“Decent place to stay. Could have been nicer”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center
Ranked #246 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Boston, Massachusetts
“Decent place to stay. Could have been nicer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I stayed here for a conference at the Orange County Convention Center. For the most part it was decent. I got a good price through the event. The room was nice, but the tub could have been a little cleaner. (It was not a mess, just thought the tub could have been cleaner) It was a nice surprise to find we had a suite, the room had a full size refrigerator, a stove top and kitchen sink. The air conditioner did not seem to be working at its' best and there was only a powered vent to cool down the bedroom area from the living room.

The breakfast was decent enough, I would have liked a wider selection but it was happy with it. It is close to the attractions and some shuttle service is provided.

The pool was OK and quite refreshing when I got to use it. Whe the towels ran out, they were quick to replace them.

I would stay here again, but I might try somewhere else first.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
gmwestwood, Front Office Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear AVguy77,
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.Let me assure you we are continuing to make improvements to the hotel to make every stay most comfortable.I hope you will be able to return again and see our enhancements.
Kewal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

We stayed at Hawthorn Suites from 21st May-4th June 2013.

Location is good at the south end of I.Drive. There is an I.Ride and Lynx bus stop right outside. It is a 10 minute walk from Seaworld where the number 50 lynx bus will take you to Disney. There are some places to eat and get groceries 5 mins walk away but often it’s cheaper to go further up I.drive.

Breakfast serves from 7-9. There was never much of a queue and always enough tables spare. There was a variety of cereal, breads, fruit, pancakes, sausage and egg everyday. The quality and temperature of food served is okay.

The room was great, we could hardly fault it. Size was excellent with a large king size bed and wardrobe (could have done with a few more hangers), a flat screen TV and a safe deposit box. The lounge area had 2 hobs, microwave, sink, kettle, toaster, coffee machine, dryer and a large fridge/freezer. There was also a pull out sofa, table and chairs and another flat screen TV. The was A/C units in both the room and lounge area which worked very well. Between the lounge and bedroom there was a sink area with a hair dryer and enough space to put all your toiletries. The bathroom itself was okay size but could have been refurbished. There were cracks on the bathtub and the edges were grimy. The shower was always leaking water. The room included a book which gave you lots of information about the room and the hotel and a list of fees for using the room phone.

Our room was cleaned everyday of the stay including Memorial Day. They provided us with fresh bins, towels, soap and shampoo everyday. The only complaint with housekeeping is that when we left dirty cutlery in the room they would take it away and not replace them.

The game room is small- only four old looking machines. They are quite cheap to use though. The pool area is nice to relax in and never gets too busy. The pool itself was okay size and was clean (but could have benefited by looking cleaner with a refurb). The hot tub was cosy and very warm. We didn't use the bar but the happy hour of 2for1 cocktails did look appealing.

There is a free shuttle to the parks but we wanted to be there from park opening to close- so it was much better for us to use Lynx buses. There is a small shop in the hotel where you can buy food and a vending machine for drinks.

The front desk staff could have been more welcoming. When we asked them for more cutlery it took two phone calls and a 45 minute wait to get some.

You have to pay $50 deposit when you check in. My serious advice is that you PAY THIS IN CASH. We paid by card, and noticed on a bank statement they’d taken two lots of 50 out. The desk said it was a mistake- the excuse being that my bank hadn't released the money straight away, so they'd tried again, but then it was released so 100 dollars got taken out. I couldn't believe they had taken more money off our card without even telling us. But after 4 working days (the time they said it would take to go back in my account), I still didn't have it. On the last day of the holiday they said it still hadn't been released back to me because the name I’d booked the room under and the card name I’d paid with were different. Whatever the reason, the staff didn’t seem to care about the problem one bit and never once apologised for the inconvenience. Anyway, I’ve been home for over a week now and still haven’t got my money back!

Overall, this hotel is good for the rate you pay. The room is the best part of it and I would recommend it for people travelling on a budget. But service could be better!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola N
gmwestwood, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear Nicola,
Thank you for taking the time to write your extensive review.I am happy to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.Let me apologize sincerely for the issues with your credit card but I can assure you that none of the funds were taken out and incidental holds are released upon check-out but can take a while depending on banks and card issuers particularly on international transactions.Thank you again for your comments and let me if your issue regarding the credit card hold is not resolved so that I can personally get the matter taken care of quickly.
Binta
San Fernando La Union, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

stayed here with wife and kids and an aunt during our visit to disney and surrounding attractions. we had a room with 2 beds and a separate living area. the room is ok for the price ( we got it discounted thru AAA ). location is good with a lot of dining and restaurants nearby.

breakfast was a bit lacking in variety, service was ok.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
gmwestwood, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write your review.I am happy to read that you found our location to be convenient to area attractions and dining and we hope you will give us another opportunity to make your stay better than just ok.
Binta
Alloa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Hi stayed for 2 weeks in May at this hotel.

It is near SeaWorld on the South side of International Drive, stop 30 on the I Trolley.
not the best location but there are some places to eat within walking distance. The I trolley does pass every 20 minutes and there is plenty only a few stops away.

