“great place to stay in orlando”

Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando
Ranked #173 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
columbus, ohio
“great place to stay in orlando”
Reviewed 24 January 2010

stayed here with my husband after a business meeting where the hotel we were staying at was $380/night. just needed one more night stay and didn't want to pay a ton. ended up finding this hotel for $80/night. met all our expectations, and then some. our room was a a nice size with a king bed and pull out sofa. included refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and free wifi. our $380/night room had none of the above. this was also a great location...would consider coming back as a family if we ever needed to stay for visits to disney/universal studios.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Tunica
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Room was clean and comfortable, was in a good location. Had trouble checking in, was a mix up with reservation but other ok stay.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 5 January 2010

The hotel itself looks decent, but most of the workers (especially Lukas) are pretty rude and are unwilling to help. When we just checked into our hotel, we asked for and extra blanket and sheets, and without checking he said that they don't have any. But then one of the house keepers was passing by and he asked him if there were any and then housekeeper said "ofcourse"... The next day we asked him directions of a pizza place nearby and he had no maps to show us and just sent us looking for it ourselves... we spent over 40 minutes looking for the place which ended up being across the street from the hotel!!! Another negative of the hotel was that the sink in one of the room's wasn't draining properly.... this should have been noticed by staff prior to our checking in... overall the building itself if on par with other similar properties like Holiday Inn or even Marriott Courtyards, but the bad service makes it MUCH worse... A note on the breakfast: its not very good. They have some eggs made from a mix, only white bread, only ONE waffle maker so the wait is pretty long... we will NEVER stay in a Wingate hotel again

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank otak55
wingtateuniversal, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 4 February 2010
I would like to address the concerns you experienced at my hotel. First you are said that Lucas was negative and did not meet your request for extra blankets and sheets. As I was not there at the time, I will say that Lucas has been with my property for several months and this is the first bad comment on his behalf. Either way I will address this with Lucas and make sure it will not happen again. As for the directions on where to get a pizza, I find that inconclusive. We have Dominos / Flippers pizza menus and key cards in every room. As for surrounding areas, we have many to choose from. Our location boasts many great places to eat, including pizza places. I find it unlikely that Lucas would not give you a map, as we have several of them in the lobby.
In any case, I urge you to speak with a manger next time so we may fix the problem immediately, instead of hearing about the bad situation on the internet. If I was not able to help you with the issues, then feel free to post your comments. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
pa
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We stayed at this hotel a few years back (the last time we went to Florida). So, when we decided to head to Florida for Christmas, we booked it way in advance (like last December). Got a super great rate!!

Well, we pulled up to the hotel on Christmas Eve and they said that they had no record of our reservations. I called Triprewards (the bonus program website that Wingate Inn is a part of), and they said that they did send it but again re-sent the reservations. I honestly don't know who to blame on that one, but you could imagine the disgust I felt holding my reservation printouts in my hand and being told that we were not in their system. This was the first time ever with a problem with a reservation thru triprewards in about 30+ bookings.

Well, once the newly re-sent reservations got in their system, then we had a room-except for New Years Eve (the last day of our stay). Well, I don't know how that would've been resolved because we had to leave a few days early anyway.

The positives: Older gentleman morning worker was very helpful and courteous and always set up the breakfast a bit earlier than advertised, which helped us since we were always leaving early for the parks. It is REALLY CLOSE to Universal Studios (like 2 minute drive!!). It is about 15-20 minute drive from all DisneyWorld Theme Parks too. Has small outdoor pool and small indoor hot tub. It was quiet our whole stay. Had 2 computers off of lobby for guests to use. Interesting showerhead in shower.

The Neutrals: Free breakfast was passable at best. Powdered eggs, ham OR sausage, small assortment of pastries, one type of apple for a fruit, coffee and juices of course, wafflemaker. No oatmeal, no yogurt, no grits, no hot chocolate. Room seemed tired, nothing major wrong but not spanking new either.

The bads: Heater in room (yes it was very cool a few days this Christmas Break) smelled bad, but AC was OK. And, as described above, the reservation problems.

Overall, a middle of the road hotel experience here.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
wingtateuniversal, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Convention Ctr Closest Universal Orlando, responded to this review, 4 February 2010
In regards to the reservations not being in our system I do apologize for not having it at the time of check-in. I am unsure why it was not in our system when you arrived. Unfortunately with Wyndham Rewards any reservations utilizing reward points must come directly from central reservations. We cannot make direct reservations using guest rewards points. This is to ensure security of your points and your identity is compromised. The gentleman you spoke of is David and I will make sure to give proper praise and reward for going above and beyond service. I apologize the breakfast was not up to par, as we are in quality assurance standards by Wyndham. As for the heater smelling, it might have been not in use for a while and when you turn the heat it may give a burn smell. This is from the dust sitting on the coils and as it heats the dust burns. Our property should of addressed this before you arrived.
On any I suggest letting the general manager know of your issues/concerns. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
St Pete Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We were in Orlando to go to universal studios on Friday and Sat. Checked out of hotel on Sunday. We got into town on Friday at 1130am and were allowed to check in then. Got a room on the first floor near the pool. Room was a great size for 2 people. king bed was comfortable and bath room was clean and good size. Room has high ceilings and looks fairly new. Only takes about 5 minutes to drive to universal - it's maybe 1 mile down the road. lots of places to eat. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Porto Alegre
Reviewed 29 July 2009

I had the most amazing time in this Hotel. I went with my family. Rooms are clean, renovated, staff is great, breakfast is included and its good quality. Walking distance of several nice restaurants, near Universal Studios....20 minutes driving to Disney. Really close to the Millenia Mall (one of the nicest malls in Orlando)

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
sao paulo
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Great rooms, great breakfast, superb location, friendliest staff!
You can either choose a regular or a suite room, both are always very clean and cozy. Tv, micro and fridge in rooms.
Bathrooms are nice sized. Housekeeping keeps everything neat!
Included breakfast has everything you need from toasts to eggs, from muffins to cereals.
Besides parks, supermarkets, pharmacies are all very close.
Very safe - surveilance videos all around!
What else would you need in Orlando?

• Stayed July 2009