we could of replaced it with another unit. Please inform us immediately about this as I do not want you losing sleep. The final issue is the phone calls that were placed from your room in my hotel. Local calls are free as long as they are within the city limit, meaning any calls beginning with 407 is complimentary. Calls to different area codes are long distance even though it may be in the same state. You are incorrect that the hotel makes a profit from long distance. We actually lose money, because it cost us more to hire a long distance phone carrier to have in the hotel for guest use. Before cell phones, everyone was forced to use hotel phones to call long distance and most of the profit went to the phone carriers and some to the hotels. Since guests use cell phones mainly now, only about 10% of our guests use long distance, which is not enough to cover the long distance carrier charges that the hotel pays. The fees are listed in your room that describes the costs for long distance and international calls. I apologize that you were misinformed about this. Lastly the credit card hold of $10 is released by the hotel on the day of checkout. This hold, drops from any credit usually in 2 – 5 business days. If the hold is still on your credit card, please contact your bank and speak with them about it. I wished you would have brought these issues you experienced to my attention personally so I could have made an effort to resolve them. This way I could have fixed your issues to make sure your stay was more enjoyable! I hope you take in consideration our point and give us another opportunity to show you our property. Again, I always suggest letting the general manager or manager on duty of any issues that you are experiencing. Please contact me on your next trip to ensure that there are no problems with your room, as I will personally make your reservation.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The facility was good. Universal studio is very close by. We enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and tidy..

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Thank you very much for your review and great rating! We are happy to know that we have met your expectations in all aspects during your stay. I would also like to thank you on behalf of the entire staff of our property for considering us when you return to Orlando. We hope to have the opportunity to deliver another stellar experience.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I am a Wyndham Rewards loyalty program, yet I was not greeted with water or snacks in my room or at the front desk. The facility was nice and the people were friendly, but it was not the same service I have grown used to in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you very much for your review and great rating! We are happy to know that we have met your expectations in all aspects during your stay. In regards to the pond behind the hotel, it is an uphill battle. The reason is we try to maintain it, but the 2 fast food companies being next to it causes their guest to litter in it. I am not sure why people cannot throw trash into garbage bins that. I would also like to thank you on behalf of the entire staff of our property for considering us when you return to Orlando. We hope to have the opportunity to deliver another stellar experience.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Whaouu honestly i did not expect a comfy and very good hotel like that. I stayed there from november 9th till 15th. I was afraid to be situated at the ground floor (1st floor) for the noise etc but there were such many advantages that i forgot it at all. Just next to a kfc and taco bell in case of late hungry :-) very next to the universal studios and at about 25/30 min from disney parks. Orlando is very a pleasant city. Breakfast is very very good with lot of different good products. You can also make your own waffles.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

I appreciate you for taking the time out of your day to give us great feedback from your recent stay with us. I am happy to see we provided you great service and our rooms were clean and fresh. We are very fortunate to be surrounded by so many restaurants, outlets, malls and many other attractions to see. I would also like to thank you on behalf of the entire staff of our property for considering us when you return to Orlando. We hope to have the opportunity to deliver another stellar experience.