Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando
Ranked #168 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I think the hotel is average, priced higher than what it is valued at. The facilities were too busy for the size of the hotel, reflected on its appearance and overwhelmed staff. The continental breakfast was below average. The facilities were clean but not kept up with the damage that high traffic causes.

Room Tip: The experience may be better during non-peak travel times.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Wingate_Universal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hello Karen D,
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that you had to experience an average hotel for your stay. I am aware and hear your concern. We are set to do a renovation towards the end of the year, which will make our property brand new. I will also discuss the breakfast options with my food vendor and see what we can do differently. I hope you will give us another opportunity after the renovation. If you would like to discuss this further or have additional feedback, please reach out to me. Thank you for staying at the Wingate by Wyndham.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Though the pool was so unclean you cannot see your feet, that should be the least of your worries. The three prostitutes and the pimp in the white Mercedes working out of the hotel should be. The scheme works with them letting each other in through the door by the pool. The John's then work their way through. This occurred on four of the nights I was there. I saw it first hand from the pool. Management must know or be involved. I suspect Universal would not endorse them if they knew.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Wingate_Universal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. In regards to the pool, it was just do to the DE Powder that makes the pool cloudy. The valve that operates it broke and therefore the reason for the cloudiness. As for the prostitution I wish you made us aware of it immediately, so we could of called the authorities. I can certainly attain to you that we are not involved and wished instead of observing the procedures notified us. We do not condone that in anyway at this hotel. Since I am aware of it now, I will notify the authorities. I hope you take in consideration our point and give us another opportunity to show you our property. Again, I always suggest letting the general manager or manager on duty of any issues that you are experiencing. Please contact me on your next trip to ensure that there are no problems with your room, as I will personally make your reservation.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

So I wake up to bedbug bites throughout my body. I inform the desk about it. She said the GM would bed contacting. Well, General Manager Rogi Krecek never called me to so much as apologize. Great customer service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kevin M
Wingate_Universal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Mr. Kevin M,
In regards to the review, I do want to apologize extensively that you were bitten in the first place. That should of never of happened at my hotel! I was aware of the situation of what occurred with you in the room. The reason I did not contact you personally, because I was out of town. I did send you an email on July 2, 2014.
This is what I wrote verbatim:
Hello Kevin,
I apologize about you experiencing that during your stay. Natasha immediately called out pest control company (Terminix) to have them inspect the room. Afterwards they did validated it was black ants and not bed bugs. If they were we would take different steps in resolving this.
Please next time you are in Orlando, let Natasha or I know so we may make your reservation and as a courtesy offer a 20% discount for your stay. I hope you understand and have a great week!
First let me inform you again and the Trip Advisor Reviewers that its was not BEDBUGS that bit you. We contacted Terminix pest control who does monthly servicing on our hotel and they did their evaluation of the what bit you. From their professional experience they said it was not bedbugs, but black ants. My Assistant General Manager Natasha Watson called and spoke to you about this the very next day. This is why its surprising to hear that you posted a review online that you were bit by bedbugs and I did not call you personally. When you did speak to Natasha she indicated that you were happy it was not bed bugs. You did not mention further that you wanted to speak with me, therefore why I sent an email. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 407 226-0900.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our room was dirty when we initially received it. We figured out why breakfast was complimentary when we walked downstairs to find soggy eggs and old apples. When you bite into them they turn brown, which clearly means they have been left out for a while. This place seems dark and very old. Clearly they need a renovation! Not to mention they will never give the customers the benefit of the doubt. I had numerous amounts of complaint that had to be followed up till way after my trip and in the end the GENERAL MANAGER called back to say that the most he could do was give me a 15% off my next stay at their hotel... "Oh thanks, yeah sure I'll come back for another night of bad customer service". If you are really on a tight budget and you don't mind napping in the slums .... just do it! Rather than stay in this hotel. Don't let them let you loose hope for all Wingate hotels. I have stayed at many and NONE have had service like this one. Pathetic.

Room Tip: It's probably better you choose the Quality Inn next door.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Wingate_Universal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Ms. Laura P,
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment about our hotel. I am sorry for not living up to your expectations. I like to address couple of your issues and comments about my hotel. I would like to point out to Trip Advisor reviewers that this guest did speak to my front office manager and myself several times. Each conversation composed of different problems or issues that was not told in the last conversation. I will go by the facts instead of hearsay, which will includes a response of the issues Ms. Laura listed in the review. First, I do apologize that you felt awful about your stay and wished I could have changed that for the better. The fact is you did stay at my hotel for 5 days and decided to mention all the issues you experienced at the end of check out. You wanted to be compensated all 5 nights in which I declined. This guest also contacted Wyndham Customer Care and upon their review and research, they did side with the hotel. In regards to the breakfast I understand some food items may not be up to expectations to all my guests. Please remember I have a large number of guests that eat at the hotel every morning. I disagree with the breakfast items being old or soggy, because we receive a new shipment from our food vendor 3 – 4 times a week. So unless it comes bad from the vendor, which it has and we return it immediately, but the breakfast items are fresh. Being here for 5 days we did turnover the breakfast at least twice. The hotel is clean and in great shape and I am not sure how it is dark? We are in need of an upgrade to bring the hotel up to today standards with our changing market. We are planning a renovation towards the end of the year. Based on the other reviews, our hotel is not a slum and I take great pride in the property. Your complaints unfortunately were items that were very minor or not up to your personal standards. I wished you would have brought these issues you experienced immediately to my attention personally, instead of waiting until your day of check out. If you told either myself or my mangers immediately, then it would of giving us a chance to correct the issue or offer an explanation. Either way we would have done our best to make you happy. If my hotel was not able to make you at ease, then I would have been more than happy to find you another accommodation that will. I hope you take in consideration our point and give us another opportunity to show you our property. Again, I always suggest letting the general manager or manager on duty of any issues that you are experiencing. The offer still stands as I want you to come back and have an enjoyable experience. Please contact me on your next trip to ensure that there are no problems with your room, as I will personally make your reservation.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have stayed at this Wingate twice before checking into Universal or Disney resorts - both times booked through Hotel Tonight at a great rate. Rooms are spacious and clean and decent breakfast is included. Great location - very close to Universal.

Room Tip: We had a nice room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Wingate_Universal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you very much for your review and great rating! We are happy to know that we have met your expectations in all aspects during your stay. I would also like to thank you on behalf of the entire staff of our property for considering us when you return to Orlando. We hope to have the opportunity to deliver another stellar experience.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The people where very friendly here. We originally rented a house outside Orlando. It ended being a bust. Left the first night and dropped our luggage at the Wingate hotel. The money was worth every penny, the breakfast was okay. The rooms were clean and they made our bed every day and left clean towels.

• Stayed: June 2014
Wingate_Universal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you very much for your review and great rating! We are happy to know that we have met your expectations in all aspects during your stay. Without positive or negative feedback we cannot improve our services or celebrate our accomplishments, again thanks for your feedback, we appreciate your business.

Reviewed 16 June 2014