“Unpleasant Experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Boston, Massachusetts
“Unpleasant Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

From check in to check out, it wasn't fun. The rate I paid was different (much higher) than the internet rate I planned on paying; staff was not the least bit accomodating while this was being worked out (I had documentation). We drove and brought food, that soon spoiled as the fridge was not working; though they replaced it rather quickly, the Florida humidity is not match for perishables. When I travel and choose a good name like Marriott, I do so in part because I believe their service and reputation can make good on any minor problems that often pop up; this was not the case here and for more than $250 per night, I expected better service. When I asked for other guests to quiet down at 2:00 a.m., that request was also ignored. We ended up leaving 3 days short of our planned departure and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sandrajfb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (941)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

We just arrived home from a week at the Grande Vista, July 1-8. Arrived earlier than 4 p.m. and our 3 bedroom villa wasn't ready. We headed to Downtown Disney and hung out there. I had my choice of 3 different buildings (none of them were located near either of the two "main" pools but I chose Building 90 due to it being a first/ground floor unit. I had read how the elevators were so slow if they were working at all. I have a bad leg. We had a 2 bedroom unit with a connecting studio. I liked that we were connected between the "walls" not like when you are only connected by breezeway. Rooms were clean and spacious. Building 90 was refurbished in 2007 and it still looks new. Plenty of room for 3 teens and mom and dad. Lanai area was screened in, that was a plus. Our view was a "pond/lake" and a fairway. Very quiet. That was one nice thing about not being in a building by a main pool. There was a quiet pool in the next building but we never used it.

We didn't use the "cannon pool" either. All our pool time was at the main pool due to the kids playing volleyball, ping pong, etc between swimming. We never had trouble finding chairs as some people had said. True, the pool was always busy but never ridiculously crazy. Parking was fine. Lots of spaces to park by buildings. That was never an issue.

Wanted to try a spa service but prices were really high (for me). Fitness center was nice and plenty of equipment. You MUST be out by 10, in fact, housekeeping came at 9:30 and asked when we were going. She acted put out. That ticked me off, we were going to be out at 10. They don't need to bother people when we know it is 10!

Another thing that aggravated me was the problem with cell service inside the units. It was impossible to make a phone call from inside the villa. If I went out on the lanai and stood by the screen I could do it. Perhaps it is a Verizon thing but I saw several others doing the same thing.

We had an issue with our stove not working. Called maintenance and they quickly came to fix it. The value for us was great because we were gifted a week from my parents timeshare and we only paid the exchange fee. If I were paying cash I would NOT stay here. Why? There were VERY FEW organized activities for teenagers. My teens were very disappointed in this. In fact, we saw very few teenagers here. Lots of little ones. If it weren't for the volleyball net, they would have been bored as there is only one ping pong table and one pool table.

We stayed at Vacation Village Parkway last year and there was so much more for the kids to do there. Overall though, the price was right this time and we had what I always want more of--FAMILY TIME!! Feel free to email me specific questions!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank IowaDisneyMom
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed in a very comfortable 3-bedroom villa. Each bedroom had its own full bath. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were quiet. I would definitely recommend this hotel to people traveling with a larger group. We loved the large balconies off the living room and bedrooms. We also enjoyed the kitchen in dining areas of the villa so we did not have to go out for every meal. This hotel would not be as convenient for business travel however. Much more of a vacation type of place. I would definitely recoomend to friends.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank Libs1414
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

Grande Vista is like a huge apartment complex. There are multiple buildings, and multiple amenities. This was my second stay, and this time in a 2 bedroom suite. A 2 bedroom is pretty much a one bedroom connected to another one bedroom with a kitchen and a living area. It's pretty decent, a bit oldish, but so are many Marriotts that are not JW or other upscale resorts. Pools are pretty crowded, the property is overall clean, but needs updating; elevators are veeery slow. Let me just put it this way, if I had not had the discount, I would never pay $200 something a night regular rate for this room.

One advice though, DO NOT go to Disney in May. Such a huuuge mistake. There are lines for rides, for food, for shops, everything. It's literally a human zoo. There was a buffet at the Magic Kingdom, and you had to wait in line of 30 people just to find out if there are open reservations for that night. There are lines of 15 people even for the ice cream! Wow.

Never Again.

P.S. Also stayed at the JW Marriott Orlando, very nice and modern rooms, although on the smaller side. Great view!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Clovis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

We stayed here a week in a 2 bedroom suite and were extremely pleased with the room and service. The room was well equipped with full size kitchen, one bedroom with two queen beds, and master bedroom with king bed and a tub to die for. The tub was big enough for two and was jetted. The master had an enclosed patio with a ceiling fan which was nice to sit in the evening and relax without worrying about bugs. The spa was nice, not the best, but everyone was extremely nice and helpful. All the staff at the resort was friendly and always made sure our requests were granted. There was a nice breakfast/lunch spot called Grande cafe that had reasonable quick meals which includes pizza hut. We enjoyed our stay and would come back again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank ccs124
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

This was our 2nd stay at MGV - with little kids. Our room had a slight musty smell and was an x-smoking room, I purchased an air freshener from Publix on the first night which helped, but still the must was strong. Clean rooms as usual, and staff was okay - watch the bartenders - they were pouring cheap vodka when we ordered (and paid for) top-shelf. The first time, I let it slide, the 2nd time, I had to say something. He said it was a mistake. Grounds and pool areas were clean, food was average, but we didn't visit Nicks this time. Nicks was great the last time. Fire alarm went off accidentally one day, and the housekeeper rapping on our door at 10 a.m. on the dot on our day of departure was slightly annoying.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Schertz, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

Just returned from 7 day stay at Grande Vista. We are Marriott owners of a Gold Week in St. Thomas, and traded our week for Grande Vista so we could take the kids to Disney. We have stayed previously at Marriott vacation resorts in St. Thomas, Breckenridge, and Aruba.
We had done a tour of Grande Vista in 2007 before we purchased, and it was advertised as one of the nicer properties. Here are some of the things we liked/disliked:
The grounds were very nicely done and the amenities (pools, tennis courts, etc.) were nice. I liked the central courtyard area with the store, gym, and activity center(s). Although the kids prefer pools with slides, they enjoyed the water cannons and fountains at the pool we used. The resort is within a couple of minutes from shopping dining and grocery stores, and within 15-20 minutes from Disney parks. There are 2 main pools and 2 smaller pools at the proprty. The 2 main pools have poolside bars/dining, which is nice. We had a couple of minor problems with the room upon check-in (a missing sprayer at the kitchen sink, and there were roaches on the back patio). The maintenance staff were there within an hour and fixed the sprayer and sprayed the patio.
On the downside, we were hoping to get a room close to the one of the main pools, but the only thing they had available was one of the older buildings on the fringes of the resort. We had a view of part of the golf course, but it was a LONG walk to get to the main area. Even though we arrived early and told them we were Marriott owners, the front desk said all the good buildings were reserved for Grande Vista owners. The design of our building could have been better, as well. Thare was one elevator for the whole building, and not only was it very slow, but there were many times we had to wait for cleaning crews to get on and off with their carts. They could have added a service elevator for the guests' convenience. Also, we stopped by the poolside bar to grab a drink before picking up a pizza, and the female bartender was pretty rude. She was doing a 'wheel of fortune' game with a couple of other folks, and they must have been tipping well, because she treated my wife and I like major annoyances. Another female bartender we had at the kid's pool area couldn't have been nicer, though. There was a thunderstorm that closed the pool, so we camped out under her awning and had a couple of drinks and she was extremely nice.
Overall, I would recommend the resort, but not enthusuastically.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family