The rooms were clean and ok, fridges, microwaves etc, our group had 1 double suite and 2 bedroom suite. Safe in rooms free, hairdryers, iron, ice buckets etc.

They were spacious but could be modernised.. The breakfast was to be honest much the same for the 2 weeks and the choice could be better.

There is a little shop run by the hotel but I felt they could do more. If you are having a pool day not much in hotel during the day.

The Family Restaurant is only 2 mins away and offers takeaway food and sit in is great, try the pies - fab.

The bar was to be honest a hit or miss. There is a happy hour between 4 and 7pm, buy one get one free. The choice if ok but again could be made better, some music, better cocktails and service. The bar was closed some night by 8pm, and not opened much past 10pm! Very sporadic so hard to rely on it. This needs improving a lot.

Nothing fantastic to say but also nothing too bad happened. Value hotel. There is better.

Room Tip: Upgrade to 2 bedroom cost extra $430!.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
gmwestwood, Front Office Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Lesley,
Thank you for letting us know of your experience here recently.Your comments are very important to us so that we may continue to make upgrades and improvements in all areas of our facility and service.We hope you will be able to stay with us again and allow us the opportunity to make your vacation fantastic.
Cheyenne, Wyoming
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Only stayed here for a convention because other hotels were already booked for the duration of DDW. Place was dirty! Even with the convention discount, was NOT worth it. My room had a toilet that had air in system which sounded like a machine gun ALL NIGHT LONG! Only got a repair the NEXT day after multiple complaints and I had to get on phone with repairman because the front desk attendant couldn't speak english well enough to explain it. Even after he "repaired" the toilet, it repeatedly filled all night long due to an improper drain so I STILL had to change my room. This toom had a rod in main bedroom clooset that was ready to break since it had NO support on one end. I informed the front desk of this but they seemed uninterested. I had NO time to change rooms again but informed them so I would NOT be charged for any damage.

When I called the central office, I was told to inform the manager, which I HAD done BUT never received a call back. They never even ASKED me if everything was OK after the "repair". The Wyndham office told me that ANY adjustments have to be handled through local owner / manager. Apparently, someone pays Wyhdham a fee so they can attach the Wyhdham name after the property title and Wyndham takes NO responsibility, I ONLY got ONE HALF DAY OFF my bill at the end of my stay and NEVER spoke NOR was I contacted by e-mail by the owner / manager although the central office ASSURED me they left a voice mail and e-mail with him!

Morning breakfast was ALWAYS late. Any meat served was greasy and scrambled eggs were substitutes and always underdone. Only the breads were fresh and at least the coffee was good and strong.

What really bothered me was the SCAM involving the front desk where they would call cabs for me IWTHOUT METERS because I wanted to charge the fare to my room since they didn't take a credit card in cab. I need to keep business expenses separate from personal ones. I found out later they were OVERCHARGING me when I got a return fare for less than the room charge! I am contacting the better business bureau as well as the taxi and limosine comission for the city of Orlando. NEVER GOING BACK!

Room Tip: Don't come here!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Charles K
gmwestwood, Front Office Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your extensive review regarding your stay here recently.
The hotel accomodated your every concern and duly compensated you for your inconvenience.
Let me assure you that we received humble gratitude and gracious compliments from almost all of the convention attendees including the taxi services who have received very positive reviews as you will judge from previous responses.I apologize sincerely if your experience was anything else but satisfactory and I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you our excellent services.
Longview, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed here the week of May 20 - May 25, 2013. The suites are clean and nice. I am sure you could find newer and nicer, but I would definately stay here again. My excellent rating is due to the property manager, Ms. Binda Patel. Our first night in Orlando, coming back from Disney and within three blocks from the hotel, we wrecked our SUV. We drove our own vehicle in from Texas. Ms. Patel helped my husband fax paperwork back and forth to the insurance company, make copies of things they needed and then when we couldn't get a car rental (the SUV is too damaged to drive and still in Orlando) home on Friday, she made arrangements so that we could keep our room for another night, even though we were not reserved that night and it was on a holiday weekend. She went out of her way to help calm our nerves and allowed us to salvage our "once in a lifetime trip". Thank you so much Ms. Patel. --- The Lowery's.

Room Tip: If you have time get a $5 Trolley Pass. You can ride into town and get on and off the trolley all d...
Dear Angela,
Thank you for your kind words which I will most certainly pass on to Binta.I trust you returned home safely and if there is anything else we can assist you please let us know.Thank you again for taking the time to write your review so quickly despite having to deal with your unfortunate incident.
Farmington, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Stayed here in May 13-17 on business and while it was a pretty good distance from the convention center, it was a good stay. The rooms are average to just above and are clean. They could use a bit of refurb..mine had a hunk missing out of the carpet and some yellowing in the shower, but it was clean. The breakfast wasn't all that good..not as good as others with the free "Hot Breakfast", but they did have free wine/beer at night (limit of 2) that was nice. The pool was small, but refreshing. Wouldn't make a real good kids hotel, but fine for a business stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
gmwestwood, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Orlando Convention Center, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear AnB,
I am happy to read that you had a good stay during your recent business visit.I have noted your comments and will pass them on to the appropriate departments so that we can continue to make improvements to further enhance our facility.